Damaging Article From Guardian

Dhoon Boy

I do think the convergence of opinions on either side of the Atlantic to take action against what they deem to be Tax Havens is worrying.

Brown leads Global drive to close down Tax Havens

in my mind it's big country bullying, and protectionist. An administration has a right to structure its tax structures as it sees fit - if other countries disagree with this THEY have to enforce capital controls to stop their citizens moving funds to these locations - not bully those they dislike into changing their rules

I agree with Brown - and since when did 'protectionism' become a dirty word? Oh, let me think - since it became a threat to the' big boys' controlling the global economy?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember you saying you like nostalgia, but that would bring the Island to its knees. What would people do? Fish or farm?

If the financial sector collapsed the Island would not be able to sustain the population it has.

If it happened over a long period and the financial sector incrementally decreased in size then it wouldn't be so bad, even good. However, if it collapsed it would be a massive catastrophe.

Who do you mean when you refer to those directly or indirectly involved? Everyone in the finance sector IS involved in sustaining tax avoidance on the Island whether it is seen as a problem or not.

In any case, without the financial sector there won't be a lot of people remaining on the Island to hold that self-respect. I do not particularly like the effects of the finance sector on the Island because of many of its consequences but it is the only thing that keeps the economy really ticking over.

You're a piss-poor anarchist LDV!!

You're a piss-poor anarchist LDV!!

Why, what would an anarchist want?

And is this because I do not think that the sudden collapse of the finance sector would be a good thing? It would leave thousands out of jobs. That is terrible no matter what ideology you have. In a world where humanity unfortunately depends on waged work it would be senseless to advocate the catastrophic consequences of what you seem to be happy seeing.

The world would be a better place without capitalism. Without the greed that it creates. I do find it a disappointing how the character of the Island is overshadowed by business and finance. But people's livelihood is what matters and what you would seem to want would only be a shift in capital with extreme hardship for workers. I would not wish anyone to lose their jobs through redundancy or economic crisies given the difficulties it obviously causes.

when did 'protectionism' become a dirty word?

I think you'll find it became a dirty word after the 1930s when protectionism shut down world trade and caused the world economy to contract by about 25%.

Does it not seem like complete hypocrisy for the very nations that advocate free trade so much to then fall back on protectionist arguments such as this? Just seems as if the western nations are willing to pick and choose what works best for them. Which is understandable and has always happened, but the hypocrisy seems obvious.

I think you'll find it became a dirty word after the 1930s when protectionism shut down world trade and caused the world economy to contract by about 25%.

Actually, rather earlier. The famous man of letters, Frank Harris, mentions it in his somewhat salacious memoirs, which were published in 1922. Debates about free trade versus protectionism had already existed for many years. The British objected to American markets being as closed then as Japan's.

The reason I remember this so long after reading the book is because Harris drew a parallel between the British and American attitudes to trade, and their respective womenfolk's choice of underwear.

S

Actually, rather earlier. The famous man of letters, Frank Harris, mentions it in his somewhat salacious memoirs, which were published in 1922. Debates about free trade versus protectionsism had already existed for many years. The British objected to American markets being as closed then as Japan's.

The reason I remember this so long after reading the book is because Harris drew a parallel between the British and American attitudes to trade, and their respective womenfolk's choice of underwear.

S

oh come on, you can't stop there...

Actually, rather earlier. The famous man of letters, Frank Harris, mentions it in his somewhat salacious memoirs, which were published in 1922. Debates about free trade versus protectionsism had already existed for many years. The British objected to American markets being as closed then as Japan's.

S

He probably wont...............lol, lol ;)

Keyborer, there is more to emulating your hero, Keyboarder (imitation being the sincerest form of flattery), than simply adding a brace of "LOL"s to the end of a post.

Things like wit, insight, and a willingness to challenge the notions of the herd.

You have a long way to go, and I suspect you lack the necessary equipment for the journey.

S

S

Sorry, my memory is hazy. Something about a transatlantic voyage, a lifeboat, a Yankee flapper, and an impediment to getting to know her better.

But, as in the Doha trade round, persistence, I seem to recall, paid off.

Harris used the occasion for a (very) brief lesson on the self-evident merits of free trade.

Then his attention was drawn to other things.

S

Keyborer, there is more to emulating your hero, Keyboarder (imitation being the sincerest form of flattery), than simply adding a brace of "LOL"s to the end of a post.

Things like wit, insight, and a willingness to challenge the notions of the herd.

You have a long way to go, and I suspect you lack the necessary equipment for the journey.

S

I'd have thought you'd see through this one Sebrof - has to be one of Slim's sockpuppets (see budget/clarkson thread etc) - Slim you're rubbish, that's two now I've seen through.

Yes I have everything you mentioned there. Thank you boy.

K lol,lol ;)

Archived