[BBC News] UN declares Manx Gaelic 'extinct'

Newsbot

She - er lhiams nagh vel feme ain er aascreeu dy chioolley red ayns Baarle noadyr. Vel oo loayrt Gaelg dy mennick? S'doillee lhiam credjal yn aght ta çhengey elley cur anvea er sleih gyn veg agh Baarle. Loayrt dy firrinagh, shegin dooin cur forumyn aun hene er bun - agh s'treih lhiam gra cha nel fys aym er yn aght shen y yannoo.

Cha nee dy mennick ta mee loayrt sy Gaelg. Ta mee ass cliaghtey. Agh vel oo toiggal c'red ta mee gra?

Aye. Cha nel mee son aascreeu red erbee ayns baarle - cha nel fys oc cre ta shin gra ansherbee! Cha nel mee shickyr yn aght dy cur forum er bun noadyr.

Foddee heemayd my vees sym ec peigh erbee elley hoshiaght, er-nonney bee eh mish as uss taggloo eddyr ain-hene!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cha nee dy mennick ta mee loayrt sy Gaelg. Ta mee ass cliaghtey. Agh vel oo toiggal c'red ta mee gra?

Aye. Cha nel mee son aascreeu red erbee ayns baarle - cha nel fys oc cre ta shin gra ansherbee! Cha nel mee shickyr yn aght dy cur forum er bun noadyr.

Foddee heemayd my vees sym ec peigh erbee elley hoshiaght, er-nonney bee eh mish as uss taggloo eddyr ain-hene!

My leshtal ghooinney - ta mee er ve sy thie oast! Son shickyrys ta mee mee toiggal y Ghaelg ayd, she Gaelg braew yn Ghaelg ayds. Er lhiams dy beagh eh feeu goll rooin lesh yn 'coloayrtys' shoh rish kuse dy laaghyn as eisht heemayd my ta sym dy liooar ayn. Oie vie ghooinney.

My vees dy chooilley red goll dy mie ta artyn er ve ayns ny pabyryn naight mychione ny kiaulleyderyn t'er jeet dys Mannin veih Nerin as Nalbin as peesh mychione y cuirrey kiaull noght. Ta cooney mooar er ve currit da Feailley Ghaelgagh veih Conister Trust as ta'n co-lught shen cur yn aundyr Kione y Sker da peiagh t'er chur cooney mie mirrilagh da cooishyn Gaelgagh.

S

My vees dy chooilley red goll dy mie ta artyn er ve ayns ny pabyryn naight mychione ny kiaulleyderyn t'er jeet dys Mannin veih Nerin as Nalbin as peesh mychione y cuirrey kiaull noght. Ta cooney mooar er ve currit da Feailley Ghaelgagh veih Conister Trust as ta'n co-lught shen cur yn aundyr Kione y Sker da peiagh t'er chur cooney mie mirrilagh da cooishyn Gaelgagh.

S

Cre'n cuirrey kiaull va shen ghooinney?

Just a quick comment - a couple of people have mentioned Welsh above and seem to be likening Manx to it. This is completely not the case- welsh is a living language and there meny people in wales - especially the Lleyn peninsula and NorthWest Wales for whom Welsh is their mother tongue and, if they can even speak English (and there are some who can't) it is with difficulty. Welsh is definitely a 'living' language.

Just a quick comment - a couple of people have mentioned Welsh above and seem to be likening Manx to it. This is completely not the case- welsh is a living language and there meny people in wales - especially the Lleyn peninsula and NorthWest Wales for whom Welsh is their mother tongue and, if they can even speak English (and there are some who can't) it is with difficulty. Welsh is definitely a 'living' language.

Having lived on Anglesey I can second that.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Rogers should know better. It's a tad vulgar to whip this up into a nationalist issue in his classroom. Can it not be a positive thing that manx has been identified as in need of help. There might be grants available to assist in developing educational programmes as a result of being classed extinct. Which from what I can gather, does not mean 'dead'.

I also found it interesting that it states that Manx is not the first language of the pupils or that they are more comfertable speaking in English, as to me that does not appear to assist them if they want to get across that Manx is a living language.

If you review the Unesco's definitions there does not appear to be one which definitivly covers the position with regard to Manx, but I would tend to concur that it is presently "extinct" as a mother tongue. That mat not be true in a few generations time but presently as I understand it no matter how fluent anybody is in Manx they have basically all learned rather absorbed the language as a child.

Mr Rogers should know better. It's a tad vulgar to whip this up into a nationalist issue in his classroom. Can it not be a positive thing that manx has been identified as in need of help. There might be grants available to assist in developing educational programmes as a result of being classed extinct. Which from what I can gather, does not mean 'dead'.

I'd like to propose something for discussion (bad move anytime)

I'd like to propose that the Government use incentives to promote the Manx Language.

Whichever way they do it and here's one way and I'm sure that you could easily think of better ones, why not have tax incentives for this?

Basically, you could have a long list of sayings, phrases or words which is run similar to that like that of a theory test for your car license. Pass this and you get some type of tax incentive.

Do this every few years or less and those who wish to partake in it, would benefit them financially and also increase the usage of the language.

Ok, fire away but be gentle as I have tried............... :pinch:

Bless your cotton socks, Manxy. People would just do a bit of swotting up before the test, like i did in school, without really knowing what they're on about. I don't think it would encourage people to use the language at all.

Almost everyone is equipped with a few Manx phrases, but that hardly constitutes use of the language. It does my head in when companies use Manx as nothing more than an advertising tool. Is that what the language has been reduced to? The steam packet have the girls on the desk close their announcements on the tanoy with 'gurra mie eu as cair vie', but not one of them can pronounce it correctly!

As a matter of principle, I would be against any kind of financial incentive for learning or using Manx. That would be unfair and would, quite rightly, lead to a backlash against the language. The government does not spend much on the language - its survival is mostly down to the tireless efforts of enthusiasts and the goodwill of supporters. If you care about the language, the best thing to do is to learn it and use it, or at least encourage those who do.

Bless your cotton socks, Manxy. People would just do a bit of swotting up before the test, like i did in school, without really knowing what they're on about. I don't think it would encourage people to use the language at all.

Almost everyone is equipped with a few Manx phrases, but that hardly constitutes use of the language. It does my head in when companies use Manx as nothing more than an advertising tool. Is that what the language has been reduced to? The steam packet have the girls on the desk close their announcements on the tanoy with 'gurra mie eu as cair vie', but not one of them can pronounce it correctly!

Share ny veg. Some people only want to use a few phrases - nothing wrong with that is there?

Archived