The Big Freeview Con

tucker

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
However, as a by product, I think the picture is sharper, she thinks the picture is better and that's all that matters. If you think differently, hey so what, we're watching it and you aren't! Yes, its all 0s and 1s but life is rarely that simple unless you want it to be to obviate any need to think further.

PS No need to get cross, all the above is said with good humour, unlike one or two of your posts. However I would be interested in your opinion of the products on the Russ Andrews website, especially the units that are designed to filter out mains noise. (That's if you are still talking to me :) )

I'm more than happy to be disagreed with matey!

There are cases for needing a special cable, I think I said so above. If you need extra sheilding or you're running long cable lengths. Otherwise, I'd have simply moved that component to avoid the interference rather than shed out 60 for a chunky cable.

The picture quality thing, why not try a blind test, just for fun. Swap the cable a few times without the wife knowing which one you're using, and get her to say when the quality improved each time, and see if it's the posh cable that matches her opinion.

Russ Andrews website is full of the bullshit I mentioned above. Power conditioners, I think the description should make your mind up for you "simply improve the musicality of your Hi-Fi" and "it makes your system make more (much, more) sense of the music". If you fall for that, spend a grand, knock yourself out :)

I love that chunky ipod cable on the front page, what a scam!

I really didn't want to get into the "cable" toss-off, especially as one of the protagonists drops into pathetic name-calling whenever their points are being called

Ironic then that you enter the conversation and are the only one to do the name calling, don't you think?

So according to you labelling someone a "protagonist" is pathetic, playground name-calling?

No Mr Slim, it's not ironic, it's actually extremely funny! Many thanks for that! :)

I think the OFT and trading standards shoud be keeping a closer eye on this. In the same way they send cars to garages for a service, there should be mystery shoppers hitting all the TV retailers as it's far to easy for them to make a quick sale to those who aren't in the know.

I spoke to someone today who had just been sold a digital TV, because she went into a local store asking for advice on the switchover and they convinced her she needed a new set.

She lives on her own, has one TV, and has had a SKY box conected to it for years! It's not like they even went through the options availabe on the new digital set and discussed the option of ditching sky in the future. They just happily sold her a new TV, and convinced her to upgrade to Sky HD at the same time. She is in her late 70's and now has an HD picture on a 32" screen that she sits just over 18 feet away from.

She is convinced that if she hadn't bought the new set she wouldn't have been able to watch TV come June, and as just spent £600 on a TV she didn't need (The picture and sound to me are both worse than she had on what was a very good Sony Trinitron CRT set before)

Don't let yourself or any relatives or friends get conned into buying a new set unless you really wan to upgrade anyway. There are loads of cheap ways to convert your existing TV. The only possible exceptions being really old sets that may not even have a scart socket.

She is convinced that if she hadn't bought the new set she wouldn't have been able to watch TV come June, and as just spent £600 on a TV she didn't need (The picture and sound to me are both worse than she had on what was a very good Sony Trinitron CRT set before)

Seen this kind of crap first hand with a local shop, it sucks.

No Mr Slim, it's not ironic, it's actually extremely funny! Many thanks for that! :)

No you div, calling someone pathetic.

Well you "div" (whatever that means) I didn't call you pathetic per se, if you look back I posted "pathetic name-calling" because name-calling in an argument is basically pathetic irrespective of the author. Sorry and all that but unfortunately it's not just confined to your mediocre self. It would also appear that you are getting your adjectives, adverbs and nouns a little mixed up. How you must curse that incomplete education! Still, little wonder you feel so at home posting on here...

Incidentally, if you read the content of my post you will see I was actually agreeing with you. But clearly you have a different agenda...

Well you "div" (whatever that means) I didn't call you pathetic per se, if you look back I posted "pathetic name-calling" because name-calling in an argument is basically pathetic irrespective of the author. Sorry and all that but unfortunately it's not just confined to your mediocre self. It would also appear that you are getting your adjectives, adverbs and nouns a little mixed up. How you must curse that incomplete education! Still, little wonder you feel so at home posting on here...

Incidentally, if you read the content of my post you will see I was actually agreeing with you. But clearly you have a different agenda...

I wasn't commenting on you agreeing with me or not.

If you were talking about more than one person, why say 'one of the protagonists'? You were calling me a pathetic name caller, right? That's an insult, to insult someone for being insulting is irony in my book. Want me to draw you a picture?

I like the way you've continued to be insulting too, just to boost the hypocrisy.

Russ Andrews website is full of the bullshit I mentioned above. Power conditioners, I think the description should make your mind up for you "simply improve the musicality of your Hi-Fi" and "it makes your system make more (much, more) sense of the music". If you fall for that, spend a grand, knock yourself out :)

I love that chunky ipod cable on the front page, what a scam!

So you don't think that the quality of the electricity that you are feeding your system with is important? You don't think being on the same ring main as a washer or drier that causes electrical fluctuations and noise will make a difference? Or, perhaps that the RF emmitted from a CRT can cause problems?

I am not justifying spending £1k on a power conditioner, but electrical interference can and does have a dramatic affect on picture and sound quality. That is why many hi-fi and home cinema enthusiasts will have a dedicated spur for their systems. I don't, I use a power conditioner, partially to clean up the electric signal but mainly for protection against spikes and fluctuation killing components. It cost £80 and is one of the best investments in hifi/home cinema I have made.

So you don't think that the quality of the electricity that you are feeding your system with is important? You don't think being on the same ring main as a washer or drier that causes electrical fluctuations and noise will make a difference? Or, perhaps that the RF emmitted from a CRT can cause problems?

A dedicated spur would make no difference. If washing machines and other electrical equipment really had these discernible effects then your neighbors' electrical equipment would be as likely to be causing any problem. You can more or less prove this by using a via - mains intercom device. You will find that you can normally get good communications several properties apart.

Audiophiles are notoriously basically superstitious. My grandfather used to have an Avo meter plugged in the socket in his study to watch the power fluctuations from Ramsey power station.

My grandfather used to have an Avo meter plugged in the socket in his study to watch the power fluctuations from Ramsey power station.

i would rather watch one of them than cricket..

slim and pk are like compo and nora batty..

Manxman: bags I wear the stockings!

So you don't think that the quality of the electricity that you are feeding your system with is important? You don't think being on the same ring main as a washer or drier that causes electrical fluctuations and noise will make a difference? Or, perhaps that the RF

emmitted from a CRT can cause problems?

Depends what you're talking about when you say quality. I'm fine with spike/surge protectors, they're cheap and they protect your expensive gear from a problem that actually exists. I'm not fine with this concept of 'cleaning power to improve musicality'. It's audiophile bollocks. Do they have little buckets the dirty power goes into that you have to empty occasionally?

Archived