Examiner Global Warming

Slim

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not everyone is indoctrinated yet Slim.

Your right, there's some foolish pockets of denial, I think the Australians may be convinced though.

I'm happy for folks to debate with a decent argument, that's the way it should be, but this kind of subliminal anti-climate change is just damaging. Stuart Peters has done it on the radio before too. It's an important issue, it deserves more than a scoffing dismissal.

Your right, there's some foolish pockets of denial, I think the Australians may be convinced though.

I'm happy for folks to debate with a decent argument, that's the way it should be, but this kind of subliminal anti-climate change is just damaging. Stuart Peters has done it on the radio before too. It's an important issue, it deserves more than a scoffing dismissal.

The mismanagement of the Australian environment began with the early settlers (forgiveable, since they couldn't know that the apparently lush pastures were not suitable in the long term for sheep farming because the soil productivity was very low), and has continued throughout it's modern history with such measures as the introduction of alien species and the clearance of native vegetation causing dryland salinization and soil erosion.

Since 1788, 40% of Australia's forests have been cleared (including the Victorian Mountain Ash which were as tall as any trees on the planet!), 35% have been partly logged and only 25% remain intact.

It is not a recent phenomenom, but one that has been growing for at least the last two centuries.

For further information, read Jared Diamond's book Collapse - How societies choose to Fail or Survive, particularly chapter 13, 'Mining Australia.'

Archived