National Dishes Which Aren't

John Wright

And every plate went back to my kitchen cleaned. (Licked probably, while I wasn't looking, lol,lol....... ; ))

Perhaps cooking enough food and not leaving your dining guests so hungry that they have to lick their plates might be a good idea for next time, eh?

What? And have to do the washing up?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a coincidence John I was also in Bansko this week, I returned to the Island last night after a week of skiing.

In one taverna there was a speciality dish called 'Bear Chomlek' which I planned to order, but upon enquiring it turned out to be roasted veal leg.

In another taverna 'Wolf bits' was the name for a pork dish with mushrooms.

I didn't see chips, cheese and gravy however!

Kedgeree - brought to the breakfast sideboards of English estates by Colonel Bloodnock Indian Army ret'd

Which initially came to India from Scotland.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kedgeree

Hmm.

"The National Trust for Scotland's book The Scottish Kitchen by Christopher Trotter has traced the origins for the kedgeree recipe to books by the Malcolms dating back to the year 1790."

1790 is not very long ago, and people who had served in India could well have taken the dish to Scotland before then. After all, the East India Co was going strong in 1757.

How many other old Scottish recipes include rice? Not a lot, I'd wager.

I think this suggestion is most implausible.

S

Kedgeree - brought to the breakfast sideboards of English estates by Colonel Bloodnock Indian Army ret'd

Which initially came to India from Scotland.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kedgeree

Hmm.

"The National Trust for Scotland's book The Scottish Kitchen by Christopher Trotter has traced the origins for the kedgeree recipe to books by the Malcolms dating back to the year 1790."

1790 is not very long ago, and people who had served in India could well have taken the dish to Scotland before then. After all, the East India Co was going strong in 1757.

S

However what you fail to percieve is substitute oatmeal for rice and the dish's Scottish origins are entirely plausible.....

Remember you can adapt dishes for countries. Take for example curry and chips. Hardly a traditional Indian Delicacy is it???

Hmm.

S

However what you fail to percieve is substitute oatmeal for rice and the dish's Scottish origins are entirely plausible.....

Remember you can adapt dishes for countries. Take for example curry and chips. Hardly a traditional Indian Delicacy is it???

Oatmeal is not a substitute for rice. Oats might be. If the dish quoted contained oats instead of rice I might be inclined to believe it, but I saw no mention of oats in the article you linked to.

Curry and chips is an abomination.

S

Hmm.

S

Oatmeal is not a substitute for rice. Oats might be. If the dish quoted contained oats instead of rice I might be inclined to believe it, but I saw no mention of oats in the article you linked to.

S

Are you totally incapable of reading between the lines?? Do you have to have everything on paper or are you able to work anything out for yourself???

Hmm.

S

S

Are you totally incapable of reading between the lines?? Do you have to have everything on paper or are you able to work anything out for yourself???

I haven't got the faintest idea what you are talking about, so at least we have one thing in common.

The idea that the Scots were eating rice in the 18th C is laughable. The idea that fish cooked in oatmeal is a form of kedgeree (your suggestion) is even more laughable.

But perhaps you don't know the difference between oats and oatmeal.

S

Hmm.

S

S

I haven't got the faintest idea what you are talking about, so at least we have one thing in common.

The idea that the Scots were eating rice in the 18th C is laughable. The idea that fish cooked in oatmeal is a form of kedgeree (your suggestion) is even more laughable.

But perhaps you don't know the difference between oats and oatmeal.

S

Is there any record of Indian fishing boats catching Haddock in the North Sea in the early 1700’s.

I still eat Herrings coated in oatmeal and pan fried,

Ok it’s not fish in porridge but is fish cooked in oatmeal, fresh Herring would not travel well, Smoked fish would.

Archived