National Dishes Which Aren't

John Wright

Kippers - brought to the IOM from Germany via Scandinavia

do you have a reference for this ? - the manx in 18th C and earlier preserved herring by salting in barrels (the white herring) though air dried red-herrings were produced. The smoke cured Manx Kipper came later in 19th century and is generally credited to English development. (The roll-mops preserved using vinegar are widespread from the Baltic herring)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
'Manx' phrases which aren't Manx:

'fella'

"Heyy boyy"

Oh, and 'yessir'. I have a book from the 1800s about Ireland and the Irish, the word 'yessir' is used as an example of Irish colloquialism.

As for chips, cheese and gravy being national food? I would say we would have better claim to 'fish and chips'.

You'll probably find about 80% of Manx in Irish language dictionaries. 'Fella' and "Heyy Boyy" are Anglicized Manx Gaelic. I don't agree with the chips, cheese and gravy thing either - I've never had it. Fish and chips could make a good claim, but a bit sad since we don't land our own cod or haddock anymore. I'd go for kippers, queenies, Manx lamb, and, in recent years, Manx beef, as quality products worthy of being the national dish.

You would have been lucky to sample quality Manx beef in the Isle of Man. All of the best stuff has been exported for years. We only get let with the crap frankly. That's why tons of the stuff has been imported from Ireland for the last 20 years. Better quality than local, and cheaper even when import costs included.

'Manx' phrases which aren't Manx:

'fella'

"Heyy boyy"

Oh, and 'yessir'. I have a book from the 1800s about Ireland and the Irish, the word 'yessir' is used as an example of Irish colloquialism.

As for chips, cheese and gravy being national food? I would say we would have better claim to 'fish and chips'.

You'll probably find about 80% of Manx in Irish language dictionaries. 'Fella' and "Heyy Boyy" are Anglicized Manx Gaelic. I don't agree with the chips, cheese and gravy thing either - I've never had it. Fish and chips could make a good claim, but a bit sad since we don't land our own cod or haddock anymore. I'd go for kippers, queenies, Manx lamb, and, in recent years, Manx beef, as quality products worthy of being the national dish.

I think Queenies have the best claim. They're not exactly common elsewhere in the British Isles, whereas kippers, lamb, and beef are ubiquitous.

They're also delicious. Chips, cheese, and gravy sounds very nasty.

S

Total crap. Irish beef was imported 20 years ago when Manx beef was awful. That hasn't been the case for quite a while now. Manx beef is now seriously good. Though probably not that good in the supermarkets.

Quite agree. Had some superb local beef recently. Irish beef is so full of steroids and overdoses of anti-biotics that it's a danger to health.

S

I have a cracking recipe for Beef Oxford, very English sounding recipe. I had something very similar in Ypres but can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It went very well with a big bowl of chips. It involves green peppars, apricot jam and lots of ginger. If anyone could help me with the Flemish name of this dish I'll then post something relevant.

Maybe?

You would have been lucky to sample quality Manx beef in the Isle of Man. All of the best stuff has been exported for years. We only get let with the crap frankly. That's why tons of the stuff has been imported from Ireland for the last 20 years. Better quality than local, and cheaper even when import costs included.

Manx beef is very good quality. When we visited before finally returning, we would always take back a few joints because it was so very tasty. Admittedly, that was at the time that the only beef you could buy in the UK was either embryonic or juvenile because of the CJD fiasco, but Manx meat, on the taste scale, is far superior to UK equivalents.

If the best is being exported, then we must have a very high quality because the shoite is excellent.

. . . . .

You'll probably find about 80% of Manx in Irish language dictionaries. 'Fella' and "Heyy Boyy" are Anglicized Manx Gaelic.

I can't agree. 'Fella' as used in its present context seems to be quite recent (such as 'the young fella' or 'the quair fella' maybe, but for example 'alright fella' seems to be a scouserism).

You'll be telling me that Andreas should be pronounce And-rus next.

And spaghetti. Brought to Italy from China by Marco Polo.

S

Pure myth.

The first certain record of noodles cooked by boiling is in the Jerusalem Talmud, written in Aramaic in the 5th century AD. The word used for the noodles was itriyah. In Arabic references this word stands for the dried noodles purchased from a vendor, rather than homemade noodles which would have been fresh. Dried noodles are portable, while fresh must be eaten immediately. More than likely, pasta was introduced during the Arab conquests of Sicily, carried in as a dry staple. The Arab geographer, Al Idrisi wrote that a flour-based product in the shape of strings was produced in Palermo, then an Arab colony.

Just returning from a tour of SE Asia where dog is a popular if not national dish

The lurcher types were a bit chewy (when you could catch one ) but the small furry cuddly ones just melted in the mouth

Could someone please post a link to this on the "why I hate militant dog owner" thread

I can't agree. 'Fella' as used in its present context seems to be quite recent (such as 'the young fella' or 'the quair fella' maybe, but for example 'alright fella' seems to be a scouserism).

T.E.Brown recent ?

Ugly he was, most desperate,

For all the world like a suckin’ skate.

But the eyes ! the eyes ! Why—blow the fella!

He could spread them out like a rumberella

I hiked up Whistlers Mountain in Canada a few years ago there was a resurant near the top that had someting called pooteen on the menu when asked what it was they said chips cheese and gravy I near wet myself with laughter. It was also on the menu of the Fairmount at Lake Louise

Quite agree. Had some superb local beef recently. Irish beef is so full of steroids and overdoses of anti-biotics that it's a danger to health.

The answer to all this is 'know your butcher'. Anything bought in a supermarket is likely to have very high moisture content as it has not been hung properly.

I go to two butchers when I am in Ireland, one, O'Flynns, in Cork City and the other Tony Healey's in Nenagh. Tony has his own cattle - none of this Aberdeen Angus rubbish that is just not suited to Ireland, but Herefords who manage the damp weather much better. He says he feeds them on the miracle food - grass.

Both butchers hang their meat properly and it is delicious.

Whatever it was they fed UK cattle with to generate BSE does not bear thinking about!

Stick to a butcher you know and who knows the farmer, or is the farmer. Avoid supermarket meat.

lancashire hot pot, irish stew and scouse are all variations ofa a stew produced by the norse invaders, including derivation of the word scouse

Scouse is still available in Norway. There's a bar in Bergen that produces a very fine version of it.

Archived