[BBC News] Bus workers in favour of strike

Newsbot

Lets face it lots of people are actually worried about losing their jobs. Bus drivers as long as you don't turn up for work pissed or do a bit of kiddy fiddling on the side its a job guaranteed for life with guaranteed pay increases and a good pension (guaranteed too). Its impossible to lose your job so what the *** are they complaining about? They're not going to be out on their arse if the economy turns are they? Bloody lucky if you ask me.

Are you envious or just stupid? What's wrong with people have steady, secure, well paid jobs with a decent pension?

As for 'impossible to lose your job' - the facts really don't support you on that one.

If you think bus drivers are bloody lucky, train up to be a bus driver and apply next time a job comes up - it's not exactly bus science.....

I think it is jealousy and a perception based on relative situations, I don't for a minute think that bus drivers have it really good.

I don't think people should be satisfied SIMPLY because their job is more secure. I think the bus drivers would be wanting more solidarity on their side rather than these bus drivers have solidarity with the unfortunate private workers by just doing nothing.

In any case, this is about working long hours in overtime and getting good pay for that. Don't see how this can be faulted.

In any case, this is about working long hours in overtime and getting good pay for that. Don't see how this can be faulted.

thay prob get time and half allready,

Maybe.... It would be easier to understand if we had an idea as to how long their workers are, how much overtime they are expected to do, and what they get paid for it.

thay prob get time and half allready,

Maybe.... It would be easier to understand if we had an idea as to how long their workers are, how much overtime they are expected to do, and what they get paid for it.

well maybe thay should lay it all out on the table for the public to see what all the fuss is about,

but im sure there well paid for over time as it is,

if thay dont like the rate, thay can leave, thay must have knowen what it was when thay joined to start with cant see the problem

but im sure there well paid for over time as it is,

if thay dont like the rate, thay can leave, thay must have knowen what it was when thay joined to start with cant see the problem

But I'd assume they were not informed of the overtime they were expected to do and the extra hours they are told they should be obliged to do. Besides I think you are discounting the bargaining positions of a prospective employee when he tries to find work.

Hence the advice "Never assume".

All bus operators work to a shift pattern, simply to keep the service going. Many shifts will be 10 hrs over an 18hr day or more. Often the working hours will be an average 40 hr week over 4 weeks. Although a 52 hr week would not be unusual on 3 of those weeks. Over time would not be obligatory BUT hours to "meet the needs of the service" are not unusual. So, they would be fully aware of the hours expected and necessary in the job.

Hence the advice "Never assume".

All bus operators work to a shift pattern, simply to keep the service going. Many shifts will be 10 hrs over an 18hr day or more. Often the working hours will be an average 40 hr week over 4 weeks. Although a 52 hr week would not be unusual on 3 of those weeks. Over time would not be obligatory BUT hours to "meet the needs of the service" are not unusual. So, they would be fully aware of the hours expected and necessary in the job.

I am not trying to be a pedant for the sake of it but how much is "meet the needs of the service"? Clearly overtime is the main issue here, not the standard hours of work. Precise hours of overtime are never given to prospective employees, it would not be overtime if it were precise and regular.

Precisely, it's not actually over time until it's more than stated hours in a contract of employment. If hours aren't stated as being any absolute amount it can't be called overtime.

In Social Services it said, "to the exigencies of the service", basically whatever the job needs to get done. Any 'overtime' is by way of extra shifts to cover for staff shortages. Only rarely would you work any 'specials' or private hire shifts. Hours of work are covered in legislation for bus drivers, so there's a limit to the amount of 'extras hours' that can be worked.

Archived