[BBC News] Offender tagging to be extended

Newsbot

I want no prison and no tagging for bail and probation. Though a vast improvement would be simply tagging those who have offended and not to put them in prison. Which is what you seem to be under the impression is happening.

Have you ever been a victim of crime ldv?

Of course he has. Government is a crime, law is a crime, work is a crime. He's a victim of all these things. Though probably not much when it comes to work.

S

I want no prison and no tagging for bail and probation. Though a vast improvement would be simply tagging those who have offended and not to put them in prison. Which is what you seem to be under the impression is happening.

Have you ever been a victim of crime ldv?

Of course he has. Government is a crime, law is a crime, work is a crime. He's a victim of all these things. Though probably not much when it comes to work.

S

You don't know what you are talking about

And yes, I have been a victim of a crime. It wasn't a serious crime, however.

Plans are made to extend the use of electronic tags on offenders in the Isle of Man.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7874762.stm

The DHA are proposing to tag people on bail - people who have not been convicted of an offence and may ultimately be found to be innocent. This is a breach of civil liberties and could be subject to great abuse by the police. People are frequently charged with offences that are later dropped after months or even years of stress to the individual concerned. The police have enough powers already. This should not be allowed to happen.

Plans are made to extend the use of electronic tags on offenders in the Isle of Man.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7874762.stm

The DHA are proposing to tag people on bail - people who have not been convicted of an offence and may ultimately be found to be innocent. This is a breach of civil liberties and could be subject to great abuse by the police. People are frequently charged with offences that are later dropped after months or even years of stress to the individual concerned. The police have enough powers already. This should not be allowed to happen.

Has the UK adopted this measure? Or is this another example of how less liberal the Island is?

This isn't a replacement of custodial sentencing, but rather an dimunition of freedoms for those on bail and on probation

If judges have an option to use these instead of jail time when sentencing then they are a replacement for custodial sentencing.

The same same can be said for parole boards.

and if a judge uses one instead of jail time or a parole board uses one instead of denying parole then it can not even be considered as a dimunition of freedom. i know which one i would prefer.

If judges have an option to use these instead of jail time when sentencing then they are a replacement for custodial sentencing.

Yes they would be, but that doesn't appear to be what is happening here in respect of bail

and if a judge uses one instead of jail time or a parole board uses one instead of denying parole then it can not even be considered as a dimunition of freedom. i know which one i would prefer.

You are right. But the article simply states that those on probation will have one. It hasn't stated there would be shift in using tagging to increase the likelihood of allowing parole. Remains to be seen. But as it hasn't been spelled out I think it unlikely.

In any case, Sunset has made the most pertinent point about why it is wrong.

Archived