[BBC News] UN declares Manx Gaelic 'extinct'

Newsbot

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to say that I am less concerned about the health of Manx Gaelic than I am about the state of Manx English. The Manx dialect of English seems to me to be dying out fast, and doesn't seem to be being passed on through the generations.

I thought the dialect had died out.

You do still here a few dialect words and phrases, usually from older people from old manx families, but they are becoming less common.

I can only think of skeet. And I know some people say 'slaa', it was mentioned on here but I have never come across the word.

You do still here a few dialect words and phrases, usually from older people from old manx families, but they are becoming less common.

I can only think of skeet. And I know some people say 'slaa', it was mentioned on here but I have never come across the word.

8. Some common terms in Manx

Fockle ayns Gaelg - A word in Manx

Yindyssagh - wonderful

Hee’m oo - See ya

Slen lhiat - Goodbye

moghrey mie - good morning

Fastyr mie - good afternnon

Oie vie - good night

Sound Clicky for above

More can be found at Manx pronunciation link

I also found it interesting that it states that Manx is not the first language of the pupils or that they are more comfertable speaking in English, as to me that does not appear to assist them if they want to get across that Manx is a living language.

If you review the Unesco's definitions there does not appear to be one which definitivly covers the position with regard to Manx, but I would tend to concur that it is presently "extinct" as a mother tongue. That mat not be true in a few generations time but presently as I understand it no matter how fluent anybody is in Manx they have basically all learned rather absorbed the language as a child.

I know of two Manx families in the last 15 years where both parents were fluent Manx speakers and brought their children up with Manx as their first language in the home (they also learned English). It all goes to pot when they start school though (except for those in the Bun Scoill).

But that is not the anglo-manx dialect Manxy. I have a book about the Anglo-Manx dialect and almost everything in there would not seem to be spoken today. It is a shame. But I am curious to know if there are ways of saying things or particular words that still survive other than skeet and slaa.

But that is not the anglo-manx dialect Manxy. I have a book about the Anglo-Manx dialect and almost everything in there would not seem to be spoken today. It is a shame. But I am curious to know if there are ways of saying things or particular words that still survive other than skeet and slaa.

Yes - I made a list of ones I heard often last year- no idea where I've put it, but 'murran' was one of them, and 'grig. If I find it I'll post it. Apart from words, I often hear the Gaelic sentence construction, such as 'there's a fine house at him'.

Vel peiagh erbee geearee cur snaie noa er bun ayns Gaelg er Manx Forums?

Ta shen eie mie. Cha nel monney buill erbee ayn son screeu gaelg ayns yn internet. Jean eh, ghooinney!

S'mie lhaim unilang - agh t'eh beggan ro ard - as t'ad jus' loayrt mychione y çhengey - share lhiams loayrt mychione reddyn elley as s'cummey lhiam my ta mee jannoo marranyn. Vel oo cummal ayns Mannin ec y traa t'ayn? Nee ben, ny dooinney uss?

Half past two.

Aye but loads are still in use - sometimes so often we forget the origins?

A few that friends and famlily use a lot:-

spiddag - someone/something small - as in, a little spiddag of a thing

drollaneys - someone a bit slow

chimlee - chimey

brabbag - a warm by the fire

And I bet there are loads more?

Although I am a stopover (originally from Liverpool), both my children were born and bred over here. Their Dad is 'proper' Manx (Grandparents and great Grandparents on both sides) and he regularly uses brabbag and chimlee, as do my offspring. Another one that they use is 'frikened'. I am not sure if that is a Manx thing or not, but I have never heard it used anywhere else other than over here.

Archived