Vehicle Plate Recognition

Albert Tatlock

ELEKS Software Develops An Innovative Vehicle Registration and Licensing System for the Isle of Man

ELEKS Software, a Ukrainian IT services and product company, announced that, together with its strategic alliance partner teleologica ltd, it has supplied a new vehicle registration and licensing system (DVAS) for the Isle of Man.

ELEKS Software, a Ukrainian IT services and product company, announced that, together with its strategic alliance partner teleologica ltd, it has supplied a new vehicle registration and licensing system (DVAS) for the Isle of Man, a self governing British Crown dependency. DVAS replaced a mainframe system dating back to 1984 and is seen as flagship project in the Isle of Man’s e-government transformation strategy.

thats the 'new' tax disc system where the discs are printed off in the post office rather than someone writing it out by hand and keeping a duplicate in a book for someone to add to a database later. the new system uses the database to create reminders with a bar code, and when you take the reminder in it gets scanned and the printer churns out the disc. noithing to do with ANPR.

you'll be telling us about the new boat for the steam packet next, the ben my chree.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As above!!!! Its been said hundreds of times but if you've got nothing to hide you've surely got nothing to worry about!!!! Plod should now be able to concentrate on other things and just follow up anything that comes of the ANPR!

I have much to hide - but none of it's illegal.

I don't have a problem with ANPR being used to catch the uninsured, unlicensed and so on, but this article (below) shows that the UK is already using ANPR for other purposes. IF we go down the route of using ANPR, then Tynwald MUST be strongly 'encouraged' to make sure that such extended use of ANPR doesn't happen here. That's assuming, of course, that any ANPR system used on the Isle of Man would be independant and not just a sub-sysatem of the UK system. If the latter was the case, the UK snoops could of course track all of us here on God's Own Island from the comfort of their swivel-chairs, without having to even buy a ticket to come across!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Police are 'tracking' our journeys

A network of infrared cameras set up by the Highways Agency to calculate journey times is now being used by the Police and MI5. The move means that authorities are now able to track our motorway miles and can store the information for up to five years.

A total of 1,090 cameras are set up on Britain's entire motorway network, each capable of reading a number plate and recording the date, time and location of the car. But this information is now linked to a police database, which is part of an operation backed by £32 million of tax money.

It's the latest move towards a total surveillance society in the UK, as the Police already operate thousands of CCTV cameras and can use London congestion charge cameras for surveillance if required.

However, the use of Highways Agency cameras has been attacked by human rights campaigners Privacy International. Spokesman Simon Davies said: "This is the latest layer in a plan to monitor people from the second they leave their front door to the moment they return. It is being constructed in secret."

Mark Nichol

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am happy to live on an Island that the above system is in place, I do not believe it a crime against my personal liberty that when i am driving down the road a camera installed in a police vehicle will read my number plate and inform them that my vehicle is fully insured and fully taxed. I also believe that the only people worried are those without insurance or tax.

Your vehicle details are already kept on a computer, so what is the difference apart from the information being accessed.

Any thing that cuts the number of un-insured or un-taxed vehicles on the road is a bonus.

I am happy to live on an Island that the above system is in place, I do not believe it a crime against my personal liberty that when i am driving down the road a camera installed in a police vehicle will read my number plate and inform them that my vehicle is fully insured and fully taxed. I also believe that the only people worried are those without insurance or tax.

Your vehicle details are already kept on a computer, so what is the difference apart from the information being accessed.

Any thing that cuts the number of un-insured or un-taxed vehicles on the road is a bonus.

So you're all for spending huge sums to achieve something that could be done for a fraction of the cost? Oh yeah, you're a councillor.......

So you're all for spending huge sums to achieve something that could be done for a fraction of the cost?

If you have a simple, cheap administrative solution to the problem of untaxed / uninsured vehicles please post it here. Then the politicians will have no excuse for spending the money in more electronic surveillance.

So you're all for spending huge sums to achieve something that could be done for a fraction of the cost?

If you have a simple, cheap administrative solution to the problem of untaxed / uninsured vehicles please post it here. Then the politicians will have no excuse for spending the money in more electronic surveillance.

I have an idea but I still haven't got it working properly yet, so just need a bit more time.

Anyone by chance know the capacitance of a death-ray inverted flux capacitor?

I have an idea but I still haven't got it working properly yet, so just need a bit more time.

Anyone by chance know the capacitance of a death-ray inverted flux capacitor?

1pf and it's gone :P

Perhaps if they read this thread then. From the beginning.

They have been posted here already - they work - are cheap - easy to implement - have a proven track record - but they require policemen to do their job not sitting in their cars - don't have a set of initials politicians can spout - and are not high tech. Check back.

Easy Really - get caught driving your car without insurance....it gets taken away and crushed.

Build some kind of 'Angel of the North' type structure on Douglas Head with the mashed car blocks and the swines who don't have the brains to insure their car will get the message.

As for no tax....your car gets towed away and you pay £200 to get it released after it has been taxed. After one months storage if the car is not collected, guess what? It gets crushed. The mashed blocks for the 'no tax' cars are used to create a giant seagull statue on the other side of the bay.

Tourists will flock to see the statues and enjoy the quiet roads.

I think also we are missing an important asset of this system and that is it can log UK and other reg cars coming onto the island and flag them if they do not leave or re-register within a certain time period.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been told recently that the police can't access details of the current owners of vehicles at weekends - so why do they want to spend a fortune on new technology when they can't use the technology they already have?

I have been told recently that the police can't access details of the current owners of vehicles at weekends - so why do they want to spend a fortune on new technology when they can't use the technology they already have?

You've been told wrong!!!!

Archived