The Big Freeview Con

tucker

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yesterday i recieved a Switchover help scheme pack ,this morning i made an enquiry and was told that the Isle of Man transmitter will only be broadcasting 5 digital channels ,first ive heard of this,is anyone else aware?

We've covered it here before yes:

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php...amp;hl=freeview

It's not something to get excited about, install an astra dish and jump on freesat, and you get loads of channels including hd.

We've covered it here before yes:

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php...amp;hl=freeview

It's not something to get excited about, install an astra dish and jump on freesat, and you get loads of channels including hd.

Slim, I like the sound of this but am a technical illiterate. Does anyone know an aerial company that they could recommend? I have a traditional aerial on my chimney 3 floor up that I would dearly love to get removed in the process (along with all the redundant cabling).

Freesat looks a great option for my families needs.

Slim, I like the sound of this but am a technical illiterate. Does anyone know an aerial company that they could recommend? I have a traditional aerial on my chimney 3 floor up that I would dearly love to get removed in the process (along with all the redundant cabling).

Freesat looks a great option for my families needs.

I used Clear-vu, they were fine.

Apparently the channel list for terrestrial digital following the switchover is:

BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, CBBC CHANNEL, BBC NEWS 24, ITV, C4, ITV2, ITV3, MORE 4, E4, ITV 4, QUIZCALL, CITV, BBC4, CBEEBIES, BBC PARLAIMENT, CHANNEL 5, FILM 4 + 1, COMMUNITY CHANNEL

Not great compared to satellite, but more than 5 channels.

To switch to freesat is easy if you have an existing dish, just unplug the sky shite and pug in your new box thats it, if you have sky+ then just get a duel freesat box with recorder it all works the same.

As a bonus I have been informed if you connect your sky+ box to a LNB input without the card in for 3 months then the record feature will still work on sky free channels as it gives up trying to update the card software to remove it at that point, it is also possible to obtain sky+ cards that work without subscription on the free channels but I don't know where, in addition there are sites that tell you how to modify the sky+ card tracks on the chip so that stops it being written to, thus keeping the sky+ facility.

So in theory you can have a new freesat with HD and record and also use your old sky+ box for sky free channels and still record just by using a splitter on the cables from the LNB's

I would be inclined to hold off buying a Freesat+ PVR (recorder) box for the moment since the web forums are full of people complaining of failed recordings, software glitches etc.

Rather like when Freeview PVRs were first launched. Best to wait until the problems have been identified and solved. Because not all problems are ultimately firmware / software fixable.

Yesterday i recieved a Switchover help scheme pack ,this morning i made an enquiry and was told that the Isle of Man transmitter will only be broadcasting 5 digital channels ,first ive heard of this,is anyone else aware?

That's seriously crap!! Anyone know why?! It's bad enough we can;t get it until they turn terrestrial off - now this!

Sultan and Bish...

I used Clear-vu, they were fine.

Apparently the channel list for terrestrial digital following the switchover is:

BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, CBBC CHANNEL, BBC NEWS 24, ITV, C4, ITV2, ITV3, MORE 4, E4, ITV 4, QUIZCALL, CITV, BBC4, CBEEBIES, BBC PARLAIMENT, CHANNEL 5, FILM 4 + 1, COMMUNITY CHANNEL

Not great compared to satellite, but more than 5 channels.

So let me get this straight. You go thru the hassle of the changover and buying a box to get 5 shitty channels? Is that right?

Sorry to be a dunce, but can someone explain to me in words of one syllable what I should do?

I have Sky+, not HD, but a digital tick, HD TV. I would love to forego the £30 odd that I pay to Sky. We only watch the terrestrial channels, but through Sky and now and again the other channels. Of all the aspects of Sky, we love Sky+ the bestest.

To switch to freesat is easy if you have an existing dish, just unplug the sky shite and pug in your new box thats it, if you have sky+ then just get a duel freesat box with recorder it all works the same.

As a bonus I have been informed if you connect your sky+ box to a LNB input without the card in for 3 months then the record feature will still work on sky free channels as it gives up trying to update the card software to remove it at that point, it is also possible to obtain sky+ cards that work without subscription on the free channels but I don't know where, in addition there are sites that tell you how to modify the sky+ card tracks on the chip so that stops it being written to, thus keeping the sky+ facility.

So in theory you can have a new freesat with HD and record and also use your old sky+ box for sky free channels and still record just by using a splitter on the cables from the LNB's

Oooo wouldn't that be nice if it works!

Gladys, you can cut your sky subs to a tenner a month if you only really want the terrestial channels and just want the sky+ recording facility, they are not too keen to let you drop down to this, but stand firm

Freesat has a good selection of channels, but the equivelant of the sky+ box, the freesat pvr is very new, and is out of stock almost immediately as soon as it comes on to the shelves, lots of folks wanting to kiss sky bye bye!

I have Sky+, not HD, but a digital tick, HD TV. I would love to forego the £30 odd that I pay to Sky. We only watch the terrestrial channels, but through Sky and now and again the other channels. Of all the aspects of Sky, we love Sky+ the bestest.

Gladys, what I'd do is what I'm doing. Cut you sky+ sub down to the absolute minimum, which is about £14 a month, for just the terrestrial channels and a few nice extras.

Then you've got a decision. Humax do a freesat HD PVR (Sky+ like box) which is looking very good, but isn't quite there yet and is expensive. When that becomes a bit cheaper (say £150 ish) and a bit more stable, you can either go to that and get BBC and ITV hd with sky+ like features, or you can move to Sky+ hd for less money, but a sub of about £24 quid a month.

Or you could be brave and move straight to the humax foxsat HD now, at £300 you've paid for it in 10 months of cancelled sky.

I recon Sky HD will be free of the extra £10 a month soon.

Well it seems i was fed a load of BS by the clueless ba****ds at the Switchover Help Scheme

"The Switchover Help Scheme is run by the BBC,under an agreement with the Isle of Man government and UK Government,to deliver practical help at a reduced cost to convert one TV in your home to recieve the digital signal."

"The Switchover Help Scheme is run by the BBC,under an agreement with the Government to help older and disabled people make the change to digital TV."

Explains it all i suppose :angry:

http://www.helpscheme.co.uk/en/company/index.php

http://www.freeview.co.uk/

Archived