[BBC News] UN declares Manx Gaelic 'extinct'

Newsbot

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vel peiagh erbee geearee cur snaie noa er bun ayns Gaelg er Manx Forums?

Ta shen eie mie. Cha nel monney buill erbee ayn son screeu gaelg ayns yn internet. Jean eh, ghooinney!

S'mie lhaim unilang - agh t'eh beggan ro ard - as t'ad jus' loayrt mychione y çhengey - share lhiams loayrt mychione reddyn elley as s'cummey lhiam my ta mee jannoo marranyn. Vel oo cummal ayns Mannin ec y traa t'ayn? Nee ben, ny dooinney uss?

Ta shen eie mie. Cha nel monney buill erbee ayn son screeu gaelg ayns yn internet. Jean eh, ghooinney!

S'mie lhaim unilang - agh t'eh beggan ro ard - as t'ad jus' loayrt mychione y çhengey - share lhiams loayrt mychione reddyn elley as s'cummey lhiam my ta mee jannoo marranyn. Vel oo cummal ayns Mannin ec y traa t'ayn? Nee ben, ny dooinney uss?

Though I never thought he'd have tried it with a Gerbil.

UNESCO's classification wasn't intended as an attack on Manx (and Cornish which was also "declared" extinct). They were recognizing that it is not used in daily life which is a fact at present. There are native speakers who can speak the language. In some ways classifying the language as extinct may help generate more interest in the language. It is time that all primary school children on the Isle of Man learnt Manx just as is required in Ireland and Wales for Irish and Welsh. Even if you think that Manx is a waste of time, learning a language - whether that be Spanish, Manx or Clingon - is not a waste of time. If a child learns one second language very early on then learning others becomes much much easier.

Who'd have thought that the Manx word for Manx would be Manx.

You learn something new every day.....

The Manx words for 'Manx' are Manninagh and Manks. The Manx word for 'Manx Forums' is Manx Forums, just like the English for 'Creg ny Baa' is Creg ny Baa.

You really do learn something new every day.

a language is more than a collection of words - it is a way of seeing the world.

How very true, when I read that I realised that that is the very essence of it all. Klingon is just a code really, not a language that has developed to convey the changing speakers' emotions and knowledge.

Again it depends on UNESCO's definition. There are many dead languages that are read or spoken by a few, mainly academics, but just because a few have learnt to speak the language, mainly as an academic exercise, and the language is effecitvly dead.

Manx is a difficult one as in the strictest defintion it may not be dead or extinct. But neither would I describe it as living language. Yes there are some who speak it and keep it alive but as I have stated previously my view of a living language is one that you can automatically use most of the time and would do so not by choice but because you that is your "default" language.

In twenty years on the IoM I have never heard Manx being spoken in the general community. Although I accept that some who speak the language may meet in a pub and choose to use it, or in a Manx language school or at a particular event. But in all those cases it is about activly making a decision to use the language to a greater or lesser extent. I appreciate that we have people who speak Manx and are "fluent" and bilingual but do we have any whose natural first language and those of their parents is Manx. i.e both generations were brought up in Manx and they only learnt english at a later stage as a secondary language?

To me the point at which Manx becomes a living language is when there is a comunity who basically, think, read, write and speak language by default rather than they chosse it to be the language they wish to use. It also has to be used in the community in that as a manx speaker there is a reasonable expection and ability that you can conduct a large part of your life in the language. That is that Manx is spoken both in your social life amongst friends, but down the shops, in the bank, in the pub on basically an automatic basis as their is a reasonable expectation the individual you are conversing with will also speak Manx. Until we get to that point whilst a few may be activily taking the decision to keep the language alive I would not desribe it as a living language.

Unilang Gaelg is an open forum in and about Manx. There are also groups on facebook and skype - besides that there are homepages, blogs, and even a f Manx version of Wikipediap://gv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaelg"]wikipedia[/url]. You'd expect a bit better research from UNESCO, but to be fair the point of their Language Atlas is to highlight the importance of preserving all varieties humankind's greatest achievement - language. Vel peiagh erbee geearee cur snaie noa er bun ayns Gaelg er Manx Forums?

I respect your ideas on what defines a living language, and what defines a dead language. But, by your definition, Irish, Scottish/Canadian Gaelic, Greek, Thai, Dutch and almost all Scandinavian, North American, Austalian and New Zealand languages are dead, as are are many other languages locally during the tourist season, whenever a non-fluent speaker is present. English is the default language in most countries - and mighty handy it is to have a default language - even if it is, in its modern form, dull as ditch water (but at least easily understood by most). Just because I am communicating to you in English, or that Sandi Toksvig and Dara Ó Brian tell their jokes to you in English, or because Hu Edwards reads the news to you in English, it doesn't follow that Manx, Danish, Irish and Welsh are all dead.

Archived