[BBC News] UN declares Manx Gaelic 'extinct'

Newsbot

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Isle of Man's native language is declared officially extinct by a United Nations organisation.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7901763.stm

This really depends on your definition of 'extinct'. Usually a language is declared extinct when there are no more native speakers, but then that depends on your definition of 'native speaker'. Many people would argue that Ned Maddrell was not a native speaker as he learned his Manx from a relative in childhood. However, there are people today who have been speaking Manx from birth.

Unlike other 'extinct' languages, there has never been a time when Manx has not been spoken, so at least we have continuity of use. It has not had to have been reconstructed like some other languages that have been revived. There are people alive today who learned their manx from native speakers.

Unlike other 'extinct' languages, there has never been a time when Manx has not been spoken, so at least we have continuity of use. It has not had to have been reconstructed like some other languages that have been revived. There are people alive today who learned their manx from native speakers.

I think this all depends on the definition that UNESCO uses. If they use the definition of native speaker as someone who has spoken the language from birth, then obviously it becomes hard to prove that a person did not speak another language before Manx, such as Ned Maddrell. Assuming he did, and assuming there is a continuous line of people who are native speakers, then I think I have to agree - it is technically not "extinct". A lot of the culture is lost if a language is not taught by someone who spoke the language natively. I'd expect Latin is technically extinct too but many more people use it than Manx.

There's more people who speak Esperanto, Sindarin Elvish or Klingon than Manx.

Your point being...?

This sentence, or a variation of it, is repeated by rote any time Manx language is mentioned.

Another one is, "Manx is useless. Everyone speaks English anyway"

The worth of a language can't be measured in terms of how 'useful' it is, or how many people speak it. Its value is cultural.

Gyn chengey, gyn cheer!

Despite the recent revival in Manx language, I don't think enough is being done to preserve the associated Manx culture. I've seen roads signs that once had english and manx place names drop the manx version. Manx cottages are being quietly demolished to build blockwork apartments or houses with weird half timber finishing and plenty of other aspects of Manx heritage are being dissolved or anglicised. It's been happening since the Victorians!

I don't think it's confined to Gaelg though:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7702913.stm

Gyn chengey, gyn cheer!

But I tend to think that what makes the Island distinctive and separate from the United Kingdom has more to do with political status, the very few cultural idiosyncrasies and events or oddities specific to the Island. Not the language because so few speak it.

Despite the recent revival in Manx language, I don't think enough is being done to preserve the associated Manx culture. I've seen roads signs that once had english and manx place names drop the manx version.

Really? Certainly in the North of the island lots of new road signs have gone up which are in Manx and English (just in case you can read Manx and not English).

I don't know about the south of the island though - I don't go there too often as they are strange down that way!

The Manx language is extinct. Fair enough if you want to meet up and speak/learn it but don't burden the rest of us with it.

I'm getting right pished off phoning the likes of Manx Telecom or the MEA and there is some Govag drawling away on a recorded message and doing his bilingual bit. How crap is that when you want to just pay a bill or report a fault or whatever. Very irritating indeed.

The Manx language is extinct. Fair enough if you want to meet up and speak/learn it but don't burden the rest of us with it.

I'm getting right pished off phoning the likes of Manx Telecom or the MEA and there is some Govag drawling away on a recorded message and doing his bilingual bit. How crap is that when you want to just pay a bill or report a fault or whatever. Very irritating indeed.

Extinct means:

ex·tinct (k-stngkt)

adj.

1. No longer existing or living: an extinct species.

2. No longer burning or active: an extinct volcano.

3. No longer in use: an extinct custom. See Synonyms at dead.

4. Law Lacking a claimant; void: an extinct title.

My Mum still speaks Manx to her sisters.....I learnt a little bit from her as a child, but she was brought up speaking it.

For it to be extinct, means no one speaks it.

That's just crappy PR, like those water authority vans with Ushtey written in Uncial type. I don't speak much Manx but I would rather see, and hear, it than not. Those who don't like it can always ignore it.

There's no point arguing about semantics either.

Archived