Mea - Fuel Surcharge To Stay In Force

Albert Tatlock

The Island already has an interconnector with the UK for the transfer of power and energy security, and has done for the last 6 or 7 years if my memory is correct.

Then I'd like to sign up for electricity from an alternative supplier from the UK please if I can buy it at UK prices.

As a consumer I did not ask the MEA to grossly mismanage its projects and would like to access an alternative supplier where I do not have to pay for management and Government incompetence. Could it be declared bankrupt, closed down, and we just buy in power from the UK? Is there any particular reaso why we need the MEA?

we need the mea cos it supports/shows our 'independence' and keeps folks in jobs. it wasn't allowed to go bankrupt when the con first showed up cos it would send the wrong 'message' to the rest of the world about our governments way of handling things,( and it would have shit on the banks!! how ironic eh now they've shit on us ) it is effectively a government operation/department anyway. it is just badged as mea for public consumption. how many other public/private operations have a government appointed board?? someone said a while ago the the mea showroom in douglas was loosing 70k?? a year and spouted use it or loose it. but it will never be allowed to get lost cos it's part of the mea which we fund through thieving electric bills and also taxes. the turbines in the 'new' station are obsolete already, cos they are that crap the manufacturer no longer makes them. the power station will be life expired before it is paid for and then we start again with a fat conning wanker over spending and mismanageing on our behalf for their own ends.

The daft thing is, sometimes it is cheaper to bring in the electricity than generate it locally, so they buy in from as far away as eastern Europe, and still charge us the fuel surcharge.

What they are doing is nothing short of criminal in my humble opinion.

Me think it time we have wind farm. Once assemble wind free and island windy. This good value. More good for resident than long long air port for air planes. Spend money well and money go much much further. :unsure:

God, it's Confucius incarnate.

confused more like. the concept of 'free' power is a bit misleading. the turbines require maintenance, and batteries to store the excess energy in for use at less windy times. the batteries don't last forever either and aswell as life expire they can just give up ( like your car battery ). there would still be running costs for the infrastructure too.

The MEA maintaining its FCA is highly dubious, where is this extra penny per unit going, in profits, to pay off the debt or to pay the CEO's bonus?

If you look at the impact on businesses on the Island they pay 1p per unit more during the day and 0.5p per unit more during the night in the guise of the FCA. A friend of mine says the impact of this additional payment on their business is an extra £2k per month just in the FCA, which in this difficult time would be far better off in his bank account to help maintain his staffing levels than in the MEA's account.

The Government has a stated strategy to bring more and more e-commerce to the Island, this sector whilst not overly labout intensive is Power Intensive and we have in the last 3 years seen 4 datacentres built in support of the Gov's 2014 strategy. If the FCA is maintained, these businesses which use large amounts of power, day in day out will be paying 10's if not 100's of thousands of pounds a year over and above what they should be paying just because the MEA keeps the FCA in place to help us in when the prices have to go back up again. Do you think that these businesses will see this as beneficial to them or a hinderance and stop them from making further investment?

IMHO Maintaining the FCA is shortsighted, greedy and dangerous and has the ability to drive our businesses either away from the Island or out of business.

As for me, my power was off again the other night, not even a mention of it on MR or an apology from the MEA so much for stopping the lights from going out.

The MEA maintaining its FCA is highly dubious, where is this extra penny per unit going, in profits, to pay off the debt or to pay the CEO's bonus?

If you look at the impact on businesses on the Island they pay 1p per unit more during the day and 0.5p per unit more during the night in the guise of the FCA. A friend of mine says the impact of this additional payment on their business is an extra £2k per month just in the FCA, which in this difficult time would be far better off in his bank account to help maintain his staffing levels than in the MEA's account.

The Government has a stated strategy to bring more and more e-commerce to the Island, this sector whilst not overly labout intensive is Power Intensive and we have in the last 3 years seen 4 datacentres built in support of the Gov's 2014 strategy. If the FCA is maintained, these businesses which use large amounts of power, day in day out will be paying 10's if not 100's of thousands of pounds a year over and above what they should be paying just because the MEA keeps the FCA in place to help us in when the prices have to go back up again. Do you think that these businesses will see this as beneficial to them or a hinderance and stop them from making further investment?

IMHO Maintaining the FCA is shortsighted, greedy and dangerous and has the ability to drive our businesses either away from the Island or out of business.

I think an SME (or even an individual) should take the MEA to the small claims court and claim it back as an unfair charge - thus setting a precedent.

This is nothing but 'legalised fraud' IMO - and one which cannot be justified.

I think an SME (or even an individual) should take the MEA to the small claims court and claim it back as an unfair charge - thus setting a precedent.

This is nothing but 'legalised fraud' IMO - and one which cannot be justified.

Well, the loans have to be paid back somehow. If not by electrcity users, then through general taxation.

S

Well, the loans have to be paid back somehow. If not by electrcity users, then through general taxation.S

S if the MEA was a private company that had overspent due to poor project management and had borrowed to the extent that it could not pay its bank creditors back would it not go into receivership, an administrator be appointed and someone buy it for its real value?

Is the Government legally liable for the debts of an 'authority'? Probably they have taken this on as I recall the external auditors qualified the MEA's accounts.

At the end of the day it appears that public authorities can mismanage their business without any accountability, liability or come-back. I suspect that this will be the position for the MEA.

Well, the loans have to be paid back somehow. If not by electrcity users, then through general taxation.S

S if the MEA was a private company that had overspent due to poor project management and had borrowed to the extent that it could not pay its bank creditors back would it not go into receivership, an administrator be appointed and someone buy it for its real value?

Is the Government legally liable for the debts of an 'authority'? Probably they have taken this on as I recall the external auditors qualified the MEA's accounts.

At the end of the day it appears that public authorities can mismanage their business without any accountability, liability or come-back. I suspect that this will be the position for the MEA.

But if you say "lessons have been learned" everything is OK and you can continue bumbling along wasting hard earned cash!!

Yes, indeed. The trouble is that the MEA is a publicly-owned body, and if the IOMG lets it fail, the IOMG will find it difficult to borrow money in the future - let alone attract investment, savings, etc.

S

Archived