[BBC News] Vaccines 'should be encouraged'

Newsbot

What they should do is go with what people want and give the injections as 3 seperate instead of the combined then maybe more mothers would make sure their kids had the injections

Why would people want that? Where is their rational basis supported by medical research to support such position? Medicine is not about giving people what they want, it is about giving people what they need.

There is in fact much more evidence to suggest that individual injections are in fact more dangerous.

The MMR controversy was 100% hype.

What they should do is go with what people want and give the injections as 3 seperate instead of the combined then maybe more mothers would make sure their kids had the injections

Why would people want that? Where is their rational basis supported by medical research to support such position? Medicine is not about giving people what they want, it is about giving people what they need.

There is in fact much more evidence to suggest that individual injections are in fact more dangerous.

The MMR controversy was 100% hype.

Some say it was hype some say it wasn't, for me I am for the triple vaccine, but for those parents who don't want it due to their fears I would rather see them be offered the individual ones rather than none.

Such people needs to realise their fears are unfounded, not have them pandered to. There is not a single credible medical report published that links the MMR jab to autism. Yes, there was that one article in the Lancet, but numerous subsequent studies have established no link, and something like 10 of the 12 original authors of the study in the Lancet have withdrawn their names from it.

I realise many parents associate the MMR jab with autism in their children anecdotally, but this comes more from MMR clinics being the first time they see their child around others of the same age (making them begin to realise that their son or daughter is different) and a need to understand why their children has it, even though no one really knows what causes it.

That's rich coming from the guy who phased out BCG vaccinations on the island in an era when TB is making a comeback.

That's a very common misconception. BCG is meant to prevent complications of TB(like meningitis) in infancy. It provides little or no protection against TB of the lungs in later life or as an adult.

The problem in giving it to everyone is that its a live vaccine.That means that there is always the risk of getting localised forms of TB from the vaccine.

BCG is only given to people at risk according to the WHO guidelines.

Such people needs to realise their fears are unfounded, not have them pandered to. There is not a single credible medical report published that links the MMR jab to autism. Yes, there was that one article in the Lancet, but numerous subsequent studies have established no link, and something like 10 of the 12 original authors of the study in the Lancet have withdrawn their names from it.

I realise many parents associate the MMR jab with autism in their children anecdotally, but this comes more from MMR clinics being the first time they see their child around others of the same age (making them begin to realise that their son or daughter is different) and a need to understand why their children has it, even though no one really knows what causes it.

I agree but as some parents seem to jump on the band wagon of the scare mongers, would you not agree that for the health service to refuse to immunise children by an alternative but still effective way as a punishment for the ignorance of parents is a far greater risk to children and an equal act of stupidity as refusing to immunise via the triple jab. At the end of the day either method of immunisation is effective and better than digging heels in for finacial reasons.

Triskelion. I have to assume that you do not have a child that has been brain damaged after a bad reaction from the MMR vaccine.

It happens.

Well, I hope you don't either. But the research on which the MMR scare was based involved 12 children - a statistically insignificant number. The chances of serious consequences, including death, if kids DON'T take the vaccine, are large.

All drugs have side-effects. The decision whether to take a drug should be based on thorough research.

S

I agree but as some parents seem to jump on the band wagon of the scare mongers, would you not agree that for the health service to refuse to immunise children by an alternative but still effective way as a punishment for the ignorance of parents is a far greater risk to children and an equal act of stupidity as refusing to immunise via the triple jab. At the end of the day either method of immunisation is effective and better than digging heels in for finacial reasons.

I think you're right.

I think you're right.

Oh shit myself and LDV have agreed (note to self ring doctor in morning to up my dose) :lol:

Archived