[BBC News] First Manx plate fetches £100,000

Newsbot

I like this quote:

But a buyer, who wishes to remain anonymous, smashed the estimate during the island auction on Friday.

So they are not going to put it on their car otherwise people will recognise a fool who has been easily parted from his/her money.

What can you do with a £100,000 number plate if you don't put it on your car? Suggestions in writing please to:

Anonymous Number Plate owner

c/o ManxForums

IOM

A reward will not be given for the best suggestion.

Cool, if people are stupid enough to waste their money

I hope the government now decide to sell off the ones they've got for the govenor, could raise some much needed cash for charity ??

As I understand you can't sell the number, just the car that is registered to that number, who paid £100k for what car?

I think you're wrong. You can hold a plate on retention without it actually being tied to and particular vehicle and you can sell that retention certificate on to another party

http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/post/cherishedn...information.pdf

I saw a number plate the other day that was:-

I10VFU

spaced to look like I 10VF U

It reminded me for some reason of the Eddie Izzard wheel of cool. You start off conventional, move round the wheel and get cooler and then go just that bit too far around the wheel to the point where you're 'looking like a dickhead'.

This was definitely dickhead teritory even though they'd tried to fake a lower line for the F/E by using one of the number plate screws. I wonder how much it would have cost them to replace the F with an E?

I saw a number plate the other day that was:-

I10VFU

spaced to look like I 10VF U

It reminded me for some reason of the Eddie Izzard wheel of cool. You start off conventional, move round the wheel and get cooler and then go just that bit too far around the wheel to the point where you're 'looking like a dickhead'.

This was definitely dickhead teritory even though they'd tried to fake a lower line for the F/E by using one of the number plate screws. I wonder how much it would have cost them to replace the F with an E?

There is a guy in Ramsey who has fucked around with the letters and numbers on his car to make it look like 'fireman' I thought what a cock! then i seen who was driving it and my thoughts were confirmed.

That is all!

Until of course you see that plate slammed on the front of some vulgar footballer-style car.

Given the discreet and anonymous nature of the purchaser my guess is that it will either be screwed to the wall in the en-suite or used as a subtle plate on which to serve macrobiotic nibbles at ticket only dinner parties.

Archived