Outrage In Keys Over Transexuals' Rights Comments

bluemonday

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would someone please clarify this for me. Most people seem to refer to 'his opinion' all the time. I was of the understanding that he actually VOTED against the Bill. Am I wrong in thinking this?

If it is the case, then the issue is not just about his opinion but about his potential ability to stymie the granting of rights to people that should already have such freedoms. He wouldn't be entitled that vote if he had 99% of the electorate in support of him.

When it is time to vote on a matter in the House of Keys the Speaker will ask "All those in favour, say aye; those against, say no" and he will listen and decide which way the vote went, for example "The ayes have it".

If "Divide" is called from one of the members then the voting is carried out electronically, not only for accuracy but to record in the Hansard transcripts all the votes.

In this case the vote was whether or not to pass the second reading of the Gender Recognition Bill. Indeed it was only John Houghton who voted against. The full debate is HERE. Scroll down to page 24.

Would someone please clarify this for me. Most people seem to refer to 'his opinion' all the time. I was of the understanding that he actually VOTED against the Bill. Am I wrong in thinking this?

If it is the case, then the issue is not just about his opinion but about his potential ability to stymie the granting of rights to people that should already have such freedoms. He wouldn't be entitled that vote if he had 99% of the electorate in support of him.

So you believe that, regardless of a person's own views, he/she should vote the same way that everyone else does?

Sorry, but that doesn't always happen in a democracy (or even in what passes for democracy in the House of Keys)

I do not believe that anybody should have the ability to vote and make decisions on behalf of a population. I would rather see no House of Keys, never mind just remove certain members. Yet given the unlikeligood of this form of government disappearing in the near future, if one member wished to go ahead and vote to DENY people their freedoms by setting barriers to gaining human rights then he should go. There is no 'legitimacy' to the ability to have the power to play a part in the granting of freedoms, nor is there ever.

Oh shut the fuck up will you and your constant dribbling.....

Yep.... fair point.... having read a lot of his posts I used to assume that he was a young naive person of no real harm. Now I realise that he just seems to go out looking for a fight...... Wonder if he works for a Capitalist organistation or whether mummy and daddy are capitalists who fund his utopian lifestyle!!!!!!!! :P

Archived