Bit Late In The Day

bluemonday

About 20 years too late in the day.

The Isle of Man is an incredibly beautiful place which manages to cram all of the scenic beauty of Ireland and Scotland in to one small 50km by 30km island. Yet for some reason the island struggles to sell this selling point to tourists around Europe, instead concentrating on the TT races and the occasional visitor from the UK who just might be interested in visiting a few dull castles.

The Isle of Man is a place of outstanding beauty but the politicians and those tourism officials are people of outstanding dumbness for failing to attract tourists.

Easy enough to say (and I've probably said it myself in the past) but harder to come up with a solution.

Yes, we have the beauty of Ireland and Scotland, but not the grandiose vistas of the Lake District or Snowdonia - so why would someone in (say) Birmingham or Blackburn come here for the landscape? Even if it was free on the boat, what do we really have for the holidaymaker? Plenty of heritage stuff if you're interested in it, but little else.

The USP that the island has (and you may not like this) is that it's how people REMEMBER the UK to be 20-30 years ago. Maybe we should concentrate on that (although I'm sure the DTL have run 'take a step back in time' campaigns in the past). It would take a sea-change in public acceptance though - from the service industry to the man in the street 'visit the IOM - the friendly island' kinda thing.

It's easy to knock the DTL, but tourism here is a complex problem. If we GOT lots of visitors, we probably don't have the accommodation any more, and who would build a hotel here just for the holiday season?

I'm leaning more towards the combining of the DTL and the DTI, save all those big salaries and let tourism more or less take care of itself. If we have an industry, it will survive on its own merits and a bit more advertising with the money saved.

Easy enough to say (and I've probably said it myself in the past) but harder to come up with a solution.

Yes, we have the beauty of Ireland and Scotland, but not the grandiose vistas of the Lake District or Snowdonia - so why would someone in (say) Birmingham or Blackburn come here for the landscape? Even if it was free on the boat, what do we really have for the holidaymaker? Plenty of heritage stuff if you're interested in it, but little else.

The USP that the island has (and you may not like this) is that it's how people REMEMBER the UK to be 20-30 years ago. Maybe we should concentrate on that (although I'm sure the DTL have run 'take a step back in time' campaigns in the past). It would take a sea-change in public acceptance though - from the service industry to the man in the street 'visit the IOM - the friendly island' kinda thing.

It's easy to knock the DTL, but tourism here is a complex problem. If we GOT lots of visitors, we probably don't have the accommodation any more, and who would build a hotel here just for the holiday season?

I'm leaning more towards the combining of the DTL and the DTI, save all those big salaries and let tourism more or less take care of itself. If we have an industry, it will survive on its own merits and a bit more advertising with the money saved.

So do you think the DTL is £27m of our money well spent.

Where in my post do I say that?

What I AM saying is that it's easier to be a critic, and that if you actually try to come up with common sense solutions to our ailing tourism industry, it's not quite the breeze that some people on here often suggest.

What I AM saying is that it's easier to be a critic, and that if you actually try to come up with common sense solutions to our ailing tourism industry, it's not quite the breeze that some people on here often suggest.

A formula one circuit and 6 lap-dance clubs would make a good start. I'd turn up.

Where in my post do I say that?

I'm not being critical why not give me £27m and I'll show I can do better.

The DTL is not only responsible for tourism (meaning people coming to visit the island). It is also responsible for helping to support heritage and culture including the arts, music, history etc. Much of what they are responsible for is stuff which benefits the people living here at many different levels. Support for heritage, culture and the arts is always contentious but is hugely important to the society IMO.

There might be an argument for rename the DTL - ie removing the word 'tourism' from the name.

I think that it would be a mistake to combine its functions with the DTI. These are two separate areas of interest requiring different sensibilities, skills and knowledge.

You are certainly correct in the case of the Lake district. Myself and Mrs Cheesypeas spent a smashing weekend in the lakes three weeks ago. The hotel was excellent, the service in shops, pubs, restaurants was first class as was the food. People actually go out of their way to be helpful, imagine that. The scenery is out of this world too

Tourism here is pretty much dead, and we should spend the money on new facilities for the spotty generation.

"The Isle of Man is an incredibly beautiful place which manages to cram all of the scenic beauty of Ireland and Scotland in to one small 50km by 30km island. "

This of course is nonsense. The island is very attractive, but it doesn't compare with South-West Ireland, Snowdonia, the Lakes, or Scotland.

I think the island should be marketed for its stress-busting qualities. We need a small thalassotherapy spa, with a good seafod/wholefood restaurant, golf, nature trails, riding, sailing and a sort of dude ranch farm where people can help with the animals. Accomodation in Cregneash-style crofts. Pony traps. Leave your watch behind, and just walk back into the 19th century. I'm sure Club-Med could be persuaded to set it up and manage it.

S

Archived