Department Of Tourism And Leisure

Moghrey Mie

According to the Business Pages of the Examiner the DTL didn't intend having a stand at the Best of Britain and Ireland exhibition in London in March.

Are they all too stressed to do their job?

Apparently a private company, who noticed the lack of representation, arranged to operate a stand there and promote the IOM.

Whose job is it to promote the Isle of Man 'tourist industry'?

I thought we were paying the DTL to do it.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to the Business Pages of the Examiner the DTL didn't intend having a stand at the Best of Britain and Ireland exhibition in London in March.

Maybe they've spent their £22m annual budget already?

£22 MILLION !? WTF ARE THEY SPENDING IT ON?

A lot of that is for the buses but they might as well spend it on fucking wagon wheels for all the use or good it does.

Maybe they've spent their £22m annual budget already?

Their total revenue budget is 27,115,000 pounds

335,000 pounds for New Development

1,850,000 pounds for Communications

They could afford to go to a trade show with that sort of money.

Don't often do this, but....

Fucking sort yourselves out, you have a whole department given over to an anachronsim and no cogent PR strategy. You have an excellent Treasury Minister who can string a whole paragraph together, but scuttles for the rocks when things get a bit dodgy (or the tide turns).

You know, things are more than a bit fragile out there, and is there one single message from the IOM?

No, it ranges from street lighting in Onchan (who needs a consultant, I can see when its dark) to a kind of playing with inflation thingy which means we have manipulated this year's increase thingy, quite well, really.

Sharpen up chaps. Interestingly, the last time the island was under duress, also produced the best politicians: Charles Kerruish, Clifford Irving, probably more, but they were committed, focussed and relevant. And what do we have now? Jack shit, really, but I don't remember voting for him.

Don't often do this, but....

Fucking sort yourselves out, you have a whole department given over to an anachronsim and no cogent PR strategy. You have an excellent Treasury Minister who can string a whole paragraph together, but scuttles for the rocks when things get a bit dodgy (or the tide turns).

You know, things are more than a bit fragile out there, and is there one single message from the IOM?

No, it ranges from street lighting in Onchan (who needs a consultant, I can see when its dark) to a kind of playing with inflation thingy which means we have manipulated this year's increase thingy, quite well, really.

Sharpen up chaps. Interestingly, the last time the island was under duress, also produced the best politicians: Charles Kerruish, Clifford Irving, probably more, but they were committed, focussed and relevant. And what do we have now? Jack shit, really, but I don't remember voting for him.

Well said Gladys.

Saw a letter from an illustrious Onchan MHK last week all about parking - and it wasn't Peter Karran. FFS - that's the business of the commissioners not an MHK. These guys need to seriously up their game. Some of them will be struggling at the next election if things start to pan out as badly as they potentially look.

These guys need to seriously up their game. Some of them will be struggling at the next election if things start to pan out as badly as they potentially look.

Sure they might struggle to be re-elected. But that shouldn't be the issue. Because just who are you going to replace them with?

Swapping Mr Dreadfully Mediocre for Mr Appallingly Mediocre is not going to move the IOM forward now is it?

Maybe the "Revolution" thread wasn't so tongue-in-cheek after all....

Couldn't agree more, the current crop are perhaps the weakest bunch in my time on the Island, they seem incapable of independent thought, and are driven by consultants or civil servants. The latest recruits I thought were going to be up to the job and step up with the hard questions and arguments, I have seen them however quickly absorbed into the 'old boys club' and put in their place. The current climate calls for serious people with serious ideas and I worry where Tynwald will take us.

Archived