[BBC News] Hay bale cargo for island's races

Newsbot

I would also guess that it might have something to do with the fact that the new balers all make the big cylindrical bales and not the little ones.

These bigger chaps then seem to be wrapped in plastic and left outside negating the requirement for haybarns.

It was also pretty wet at baling time last year so I would assume that the local farmers will have used all theirs (the small amount they could make) to feed their animals.

just to add that as I understand it, straw is used on farms just for animal bedding, animals don't usually eat it, (they usually eat hay or silage), straw is usually a waste product and I think sometimes it's burnt in the field rather than collect it if it's surplus to requirements (like if they don't keep animals), you sometimes hear road reports on the UK radio about smoke affecting traffic.

I suppose all the old square balers have rusted away or gone to the scrapyard by now, I don't know if Balladoole still use any after they have done the thrashing, I think they keep the straw straight for MNH for thatching

as I see it, SPCo are very supportive of 'their' races around Billown, but I suppose they are an obvious target for the 'knockers' who just like to bad-mouth any good deed done

The small rectangular bales were very labour intensive. They needed to be manhandled from the back of the baler, then manhandled from field to barn and then manhandled into a barn.

To help reduce the manpower needed, a syetem known as the "flat 8" was developed. The baler laid 8 bales into a specially designed sled which left then in pods of 8 all over the fields. A tractor fitted with a specially designed shovel could scoop up the bales 8 at a time.

The flat 8 system was then superceded by the round bale. A lot of farms won't have a baler and they will rent or contract one from a neighbour. In rural districts this practice helps keep machinery ownership at the minimum level needed. eg I'll combine your wheat if you bale my hay. IYKWIM.

Bloody hell. I'm waffling about bales. Time for lunch. :D

I would also guess that it might have something to do with the fact that the new balers all make the big cylindrical bales and not the little ones.

These bigger chaps then seem to be wrapped in plastic and left outside negating the requirement for haybarns.

It was also pretty wet at baling time last year so I would assume that the local farmers will have used all theirs (the small amount they could make) to feed their animals.

just to add that as I understand it, straw is used on farms just for animal bedding, animals don't usually eat it, (they usually eat hay or silage), straw is usually a waste product and I think sometimes it's burnt in the field rather than collect it if it's surplus to requirements (like if they don't keep animals), you sometimes hear road reports on the UK radio about smoke affecting traffic.

I suppose all the old square balers have rusted away or gone to the scrapyard by now, I don't know if Balladoole still use any after they have done the thrashing, I think they keep the straw straight for MNH for thatching

as I see it, SPCo are very supportive of 'their' races around Billown, but I suppose they are an obvious target for the 'knockers' who just like to bad-mouth any good deed done

u will find no straw is burned over here, as that there is a market for it here, straw is used as a bulker feed for cattle, or fed on its own as well as bedding

there is less straw burning in the uk now as it is chopped leaveing the combine as the value of the npk in it are worth more back in the ground than selling the bales and useing fert to replace the lost npks,

there has been 6 artics of hay been brought in so far this year for farmers, as there is a lack of feed on the island this year

Initially, the BLOG of 6 February went like this:

"Around 800 hay bails were transported from Heysham this week. The square hay bales were not available in the Isle of Man. Without them, the Southern 100 could not take place so we were more than happy to support the Southern 100 Motorcycle Racing Committee in bringing the hay bails over. This is only one of the many ways in which we assist local events."

but some spoilsport got it amended. The bailsbales are still square, though, not rectangular.

Today's BLOG - "Welcome to ‘A Word With Woodward’

a chance to have your say….." is a rant about select committees, and how nobody listens.....

It seems no-one has had a chance to get a word in on "a chance to have your say" for ages

Archived