Outrage In Keys Over Transexuals' Rights Comments

bluemonday

Bit confused by the MR story. He says that his objections are based on financial concerns, but then calls it "indecent", next he's saying transgenderfication is a recognized medical condition and people are treated off Island anyway (or is that bit editorialising on MR's part? So is his real objection moral rather than financial?

I'm not even sure what he means by "common decency" or "indecency" which are words used to describe sexual proclivities. Which is different to this issue. Where does the moral aspect come in, it's referred to a lot by JH and by supporters ok the iomtoday site and here, but they just leave it at that, as if we are meant to follow their point and go on from there.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bit confused by the MR story. He says that his objections are based on financial concerns, but then calls it "indecent", next he's saying transgenderfication is a recognized medical condition

He doesn't say that - that's not in quotes - rather it's a 'fact' in the story.

Isle of Man politician compared to Nazis over trans comments - front page story there right now. Well done... http://www.pinknews.co.uk/

Some nice comments on there, too. Bye bye pink pound....

Though to be fair, similar 'rebels' were apparent when the bill was voted on in the UK Commons and Lords:

post-2251-1234430958_thumb.jpg

The level of maturity is evident. Mr. Houghton is a bully as well as a bigot, but he serves as a reminder of what we are really battling against here on the Island.

Mr. Browns interview on MR this morning, coupled with Houghton's outburst exposed our vulnerablity. We are unlikely to be seen as a force to be reckoned with out there in the real world.

All this Nazi comparison shite is going too far IMO. People use the Nazi comparison far too much these days to back too many arguments, and use it to try and stifle debate and shut people up. There was an ammendment to 'protect' churches in the UK from the legislation, if people remember back, so there are people against - and they have every right to say so in a democracy, whether people feel they are misguided or not.

I still say JH is entitled to his opinion, whether people agree with it or not, it's the final vote that counts - it's others who are actually damaging the island by their comparisons with Nazi's and they should shut the f*** up IMO.

JH has an electorate who will democratically judge and decide next time whether JH will stay or go.

The Nazi's also banned smoking, and forced people to carry ID cards remember and collected data on every citizen - see what I mean.

All this Nazi comparison shite is going too far IMO. People use the Nazi comparison far too much these days to back too many arguments, and use it to try and stifle debate and shut people up. There was an ammendment to 'protect' churches in the UK from the legislation, if people remember back, so there are people against - and they have every right to say so in a democracy, whether people feel they are misguided or not.

I still say JH is entitled to his opinion, whether people agree with it or not, it's the final vote that counts - it's others who are actually damaging the island by their comparisons with Nazi's and they should shut the f*** up IMO.

JH has an electorate who will democratically judge and decide next time whether JH will stay or go.

The Nazi's also banned smoking, and forced people to carry ID cards remember and collected data on every citizen - see what I mean.

Tend to agree with you there Albert. Karran saying 'it's like what the Nazis did to the Jews'...well, actually, no, it's not at all. I doubt Houghton is plotting to round up the Island's transsexuals for a nice shower. It's a hugely crass analogy. But this is Karran, a man who probably uses a jousting lance to pick his teeth.

I didn't think it was possible for Houghton to go lower in my estimation but in trying to justify his views by welding them clumsily to a specious hand-wringing over the economy - a sort of, 'times is hard enough for us taxpayers without having to support frivolous operations' - he has proved himself a cunt of the first water.

Agreed.

At the rate that this incident is spreading through various media, it needs to be nipped in the bud.

Firmly and decisively.

Everyone of course in entitled to have an opinion and to voice that opinion.

However to do so in the language and environment that this took place in, has done damage and will continue to do so as it spreads.

As I said earlier in this topic, I look forward to him producing verifiable evidence of his claim of large scale support from the people he represents.

Bit confused by the MR story. He says that his objections are based on financial concerns, but then calls it "indecent", next he's saying transgenderfication is a recognized medical condition

Well I thought that may be the case, but I didn't think MR would editorialize in that way - I figured they'd either missed the quotation marks or something like "opponants of Haughtin say ...".

Well I thought that may be the case, but I didn't think MR would editorialize in that way - I figured they'd either missed the quotation marks or something like "opponants of Haughtin say ...".

It does show something about the very bigoted and ignorant views of some in the House Of Keys. It wasn't too long since this sort of rubbish hit the news:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-183076349.html

It isn't just Houghton.

Archived