Cav Wins His First Big Race

Slim

Ooh - bitchiness abounds on twitter - I'm loving this...

lancearmstrong: Seeing these comments from AC. If I were him I'd drop this drivel and start thanking his team. w/o them, he doesn't win.

about 10 hours ago from web

lancearmstrong: hey pistolero, there is no "i" in "team". what did i say in March? Lots to learn. Restated.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lancearmstrong: Seeing these comments from AC. If I were him I'd drop this drivel and start thanking his team. w/o them, he doesn't win.

“My relationship with Lance is zero,” Contador said at a news conference, one day after winning his second Tour. “He is a great rider and has completed a great race, but it is another thing on a personal level, where I have never had great admiration for him and I never will.”

Lance is out of order, Contador hasn't slagged his team, he's slagged Armstrong.

He probably knew he didn't have much chance of winning, but he only had to finish in the top 16 to retain green, and that's what he made sure he did.

Your right, but it still looks to be an extra harsh penalty given how close the competition was in the end. Look at the rest of the points table, there's nobody else in contention.

That's the problem, the other top sprinters were either missing or just gave up because they knew they could not beat Cavendish. If they had been competing properly, Thor would have had less points at the finishes and in the intermediates, and Cav would have walked it.

In that one quote yes, but it isn't the only thing he's said. You can infer from his comments about the tension in the hotel that he was unhappy with the team set up, despite the fact that they helped him win the Tour. Of course he isn't going to slag them directly - he isn't stupid. Lance's point, while driven perhaps by the personal slagging, is still valid - why spend time slagging Lance when you can praise the team that got you to the top of the podium.

Personally I like them both. Contador is an astounding athlete and Armstrong both that and an excellent strategist. I do think Contador was hard done by with Armstrong being foisted into his team with no clear direction about who was top dog, but I think the tension between them has only added to the dynamic of this year's tour - how boring would it have been if it had been all smiles and pats on the back?

“My relationship with Lance is zero,” Contador said at a news conference, one day after winning his second Tour. “He is a great rider and has completed a great race, but it is another thing on a personal level, where I have never had great admiration for him and I never will.”

Lance is out of order, Contador hasn't slagged his team, he's slagged Armstrong.

He said the hardest part of the race was being in the hotel after the races with the Astana team (who weren't happy with him). It stems from Contador's decision to attack on the Colombiere pass, dropping his team mate Kloeden. The Schleck brothers went with Contador, meaning they also gained time on Kloeden and Armstrong, ruling out an Astana 1-2-3 which was their goal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went to see Twiggo in the British time trial championship at the weekend as it was held a couple of miles from my house. He totally outclassed the field. Up close, if you didn't know he was a finely honed professional athlete you would seriously think he is anorexic. I have no idea how he's managed to maintain all that power after all that weight loss, though given that he's published his blood test results it obviously isn't by dubious means. The man must have one of the lowest body fat percentages around - he's all bone, muscle and skin.

I went to see Twiggo in the British time trial championship at the weekend as it was held a couple of miles from my house. He totally outclassed the field. Up close, if you didn't know he was a finely honed professional athlete you would seriously think he is anorexic. I have no idea how he's managed to maintain all that power after all that weight loss, though given that he's published his blood test results it obviously isn't by dubious means. The man must have one of the lowest body fat percentages around - he's all bone, muscle and skin.

Yep, drugs or no drugs, he's literally worked his arse off to lose the weight and keep strong. It's a shame it's all overshadowed by drugs, but I guess it's the history in the sport.

Archived