Outrage In Keys Over Transexuals' Rights Comments

bluemonday

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
David Anderson is religious and he absented himself from the chamber. Is that any more honest that John Houghton expressing his opinion openly?

Better to say nothing and have people believe you a bigot fool than to speak and prove it?

...Problem is it will concentrtae on gay and lesbian partneships rather than also dealing with all non marital living together relationships

Agree, and that will be the result of the silent majority giving way to the vocal minority.

It is not about 'giving way'. Gay people want equality, so their demand is for civil unions and marriage. What we get is something different, civil partnerships. It isn't any big victory for gay people and isn't marriage. In campaigning and seeing civil partnership is the best that could be achieved gay people should have campaigned to include co-habiting couples. That would have stopped civil partnerships representing a form of sexual apartheid, i.e. an equal but different status, and it would have given legal recognition to living couples who don't want marriage. But then again, the straight people did not compaign for its inclusion either.

I haven't read all of the posts but I have followed the story and read the comments on the IOM Today website. Some say that this whole story makes them ashamed to be Manx but for me it doesn't. This actually makes me proud to be Manx because for once almost all comments and responses from the public and from the politicians has been negative towards Mr Houghton and positive towards transexuals' rights. And that's good. Bigots can still have their say but they are quickly shut up and put in their place by the majority of good people on the Isle of Man.

Houghton stands by his transsexual attack

Clicky

In particular

"If somebody wants to go and have an extremely unusual operation like this elsewhere, further afield, let them do so.

"But don't make a law stating you can, and then you can have it on the NHS.

"I'm sorry, it's completely absurd, in this financial climate, when we've got so much else to think and worry about.

So 9% drop in air passengers

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=32900

It's important to proceed with the escalating costs of runway extensions.

I would have thought the cost of policing, hospital treatment, court costs and so on that arise as a result of the drunken brawling reported in the papers every week dwarf any prospective NHS costs.

Ditto the financial consequences of traffic accidents.

And of course depositors schemes.......

Maybe Mr Houghton missed this minor detail?

Gender identity disorder is a recognised medical condition.

So in effect he is actively discriminating against people with a medical condition - great advertisement for the Island - just what we need...

Archived