[BBC News] Unemployment is at 12-year high

Newsbot

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah yeah and theres more, come here.....on top of that 926 there are a pile on FIS, a pile on 'the sick', a pile on 'Supp ben' and the masking goes on. If I were unemployed at the moment I would be heading off to college (CofE) and learning Sciences or engineering. I am really glad the miniBee is smart and is staying on at school to pursue a legal career, I think about some of her friends and it makes me sad, what will happen to them? We are looking at their being lots more unemployment, I suspect the current financial poop screw will effect school leavers for the next 15 years. I toyed with the idea of the tightening of Work permits but thats a stupid idea, if the migrant workers have no jobs then the effect on the local general market is just the same as locals having no job (aside from the migrants work harder and are generally a lot nicer than certain local crettins...ah but hey, the crettins never worked anyway)

Do away with the dole, see how long the unemployed stay unemployed then. I was unemployed for a while when I was a yoof, it was great, I didn't actually want a job and the free money was just the ticket.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Isle-of-Man...vels.4983031.jp

Figures include those who require work permits, those under 18 and those signing on for credits only. Not included are those under 18 registered at the careers office but not claiming any benefit.

The 'those who require work permits' is an interesting addition, it would be good to know what proportion of the unemployed require work permits.

With 260 unemployed construction workers, now would be a great time to get stuck into a large scale public housing project. There's bound to be people losing their homes over the next 12 months, demand for public housing is likely to be higher than ever, and it's over subscribed now. We should be building houses, schools and healthcare and welfare properties not runways.

no wonder we are in a kerfuffle with bell ends maths. 926 out of work, 2.5% of the working population, and a workforce of 46 000. ( all on the one interview on the radio this morning ) if 926 is 2.5%, then that is 1/40th of the workforce. 926 x 40 = 37040. where do the other 8960 workers come from?? perhaps they are civil servants and don't count as workers???

Its 2.2% and 45,000 in the article but do you count the percentage on the total numeber working or the total number working and the total unemployed

So if the number of unemployed is 926 that is 2.2% of 42,091. so only 2,900 short.

maths pays to get the starting figures in equation correct. Also is the 926 included in the 45,000 or additional to, that is two different calculatios and results

2.2 % of 45,000 = 990

2.2% of 46,000 = 1,012

obviously the 2.2 and 926 are wrong or the 45,000 is wrong

The fact that it includes those needing a work permit is because if you are laid off yo get unemploymenty based on your IOM and UK N I. If you need a work permit or not. If you have liwved here less than 5 years and are notba manx Worker you may not get Income support

So that is how they know how many unemployed need work permits

The positive side of unemployment is that it may encourage some people to look further afield for work - like in the 80s - and like the Poles etc who came to the British Isles for work during the boom. It gives people encouragement to go out into the world and look for new opportunities and experiences. Which is ultimately a good thing - even if it seems difficult at first. Lots of my generation went away in the 80s and did not come back for ages. Work will pick up in other places before it picks up here -0 given the inevitable lag.

I hope that work uncertainty will also encourage more people to go into further education. Ultimately a degree is seldom a waste of time - even if the direct benefits are sometimes difficult to quantify immediately. Education for its own sake is not a waste of time or money.

I'm a total optimist about this downturn. I think that good will come out of it.

Slim - @ your point about people potentially losing their homes: I hope that imaginative measures will be found to try to prevent people losing their homes ... rather than building public housing for them. You might as well semi nationalize their private homes rather than them moving. I also doubt that this little island has adequate funds to pay for public works to keep people in jobs.

I'm a total optimist about this downturn. I think that good will come out of it.

Why do you feel so optimistic Pongo?

Much of my cautious optimism is covered in what I wrote immediately above the sentence you quoted.

Also ++ - economic depressions are typically a time of innovation, re thinking and renewal. Eg - the time to build a business is often during a down - when costs are often lower (rents, wages etc). Depression often creates new opportunities which would otherwise not be economic.

Extended boom almost always leads to complacency and short term-ism. The last boom went on too long. A boom which goes on too long is dangerous because it makes the fall worse. And if it goes on too long then whole generations can be lulled into an unreal sense of complacency - thinking that jobs will always be easy to find etc.

At a simple level I also welcome the end of easy credit.

Ups and downs are also important for the society and the culture.

Archived