Ryanair Carry-on Duty Free Charges

manshimajin

Ryanair restrictions on carry-on luggage  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My brother just mentioned this to me and I have found a reference to it on the web (apologies for the Terrorgraph site):

Extra Charges

I must admit that I sometimes get a bit fed up when people are told they can only bring on one bag to find when I get on the plane that a lot of the passengers are also bringing on 2 or 3 shopping bags full of items bought at the airport. Trust Michaell O'Leary to spot the way of making some money from this.

What do other forum members think?

My brother just mentioned this to me and I have found a reference to it on the web (apologies for the Terrorgraph site):

Extra Charges

I must admit that I sometimes get a bit fed up when people are told they can only bring on one bag to find when I get on the plane that a lot of the passengers are also bringing on 2 or 3 shopping bags full of items bought at the airport. Trust Michaell O'Leary to spot the way of making some money from this.

I already adopt a no-Ryanair policy when flying, and I suspect that this little measure will persuade others to follow suit. There's only so much gouging a traveller can take.

S

Extra Charges

It's swings and roundabouts-airports will make less profit if they sell less duty free.

I must say I object to paying Flybe for luggage to be put in the hold of aircraft.

And to being charged to use Visa card.

By the time taxes and charges are added getting off the island becomes expensive.

but it is al down to time cost and economics

CC charges those that cost more are those which charge the retailer more, however some airlines do take the mick

Hold baggabe the airlines are cahrged for this by the airport handlers, it takes longer to load and unload and that affects turn round time and rental of the air bridge or the spot a million miles awy and the bus. The ideal customer has no baggage from point of view of airlines.\ I try to have a bag which can take a minimum of a weeks worth of simle clothes in cabin. I see nothing wrong with being made to pay for bags and outsize, and if you plan ahaed and do online its cheaper than excess at airport

carry on. I think it shouold be a bag and one hand bag, computer case or shopping bag, te one bag rerstriction through security is government sponsored not an airline thing, again more bags makes `loading and unloading slower and if you buy duty fre in the airport then you will not buy on the plane. I agree with Ryanair

The fact is to offer flights at £1 plus taxes they have to sell other products, ie pay to board first, pay for hold bags, pay for carry on, offer insurance sell rafle tickets. foood and refreshments, insurance etc. My prediction is that they will also start offering pree booking of seats, at a cost, also a sort of businessseat, wider, longer pitch and more benefits for their "clubs" whereby you will pay £100 0r £250 or £500 per yera and get lots for frree when booking

Scum-Air. £1 for a ticket plus taxes (if you book 48 weeks in advance – try travelling short notice and see what they charge) and then they pull your pants down for everything – 15kgs hold luggage, speedy boarding, emergency exit seat, tea, coffee, bun, scratch card, on board bingo. It's a cattle market.

Certainly my airline of choice – not.

But then they are not alone are they?

Mind you in fairness to Fly-may-Be, I was caught in the delays caused by the weather last week and missed my onward flight (also a Maybe flight) and they rebooked me with another airline on a later flight at no cost. So top show!

I do not understand why people buy stuff at airports. Apart from stuff which you might want immediately - something to eat or a drink, a book. The hassle and inconvenience of carrying stuff far outweighs any saving.

Good luck to Ryanair if they can keep costs down by charging a basic price for the minimum service and then making it up on everything else extra.

Ryanair are consistently the cheapest provider when I look for flights from Birmingham to Dublin. The flight's less than an hour so I can put up with the lurid yellow banners without getting too much eye ache. The inevitably hairy landings just add to the fun. I'm mostly only over for one night or two so don't need anything other than one bag, fortunately. It'd be easy to get pissed off with the extras they take in terms of eg credit card charges, but their cheapness means I can get to Dublin more often than I would be able to otherwise, so overall they get a thumbs up from me.

I must admit I don't like the multiple credit card charges on Ryanair and most other carriers. But I am flying Cork - London Stanstead return with Ryanair including taxes and charges and credit card fees for a total of €12. I wish I could fly from Bee Gees International to London for that price return.

The thing with Ryanair et al is, if you can, put on as many clothes as possible and only take a cabin bag. Make your sandwich before you go (it'll be healthier) and if you want water take an empty bottle airside and top it up at the tap (why pay whiskey prices for a bottle of H2O?

I have used Ryanair about 20 times in the last few years to a variety of destinations and from many different departure points. They have never let me down. However I know that if I am delayed, the flight is canceled or the flight is postponed then I am on my own. Don't expect compensation, food vouchers and accommodation for the night. But these kind of delays never happen with RA because if it did it would fuck up their whole day's timetable because of their tight scheduling.

Anyone traveling for a weeks holiday can easily not take hold baggage. It's easy (and cheap unless you live in IOM) to buy a nice 55cm long cabin bag which will fit everything you need inside. Only girls and Italians need to take more baggage with them.

It's great that they charge extra for everything because then it's the stupid people who pay extra - why would anyone want a drink during a 1 hour flight when they know a) it'll taste crap and b) it'll be a rip-off? Do people really want to pay extra for priority boarding (priority onto the bus not the plane)? Not me but some people do and that's great because it subsidises my fare! Ryanair charging for reserved seats would be a good idea as this would be very useful for some people - i.e. groups travelling together or weirdos who insist on sitting at the front incase the back end of the aircraft falls off.

As for travel to the Isle of Man. It's a rip off and has been for a long time. Everyone knows this including the government but they couldn't give a toss because they are more interested in businessmen traveling in who don't care about the price of the flight (and put it straight onto the company account). Maybe the recession will make the govt care.

Go Ryanair. Next step RA trips to the USA (start at the end of 2009) and RyanAir trips to Space - pay extra for gravity and a porthole with a view of the Earth.

If you get on the plane with one bag, and then buy duty free on board, do they then charge you for the second bag?

Also, when you have the second duty free bag bought on board, what happens if you have a further destination. Do you then have to pay for having two bags etc?

what happens if you have a further destination. Do you then have to pay for having two bags etc?

Ha - it's funnier than that. If you are changing terminals and have to pass through security again then you may have to leave your 'duty free' and any freebies with the security people under the no liquids rule. Depending on the airport, the rules which they decide to apply that day etc.

Archived