[BBC News] DoT reveals ferry passenger rise

Newsbot

"Although 2009 will be "challenging", Mr Brew said the arrival of new fast craft in May would increase capacity and generate more traffic."

Presently, it would appear that fares in high season are set to ensure that demand never exceeds capacity (or not often). So if there is more capacity, the increase in supply should result in a fall in prices.

Good. But there's probably a flaw in that somewhere.

We can probably expect a statement like this in June:

Mr Woodward said: "Unfortunately, fares have had to rise to help pay for the higher cost of running more and bigger ferries, with attendant increases in fuel consumption and wages. However, the good news is that the journey time to Liverpool has been cut by five minutes."

And from the DTL in October:

"Unfortunately, tourism fell during the summer following the imposition of higher fares by the IOM Steam Packet Company."

And from Macquarie next year:

"We are pleased to report that the group has weathered the financial crisis thanks in large part to our wise decision to invest in essential monoploy services like the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company, where profits have risen year on year, in good times or bad."

And from the Minister:

"Er, what do you expect me to do about it?"

S

I seem to recall that one of the boasts that Mark Woodward made recently was that the IOMSPC had increased visitor numbers to the Island wth their services. I think that he may have been taking lessons from the Airport CEO. No doubt he feels equally 'reassured' to note a positive increase in the disimprovement of passenger numbers in 2008 compared with 2007 (despite the fact there was 1 extra day too!!!):

however the total number of passengers travelling in and out of the port in 2008 was 19,251 fewer than in 2007.

S. you were not at all convinced with my criticism of MW's dismissal of marketing strategies to fill the 60% unused capacity on the IOMSPC ships. I did a quick calculation. If the reduced winter services are say 20% of capacity and the Spring and Autumn services achieve the average 40% utilisation it means that summer sailing utilisation would be 60% (ie 40% empty). If the Summer is 70% full it means Spring and Autumn sailings are only about 35% full. If the Winter figure is better than 20% it reduces the capacity utilisation achieved in the other 3 seasons. This does not look like a good utilisation of capital equipment.

Based on this I still think that there is a huge amount that the IOMSPC and the DTL could do to promote and popularise the service - in part with pricing strategies and in part with advertising. Given the economic situation is going to get tougher over the next 3-5 years boosting tourism is something that could be done to maintain employment and revenues.

I have still not heard or seen any advertising for the Ireland - IOM services that start in about 6 weeks time (I may have missed them of course). If there haven't been advertisements how does the IOMSPC expect to get tourists to be aware of their service let alone decide to use it?

MM,

I wasn't dismissive of the logic of your arguments; it was just that in my opinion more needs to be done to promote the attractions of the island. Cheap fares may persuade residents to go off the island more, but they won't on their own attract tourists in. Tourists need both a reason to come, and a cheap way of doing so.

S

"however the total number of passengers travelling in and out of the port in 2008 was 19,251 fewer than in 2007"

Hmm .. I wonder in which direction all the one way passengers are going in?

Well, maybe some unmatched people go out in December for Christmas and don't come back till after New Year

MM,

I wasn't dismissive of the logic of your arguments; it was just that in my opinion more needs to be done to promote the attractions of the island. Cheap fares may persuade residents to go off the island more, but they won't on their own attract tourists in. Tourists need both a reason to come, and a cheap way of doing so.

S

Agree with that. Whilst the DTL needs to promote the Island as a destination the IOMSPC looks to have plenty of spare capacity to improve the travel element of the 'offer'. I see from his blog the MW is now focusing on the monopoly element of the service:

Whether we like it or not, the IoM is a natural monopoly in terms of shipping services because of its size – and we should stop trying to pretend otherwise.

Of course the UK end of the shipping service is not a monopoly which may explain in part why people are attracted to go elsewhere.

OMG, OMG...Marke Woodward used the 'reassuring' word when commenting on the 20,000 drop in passenger numbers last year. Found this on the Irish Sea Shipping website:

“I am delighted with these figures which provide some reassurance that, despite continued bad news in the wider economy and at a time when the Company is being subjected to increased scrutiny, passengers are continuing to take advantage of our very competitive fares.”

isn't it wonderful how people can mis-quote statements !

this

The arrival of the 96 metre fast craft Manannan in May 2009, with the increased capacity this offers should help to generate additional traffic and increase the number of special offer fares available.””

becomes this

Although 2009 will be "challenging", Mr Brew said the arrival of new fast craft in May would increase capacity and generate more traffic

isn't it wonderful how people can mis-quote statements !

this

The arrival of the 96 metre fast craft Manannan in May 2009, with the increased capacity this offers should help to generate additional traffic and increase the number of special offer fares available.””

becomes this

Although 2009 will be "challenging", Mr Brew said the arrival of new fast craft in May would increase capacity and generate more traffic

You can prove anything, even without statistics!

Manannan will only improve traffic figures if it is marketed correctly - it's no good expecting increases if you don't put a bit of effort into advertising, and giving promotional fares, etc....

Manannan will only improve traffic figures if it is marketed correctly - it's no good expecting increases if you don't put a bit of effort into advertising, and giving promotional fares, etc....

How about 'Kids go free'? Has a good tourism ring to it - or Parents go free?.

Incidentally what will happen to the names of the Manannan's Manannan Premier and Executive Lounges - will we have BMC Premier and Executive Lounges too? Snaefell Survival Lounge?

This is equivalent to saying "Buying bigger buses will make more people travel on public transport"

Archived