[BBC News] School pupil TB case is confirmed

Newsbot

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder what Nationality the child is,have we imported the TB, from abroad, because I thought TB had been eradicated in th Island years ago

People do travel and go on holidays, and if you read this link it seems that TB is on the rise in certain part of the UK.

I wonder what Nationality the child is,have we imported the TB, from abroad, because I thought TB had been eradicated in th Island years ago

People do travel and go on holidays, and if you read this link it seems that TB is on the rise in certain part of the UK.

True however, tuberculosis is especially prevalent in sub-Saharan Africa and in Southeast Asia and is spreading in the UK and is often attributed to immigrants moving from those countries and increased immune deficiency from diseases such as HIV which makes people vulnerable to TB.

It would be interesting to know whether maxmann's zenophobia has any basis in fact in this situation.

Who knows? Speculating like that means that you'd make a very good BNP politician.

Holidays do exist and people can pick up all sorts of things from their trips. They can even pick things up from other people who've been on holidays to whatever exotic places you are hinting towards. Considering that TB exists in the UK, even a trip to the 'mainland' would do it.

Considering that TB exists in the UK, even a trip to the 'mainland' would do it.

Mainland? Are you on the Calf, or do you mean "another island"?

S

I think the poster could have been referring to either Ireland, Great Britain or Contintal Europe - all of which have experienced rises in reported cases of TB. The Island was the first place in the world to eradicate bovine TB, and one of the first to eradicate the human form too. A knew an old man, dead now, who spent most of his youth in the old sanitarium on Jurby Road. I hope the antibiotics available now remain effective.

Archived