The Big Freeview Con

tucker

I wasn't commenting on the quality of the kit; I was referring to the fact that the Freesat system offers so few programmes to watch. His Honour, in Karsales (Harrow) versus Wallis, declared that: "A car which will not go is not a car at all". Likewise, a satellite receiver which offers no programmes (or very few) is not really a receiver at all.

The Beeb has made a fundamental error with this, in my view. It should have facilitated the reception of programmes other than its own (and one or two ITV progs). The fact that it hasn't done so will severely reduce its attraction to many people.

81 channels on freesat currently, and an additional 200 odd channels on fta. They're crossing over onto freesat at about 20 a month.

That's not a car which will not go Sebrof, that's not very few. What is it you're missing?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wasn't commenting on the quality of the kit; I was referring to the fact that the Freesat system offers so few programmes to watch. His Honour, in Karsales (Harrow) versus Wallis, declared that: "A car which will not go is not a car at all". Likewise, a satellite receiver which offers no programmes (or very few) is not really a receiver at all.

The Beeb has made a fundamental error with this, in my view. It should have facilitated the reception of programmes other than its own (and one or two ITV progs). The fact that it hasn't done so will severely reduce its attraction to many people.

81 channels on freesat currently, and an additional 200 odd channels on fta. They're crossing over onto freesat at about 20 a month.

That's not a car which will not go Sebrof, that's not very few. What is it you're missing?

Well, if that's true, they have caught up enormously in the last couple of months. In November, I read that they covered BBC, ITV sometime in the future, and very little else. I supppose it is possible that the BBC "forgot" to mention that there were other channels.

By the way, are these "channels" mainly shopping stuff, or do they offer proper programmes?

S

Well, if that's true, they have caught up enormously in the last couple of months. In November, I read that they covered BBC, ITV sometime in the future, and very little else. I supppose it is possible that the BBC "forgot" to mention that there were other channels.

By the way, are these "channels" mainly shopping stuff, or do they offer proper programmes?

I think you're getting confused between freesat and HD. There's never been that few channels on Freesat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_Freesat

I think you're getting confused between freesat and HD. There's never been that few channels on Freesat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_Freesat

Just looked at the list. As I suspected, the core is the normal BBC and ITV stuff, augmented by an awful lot of dross. However, I wasn't aware that you can add other programmes manually, so thank you for enlightening me.

S

As I suspected, the core is the normal BBC and ITV stuff

Well it would be.

When I said that there are not many programmes - I was meaning not so much that I personally want to watch. But still some good stuff. Enough.

Certainly there is something I want to watch nearly every week.

Just looked at the list. As I suspected, the core is the normal BBC and ITV stuff, augmented by an awful lot of dross. However, I wasn't aware that you can add other programmes manually, so thank you for enlightening me.

Difference being outlay of £300 for the box and get all the facilities of Sky+ plus most of channels including some you have to pay for on Sky including as yet limited but growing HD as opposed to forking out a monthly subscription and a bit more if you want Sky HD which is about as limited or if you want to go to terrestial upgrading your antenna and buying a box with recorder for less channels.

But each to his/her own

Difference being outlay of £300 for the box and get all the facilities of Sky+ plus most of channels including some you have to pay for on Sky including as yet limited but growing HD as opposed to forking out a monthly subscription and a bit more if you want Sky HD which is about as limited or if you want to go to terrestial upgrading your antenna and buying a box with recorder for less channels.

But each to his/her own

It does look better than it did when I last looked. Would I be right in saying that this is the only way you can get BBC/ITV HD programmes by satellite (without paying Sky)?

S

Would I be right in saying that this is the only way you can get BBC/ITV HD programmes by satellite (without paying Sky)?

no. you can buy a Sky box and use it without any card = no money to Sky

But no record facility without paying money to sky

Would I be right in saying that this is the only way you can get BBC/ITV HD programmes by satellite (without paying Sky)?

no. you can buy a Sky box and use it without any card = no money to Sky

But no record facility without paying money to sky

So you can get a Humax box without a record facility for £150, and with record for £300.

Is there any other way to record? Can you plug in your own external hard drive? Or even a VCR?

I'm not a complete cheapskate, but I watch telly so rarely that I am reluctant to spend much money on it.

S

your best bet if you are not in a hurry is to wait a year until the Freesat + (ie recording) boxes are cheaper. And the software glitches are sorted out.

I'm sure that's very sound advice, Pongo. Thinking about it, it's the quality of the programme that's important, not the quality of the picture.

But, I have terrible reception at the moment, and may need to get a new aerial or a new cable in order to receive digital TV after June. So some expenditure is probably inevitable.

S

dont pay £60 for a HDMI lead! They are all the same, it's a digital connection so a £2 is the same as a £60. It will either work or it won't.

Yeah right!, if you say so! If you've got a decent telly and a big screen there *is* a difference. OK, its not a huge difference as the law of diminishing returns kicks in but I think my £60 was well spent. If you don't agree, hey, fine . You aren't going to be watching it! You will not however see any difference on your 720p 32" screen though and I would keep your £2 lead... Next time you are across, wander into Dixons/Currys etc and look at their demo tvs connected to Foxsat and BluRay players. I think you will find they aren't using the £2 lead that came with the box. I wonder why....

When I tuned my Foxsat in last week there were 76 channels (plus any you care to manual tune if you want ). As Slim says, there's more this week it will give a rough idea of the number per week added. In addition, I've got another dish at 13°E connected to the Foxsat via a diseqc switch which gives another few hundred channels although they are mostly foreign. Er, how can I put this... sometimes you don't need to speak the language on some to appreciate the content. Due to the very narrow tuning parameters on the Sky system there is hardly any scope for adding channels. If you don't need that and are happy with extras of 'Owl and Prima Donna TV' Sky might be best for you. Each to their own etc etc.

Archived