Bit Late In The Day

bluemonday

i'm still saying why the fuk dont iom gov not have gigs on? big fukers bringing in tourism??? are they to busy making the moneys some where else? bring back tourism

By gigs I assume you mean bands? Who's going to pay the Steam Packet or airline fares to get here, plus accomodation possibly, when they can see the same bands nearer to their home towns in the UK for a lot less cost (both time and money). If you're aiming the gigs at the local market, would there be enough local residents willing to pay the costs that have been seen in the past to see these bands? Is there anywhere big enough for the gig to make a profit, bearing in mind how much the bands would charge to play. I have no doubt that some bands would be a big enough draw to fill, say, the Villa, but what would the ticket cost be?

'Unfortunately, during the past four years, the industry has not received the level of support and understanding required of the DTL.'

Is that a printing error? Shouldn't it read 'during the past forty years......'

Leave your watch behind, and just walk back into the 19th century.

Excellent idea! We could even give them a dose of TB on arrival to add authenticity...

Of course it doesn't stack up against places like Scotland. One piddly little hill in the middle is hardly going to rival the wildness and grandeur of the likes of Knoydart for example.

However it's not all doom and gloom. We spend a week or two every summer in North Devon as it's free - house swap. The only fishing tackle shop for miles is in Ilfracombe. The last time I was there I was struck by how run down and scruffy the place looked. It reminded me of Douglas but for one thing - it's stuffed to the gills with Grockles.

i'm still saying why the fuk dont iom gov not have gigs on? big fukers bringing in tourism??? are they to busy making the moneys some where else? bring back tourism

If you are organising gigs for residents of the island fair enough. But for tourists? I don't see that being a big attraction for potential tourists from the UK. Most folk in the UK that want to go and see a big name band will do so nearer to home at a fraction of the cost without the complicated travel arrangements.

A big problem about potential tourism for the island, is alot of people in the UK don't even know where the island is! Mention you're going to the IOM, and they think that you're off to the Channel Islands. Looking at the small holiday ads in some of the papers, Isle of Wight, Jersey, Guernsey are always in there. Isle of Man? Very rarely do you see an advert. And the one ad I did see had a generic picture of a couple of ramblers stood in a moorland that could have been anywhere.

The one thing the island has is scenery. If you are into cycling or walking or just scenic views, it is an ideal place and although the Lake District, Ireland, Scotland are going to attract more tourists, you may find that tourists that have gone to these places time and time again may want to try somewhere different. But only if they know the island exists via extensive marketing.

Leave your watch behind, and just walk back into the 19th century.

Excellent idea! We could even give them a dose of TB on arrival to add authenticity...

Of course it doesn't stack up against places like Scotland. One piddly little hill in the middle is hardly going to rival the wildness and grandeur of the likes of Knoydart for example.

However it's not all doom and gloom. We spend a week or two every summer in North Devon as it's free - house swap. The only fishing tackle shop for miles is in Ilfracombe. The last time I was there I was struck by how run down and scruffy the place looked. It reminded me of Douglas but for one thing - it's stuffed to the gills with Grockles.

That's it: the IOM USP - No Grockles!!!!

Tourism has gone, full stop. To pretend that we're gonna attract many people outside of the TT, without building a pile of holiday-type infrastructure is ridiculous and living in dreamland. Even if we had the infrastructure people won't come here, cos it's cheaper to go to far better places in the UK and Europe.

The sooner we realise that, the sooner we can move on and concentrate on getting far more new high value businesses and products located here. The only major exception to that I would say is to build an F1/F2/Motorcycle cct and stick with what we are very good at doing.

Merge both MNH and DTL with the DTI I say, and put together an integrated and coherent strategy on building up the economy, including what's left of tourism. Too much is going on too many high salaries for no benefit whatsover - whilst in the meantime events are getting cancelled (e.g. the Jazz fest) to pay the damn salaries. What's the hell's that all about?

Archived