The Big Freeview Con

tucker

A dedicated spur would make no difference. If washing machines and other electrical equipment really had these discernible effects then your neighbors' electrical equipment would be as likely to be causing any problem. You can more or less prove this by using a via - mains intercom device. You will find that you can normally get good communications several properties apart.

Audiophiles are notoriously basically superstitious. My grandfather used to have an Avo meter plugged in the socket in his study to watch the power fluctuations from Ramsey power station.

A dedicated spur does make a difference compared to having items plugged into the same ring main / same breaker as a "loud" electrical item. Simple proof is to set a washing machine on spin and plug an AM radio into the same ring main. The interference from the washing machine is easily audible. Plug the radio into a different ring main and the washing machine is not easily audible, if at all. Simples!

I would not be without my mains conditioner now. Having had to pay a couple of hefty repair bills in the past due to power fluctuation, I am no longer willing to take the risk.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A dedicated spur would make no difference. If washing machines and other electrical equipment really had these discernible effects then your neighbors' electrical equipment would be as likely to be causing any problem. You can more or less prove this by using a via - mains intercom device. You will find that you can normally get good communications several properties apart.

Audiophiles are notoriously basically superstitious. My grandfather used to have an Avo meter plugged in the socket in his study to watch the power fluctuations from Ramsey power station.

A dedicated spur does make a difference compared to having items plugged into the same ring main / same breaker as a "loud" electrical item. Simple proof is to set a washing machine on spin and plug an AM radio into the same ring main. The interference from the washing machine is easily audible. Plug the radio into a different ring main and the washing machine is not easily audible, if at all. Simples!

I would not be without my mains conditioner now. Having had to pay a couple of hefty repair bills in the past due to power fluctuation, I am no longer willing to take the risk.

Mains protection is a different issue from what you have been debating.

A battery powered AM radio will hear the washing machine which is acting as a big old fashioned spark transmitter with the mains as an antenna.

Neither has anything to do with picture quality etc

Mains protection is a different issue from what you have been debating.

A battery powered AM radio will hear the washing machine which is acting as a big old fashioned spark transmitter with the mains as an antenna.

Neither has anything to do with picture quality etc

A battery power AM radio is not earthed and yes you will be able to hear the washing machine. An earthed A/C powered AM radio should virtually eliminate it but it does not on the same ring main.

As I said in my original post I do NOT use a dedicated spur. I do use a power conditioner, the benefits of which are more than just a smoothed power supply.

A battery power AM radio is not earthed and yes you will be able to hear the washing machine. An earthed A/C powered AM radio should virtually eliminate it but it does not on the same ring main.

Nuts - if the interference is EM radiation (as from a spark transmitter - the same mechanism that Marconi used!) it will be received on any nearby radio - it may well be that the mains power radio has better filtering and thus reduces the audible interence - if the intereference is mains born (eg from faulty fluorescent lamps) then though the mains wiring will act as a transmitter (possibly poor if the cable runs are together and live+neutral flows cancel)the mains radio if it has poor supply rejection will sound worse.

If you were talking about more than one person, why say 'one of the protagonists'? You were calling me a pathetic name caller, right? That's an insult, to insult someone for being insulting is irony in my book. Want me to draw you a picture?

I like the way you've continued to be insulting too, just to boost the hypocrisy.

So sorry Mr Slim but I think you'll find it could only be insulting to someone who doesn't resort to pathetic, playground name-calling. Not a category you fall into. And you trying to push back on it, well, that really is hypocrisy. I think you'll find that the cap not only fits but it was most definitely made for you.

slim and pk are like compo and nora batty..

Such a shame about the recent loss of Kathy Staff. She looked the sort that would go on forever!

A modern washing machine needs a pure sine wave! Any current emits a signal but even the slightest shielding will deal with it. The killer is always contact resistance. Every time you switch off or take a plug out you create a spike. If it comes from downstream it's liable to be damaging. But none of that makes any difference to gold vs steel/copper cabling!

So sorry Mr Slim but I think you'll find it could only be insulting to someone who doesn't resort to pathetic, playground name-calling. Not a category you fall into. And you trying to push back on it, well, that really is hypocrisy. I think you'll find that the cap not only fits but it was most definitely made for you.

Hehe.

Bit late for the back peddle PK, the damage is done, the only person being insulting in this thread is you despite entering the thread with "I'm really above this kind of thing but I'll join in anyway".

I can tell you're fully rattled because you've resorted to 'Mr Slim'. Nice to get the respect I deserve!

Archived