Where Can One Buy Soil?

Manxman27

I want to turn my pond in to a herb garden. Is there any where you can buy a decent amount of soil from? The garden centres only have small bags of top soil but would be very expensive for the amount I would need.

theres loads of top soil being lifted at the new footy/rugby pitches by hospital, island drainage doing the job worth having word with someone there.

You wont need as much as you think if you are just filling in a pond.

Remember you need to break the bottom of the pond up, chuck loads of hardcore in, and some gravel to help it drain.

But the time that is done, you will only need about a 12'' depth of soil or the whole lot will become a swap and drown any plants.

If your pond fills from the water table, you may just as well forget it, and build raised planters instead.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Builder Centre in Ramsey... do all sorts of soil and deliver.

Builders Centre said that they don't do it. But Ballanevin in St Johns do for £28 for a cubic metre of compost (a generous cubic metre apparently). They don't deliver but have a special with 4 Hire whereby if you tell them that you're wanting it for soil they will let you hire a truck or 4 hours for £25.

Archived