[BBC News] Hay bale cargo for island's races

Newsbot

you will find that there straw bales,

and the reason thay have brought them in, is u cant get any on the island at the moment

Did they ask anybody to grow some oats so they could have straw?

why oats,

or have i missed some joke, lol im slow

A cargo of 800 hay bales is transported to the Isle of Man to border a race circuit.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7898240.stm

That was posted on wossisname's blog on the steam packet site 12 fucking days ago.

How in the name of all that is holy is this news?

I cannot believe people get paid for this shit.

I would also guess that it might have something to do with the fact that the new balers all make the big cylindrical bales and not the little ones.

These bigger chaps then seem to be wrapped in plastic and left outside negating the requirement for haybarns.

It was also pretty wet at baling time last year so I would assume that the local farmers will have used all theirs (the small amount they could make) to feed their animals.

you will find that there straw bales,

and the reason thay have brought them in, is u cant get any on the island at the moment

Did they ask anybody to grow some oats so they could have straw?

why oats,

or have i missed some joke, lol im slow

I didn't think I had to list all the sources of straw for people who lived here.

When I was growing up straw came from oats, wheat or barley.

Have things changed?

I would also guess that it might have something to do with the fact that the new balers all make the big cylindrical bales and not the little ones.

These bigger chaps then seem to be wrapped in plastic and left outside negating the requirement for haybarns.

It was also pretty wet at baling time last year so I would assume that the local farmers will have used all theirs (the small amount they could make) to feed their animals.

just to add that as I understand it, straw is used on farms just for animal bedding, animals don't usually eat it, (they usually eat hay or silage), straw is usually a waste product and I think sometimes it's burnt in the field rather than collect it if it's surplus to requirements (like if they don't keep animals), you sometimes hear road reports on the UK radio about smoke affecting traffic.

I suppose all the old square balers have rusted away or gone to the scrapyard by now, I don't know if Balladoole still use any after they have done the thrashing, I think they keep the straw straight for MNH for thatching

as I see it, SPCo are very supportive of 'their' races around Billown, but I suppose they are an obvious target for the 'knockers' who just like to bad-mouth any good deed done

Archived