Cav Wins His First Big Race

Slim

Which makes my original post correct.

Yeah, fair enough Declan, but the final would have been a lot more interesting if he'd had a chance. Effectively the last stage is a procession this year, the standings really can't be changed by it.

Some amazing pics of this years event on the big picture:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/07/2...ce.html#photo19

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was good lead out and positioning for the corner for the gap

would have preferred a better finish for his win but great to see an emphatic victory

Brilliant win for Cavendish! I scared the dog with my shout when he went over the line.

Mark was unbelievable. .. Renshaw that is. They said that he used to lead out for Hushovd - I bet the Norwegian wishes he still was. Hincapie amazing too - especially with a dodgy collarbone.

Yeah, fair enough Declan, but the final would have been a lot more interesting if he'd had a chance. Effectively the last stage is a procession this year, the standings really can't be changed by it.

10 points in it, the disq lost him 13, so without that he'd have won the green. Bloody awful call.

But Cav himself said that Thor probably rode to consolidate his position today.

He said he might have. I didn't think so, he tried to stay glued to cavs wheel the whole time, but Garmin split the pack and Hushovd was on the wrong side. Besides, if I was him, I'd want to win clear of the disqualification points.

Awesome win for Cav on the Champs Elysees...

http://www.sporza.be/permalink/1.570302

6 wins in one Tour is an outstanding achievement and sets Cav above every other British Tour sprinter with 10 wins in only 2 Tours...

Great coverage of his being Manx as well, with BBC, Sky and others all calling him the 'Manx Missile' and the 'Isle of Man's prince of sprints', and renaming the event the 'Tour de Manx'. Makes you proud to be Manx!

Anybody who knows about marketing, branding and advertising will understand the potential value to the Island and its image of an asset like Cav, the fastest road cycling sprinter on the planet. Perceptions matter. And millions of people across the world will now associate the island with something other than being a 'tax haven' [whether you agree with that term - its the perception], birching, an out of date language and dangerous motor cycle road racing....

Well done Cav - we salute you!!

But Cav himself said that Thor probably rode to consolidate his position today.

He said he might have. I didn't think so, he tried to stay glued to cavs wheel the whole time, but Garmin split the pack and Hushovd was on the wrong side. Besides, if I was him, I'd want to win clear of the disqualification points.

He probably knew he didn't have much chance of winning, but he only had to finish in the top 16 to retain green, and that's what he made sure he did.

He probably knew he didn't have much chance of winning, but he only had to finish in the top 16 to retain green, and that's what he made sure he did.

Your right, but it still looks to be an extra harsh penalty given how close the competition was in the end. Look at the rest of the points table, there's nobody else in contention.

Archived