Vehicle Plate Recognition

Albert Tatlock

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i think we should have it, i have to tax and insure my vehicles so why should'nt other people

Wouldn't it be a good idea to assess the scale of the problem first, and then find out how much this system would cost?

Or do you want to spend a million quid, and then find you catch three people?

S

Perhaps the worldly-wise Mr Watterson would care to emigrate to the UK and sample 1984 life under the gaze of speed cameras, CCTV cameras and 'recognition' cameras of every description. Of course, road tax and insurance should be paid but the cost effectiveness of installing and running a system here (given the complete and utter cock-ups of government projects to date) is questionable. Perhaps a reduction in the car tax rates might just entice some to cough up. Per mile of road we must be paying some of the highest road tax in the world for the privilege of driving over some of the worst conditioned roads in the (developed) world.

STUPID BOY!

The Isle of Man is a nice laid back place to live and that's what we want. Why does he think we would all be better off with this kind of Big Brother gimmick? He should go and live in the UK for a few months and see what that kind of intrusive society is like. Frankly I would put up with a few licence dodgers and keep our rural pleasantry. If my memory serves me correctly this idea has already been dismissed.

One of the reasons stated for introducing them was to check that UK cars are taxed etc when they get off the boat. Currently when you get on the boat they write down your reg number (not sure why?). Surely if this information was put into some sort of hand held computer, then all plates could be checked whilst the boat was sailing, and any suspicious cars could then be spoken to as they get off. Would this not be much simpler and cheaper and help to solve the problem. (If indeed it exists)

One of the reasons stated for introducing them was to check that UK cars are taxed etc when they get off the boat. Currently when you get on the boat they write down your reg number (not sure why?). Surely if this information was put into some sort of hand held computer, then all plates could be checked whilst the boat was sailing, and any suspicious cars could then be spoken to as they get off. Would this not be much simpler and cheaper and help to solve the problem. (If indeed it exists)

Yes, but where are the kickbacks in that?

S

Wouldn't it be a good idea to assess the scale of the problem first, and then find out how much this system would cost?

Which is what Watterson says in the article.

I'm not really sure what the objection is, other than cost, I see a lot of bluster and talk about Big Brother, perhaps the opponents would try to explain it in a more rational manner?

With my Irish car I have to show 3 discs on the windscreen - tax, NCT (MOT) and Insurance. The Gardai occasionally set up a check-point (I usually get stopped at one about 3 or 4 times a year).

Simple. Low cost. Low technology. Bloody effective. Mostly done on sunny days!

PS: If UK cars are really an issue - just make them produce their insurance before boarding the ferry - be more effective than those security checks.

Why spend thousands of pounds on technology if there is a simple solution - oh I think I know the answer to that....

Apart from the above, which is a very good point:-

"It's used extensively in the UK - most traffic vehicles in the UK have ANPR systems fitted in - so it's not new, pioneering technology"

If it is so good how are these vehicles managing to get on the boat in the first place:

"it might be worth the capital investment, . . .. for vehicles coming off the boat"

Although I am sure Mr Watterson's heart is in the right place he comes over as very inexperienced in life.

I think he would look far more at home in the House of Keys if he wore shorts like they do at junior school rather than his rather dapper pin-striper. And wearing his Tynwald pass card on a big masonic-like bright orange sash is a little frightening. So is the fact that the young lad is very much a lodge man.

The more things like this we just copy from over the water makes us lose the difference that makes the island so special.

Traffic wardens keep an eye on the vehicle tax problems and report if out of date etc.

I'm not really sure what the objection is, other than cost, I see a lot of bluster and talk about Big Brother, perhaps the opponents would try to explain it in a more rational manner?

Intrusion of privacy - you can not simply scan, and effectively suspect, every single motorist to have done something wrong. It's Big Brother police state in it's purest form.

They tried introducing ANPR in Germany a while ago:

German Concourt against vehicle checks

Berlin - Germany's Constitutional Court ruled on Tuesday against indiscriminate checks on vehicle number plates used by police in eight of Germany's 16 states to counter vehicle theft and other crime.

The ruling by the highest court applied to the states of Hesse and Schleswig-Holstein, where three motorists had brought a test case.

Their lawyer argued the automatic electronic checking of number plates was tantamount to "complete surveillance" of a large and arbitrary section of the general population.

Nothing wrong with catching people without insurance, but there must be limits to what the police can and should be allowed to do.

National Vehicle Tracking Database

From March 2006, Britain will be the first country in the world to monitor and record the movements of every vehicle on the road.

One of the reasons they want it besides the obvious tax and insurance checking, is that nubers can be logged coming off the boat and auto flagged if they dont go back withing a time period, i.e. not registering a car here withing the legal time limit thus avoiding paying revenue, also it can do the same in reverse i.e. spot manx cars going across and not returning thus stopping people from across buying cars here to use in the uk as if a Manx reg car has a full legal plate i.e. with dashes in reg a lot of cameras including specs ignore them, also a lot of councils dont chase parking tickets for Manx cars, thus eliminating us getting a bad name and being pulled by UK police because of a few tossers, in addition cars coming over frequently can be logged and checked against owners to check if they may be used for crime like drug smuggling.

One of the reasons they want it besides the obvious tax and insurance checking, is that nubers can be logged coming off the boat and auto flagged if they dont go back withing a time period, i.e. not registering a car here withing the legal time limit thus avoiding paying revenue, also it can do the same in reverse i.e. spot manx cars going across and not returning thus stopping people from across buying cars here to use in the uk as if a Manx reg car has a full legal plate i.e. with dashes in reg a lot of cameras including specs ignore them, also a lot of councils dont chase parking tickets for Manx cars, thus eliminating us getting a bad name and being pulled by UK police because of a few tossers, in addition cars coming over frequently can be logged and checked against owners to check if they may be used for crime like drug smuggling.

What's stopping them doing that now? You don't need cameras, just a list of the numbers, SPC keep a list, pass it to the cops, who put them in a simple database.

Archived