Vehicle Plate Recognition

Albert Tatlock

Credit cards record your spending habits

Customer loyalty cards record what you buy when you buy it

CCTV captures your every move down the shopping street and through the shop

Traffic cameras monitor your speed

ANPR check your details and have the ability to link in to all other local systems in the UK can check if you have outstanding fines. council tax debts, parking tickets etc.

And all of this done without your specific consent.

The law says innocent until proven guilty. New technology now assuming that we are all guilty until proven innocent.

What is wrong with having the tax disc as part of the number plate (like in Germany), displaying your insurance certificate in the windscreen (like in France) and at all time having to carry your driving licence?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There appears to be a conspiracy around every corner according to you lot......

Having read posts about other things I've noticed that you're just as quick to moan that the Gov aren't doing their bit to stop you losing out when uninsured cars crash into yours etc!! Even worse if they drive into a person and seriously injure them with no insurance surely?

In the UK untaxed and uninsured cars are scrapped - would that be a bad idea too? Just throwing it out there..........!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I love it, if I make it from Liverpool to London without getting busted I feel really saintly.

Seriously folks, apart from having a 'bad hair day' or forgetting to do your flies up what is so bad about it?

Means they can see who is following me and who is likely to crash into me. Sometimes it is nice to feel someone else is there.

Having read posts about other things I've noticed that you're just as quick to moan that the Gov aren't doing their bit to stop you losing out when uninsured cars crash into yours etc!! Even worse if they drive into a person and seriously injure them with no insurance surely?

In the UK untaxed and uninsured cars are scrapped - would that be a bad idea too? Just throwing it out there..........!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Can't see the problem with ANPR myself, unless you have an untaxed and uninsured car. On the motorway here in the UK I pass an ANPR van every day, yet I don't feel threatened as my car is taxed and insured.... and I would be annoyed if an uninsured driver drove into me. And since ANPR was introduced I can't say I've noticed a fleet of police cars following me home every night.

Apart from that my car, and I'm sure everyone elses has a very visible number plate on each end of the car. What's the difference if that plate is noted down on the street by anyone with a grievance with my driving, or by the cops by not having the right documents for your car?

If your car is legal, surely there is nothing to fear?

I.e. ANPR was used to spy on his movements across town.

I've heard today (from a reliable source*) that they even have sensors in the road the can measure the axle and total weight of a lorry as it passes over them at 56 mph. This is checked at an instant using ANPR with the vehicles max weight at the DVLA. If over the max, it's pulled in for a proper weight check by VOSA personnel down the road where they have those accurate weigh pads you drive on.

*bother in law, a VOSA inspector.

What's next?

Whats this significance of 56mph? It only records at 56mph? What happens at 57mph?

[Whats this significance of 56mph? It only records at 56mph? What happens at 57mph?

In the UK since 1 January 1994, most lorries, (and since 1 January 1996 this applies to nearly all lorries) have had their top speed automatically restricted to 56 mph.

You seem to be missing some of the points made here by a country mile :rolleyes:

Why go for the most expensive way of dealing with the problem when there are numerous cheaper alternatives?

You seem to be missing some of the points made here by a country mile :rolleyes:

Why go for the most expensive way of dealing with the problem when there are numerous cheaper alternatives?

because the cheaper alternatives could be photocopied and at a glance look legit. and it would require a person to bother going up close and looking at every vehicle, look how many cars you see with bald tyres parked around? if authorities saw them they'd do something ( you'd hope? ) ANPR for checking tax and insurance is a bit like using a swipe card to enter a building. no card no entry. no tax and insurance. no road use. simple. and all checked up on automatically allowing plod to do other stuff. it would be a help if they also checked car lights at night with a similar system. and perhaps even a few cameras around checking on twats on mobiles while driving. some berk pulled out of christian road on me last week while on his phone in one hand and holding the wheel AND a sandwich in the other!! wanker.

because the cheaper alternatives could be photocopied and at a glance look legit. and it would require a person to bother going up close and looking at every vehicle, look how many cars you see with bald tyres parked around? if authorities saw them they'd do something ( you'd hope? ) ANPR for checking tax and insurance is a bit like using a swipe card to enter a building. no card no entry. no tax and insurance. no road use. simple. and all checked up on automatically allowing plod to do other stuff. it would be a help if they also checked car lights at night with a similar system. and perhaps even a few cameras around checking on twats on mobiles while driving. some berk pulled out of christian road on me last week while on his phone in one hand and holding the wheel AND a sandwich in the other!! wanker.

What you are saying then is that rather than getting Constable Plod doing his job outside his car we have to pay for a hi-tech solution. Given the small number of people who would dodge either the Irish or the European solutions I'd personally rather see the Police get out of their cars and walk around. Also traffic wardens can be used to do the same thing with the number plate sticker or insurance doc in window solutions. I would guess that walking around a few car parks every day would do more good than a patrol car fitted with ANPR. It would also be good for Constable Plod's health and 'community policing'. Being a GOM I prefer low cost, low tech and effective solutions that the taxpayer doesn't have to fork out too much for. If they don't work go onto hi-tech. But in Ireland the system has been shown to work very well.

As for people on mobiles eating sandwiches I reckon it would do society a service if we reported them. I really don't care if they get the Darwin Award killing themselves; but I object strongly to them killing me or those I love.

What you are saying then is that rather than getting Constable Plod doing his job outside his car we have to pay for a hi-tech solution. Given the small number of people who would dodge either the Irish or the European solutions I'd personally rather see the Police get out of their cars and walk around. Also traffic wardens can be used to do the same thing with the number plate sticker or insurance doc in window solutions. I would guess that walking around a few car parks every day would do more good than a patrol car fitted with ANPR. It would also be good for Constable Plod's health and 'community policing'. Being a GOM I prefer low cost, low tech and effective solutions that the taxpayer doesn't have to fork out too much for. If they don't work go onto hi-tech. But in Ireland the system has been shown to work very well.

As for people on mobiles eating sandwiches I reckon it would do society a service if we reported them. I really don't care if they get the Darwin Award killing themselves; but I object strongly to them killing me or those I love.

it would me much quicker for plod to check every car going through QB with an ANPR setup than expect a whole host of folks to wander round streets and carparks. the camera could also take a snapshot of the driver and then armed with a list of tossers plod can catch up with them as and when in the next few days. you haven't got to stop folks there and then though thats we we see on TV so they can dish out fixed penalties and seize vehicles there and then. it is better than giving some tosser the chance to say it wasn't them blah blah bullshit and getting a crooked lawyer on the case.. plus if you knew that the cameras could be anywhere you probably wouldn't risk it. but if you only ever go from home garage to work private covered carpark and the petrol garage every 2 weeks to fill up,the chances of plod seeing your car with an opportunity to scan the windscreen properly are quite slim. fixed cameras at the docks, mobile ones in traffic cars, job done, wankers off the road. the point is not to let plod sit on his arse, it is to free up his time for other things like thefts etc.

it would me much quicker for plod to check every car going through QB with an ANPR setup than expect a whole host of folks to wander round streets and carparks. the camera could also take a snapshot of the driver and then armed with a list of tossers plod can catch up with them as and when in the next few days. you haven't got to stop folks there and then though thats we we see on TV so they can dish out fixed penalties and seize vehicles there and then. it is better than giving some tosser the chance to say it wasn't them blah blah bullshit and getting a crooked lawyer on the case.. plus if you knew that the cameras could be anywhere you probably wouldn't risk it. but if you only ever go from home garage to work private covered carpark and the petrol garage every 2 weeks to fill up,the chances of plod seeing your car with an opportunity to scan the windscreen properly are quite slim. fixed cameras at the docks, mobile ones in traffic cars, job done, wankers off the road. the point is not to let plod sit on his arse, it is to free up his time for other things like thefts etc.

As above!!!! Its been said hundreds of times but if you've got nothing to hide you've surely got nothing to worry about!!!! Plod should now be able to concentrate on other things and just follow up anything that comes of the ANPR!

if you've got nothing to hide you've surely got nothing to worry about!!!!

If you've got nothing whatsoever to hide you are just the sort of colourless and tedious bore who SHOULDN'T be calling the shots as to how the rest of us choose to live our lives. But I'm not worried, lol,lol........ ; )........ even though I anticipate having some things to hide well into old age and even beyond!

As above!!!! Its been said hundreds of times but if you've got nothing to hide you've surely got nothing to worry about!!!! Plod should now be able to concentrate on other things and just follow up anything that comes of the ANPR!

If you've got nothing to hide you wouldn't mind Constable Plod wandering around car parks, doing roadside checks, stopping vehicles etc to check insurance discs for 1/4 the cost of some hi-tech solution used for a population of 60 million to be used on a population of 84,000. Then all the policemen on the Island can get involved not one car at the QBR. That might just be too effective for some....1 week campaign and it would all be sorted at no extra cost. Definitely not what our politicians would like.

ELEKS Software Develops An Innovative Vehicle Registration and Licensing System for the Isle of Man

ELEKS Software, a Ukrainian IT services and product company, announced that, together with its strategic alliance partner teleologica ltd, it has supplied a new vehicle registration and licensing system (DVAS) for the Isle of Man.

ELEKS Software, a Ukrainian IT services and product company, announced that, together with its strategic alliance partner teleologica ltd, it has supplied a new vehicle registration and licensing system (DVAS) for the Isle of Man, a self governing British Crown dependency. DVAS replaced a mainframe system dating back to 1984 and is seen as flagship project in the Isle of Man’s e-government transformation strategy.

If you've got nothing to hide you wouldn't mind Constable Plod wandering around car parks, doing roadside checks, stopping vehicles etc to check insurance discs for 1/4 the cost of some hi-tech solution used for a population of 60 million to be used on a population of 84,000. Then all the policemen on the Island can get involved not one car at the QBR. That might just be too effective for some....1 week campaign and it would all be sorted at no extra cost. Definitely not what our politicians would like.

our tax and insurance doesn't run out in the same week, its a year round thing.that would use less man hours if done using technology. i'm surprised you have a PC when you could use a pen and paper.

Archived