Regeneration: An Iomtoday Special Report

slinkydevil

"Tynwald has approved an ambitious regeneration scheme for the Island's run down towns and villages.

iomtoday looks to St Peter Port in Guernsey to see what could be achieved – and takes a look at the plans for Douglas's proposed make-over. "

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Regeneratio...port.5006579.jp

About time they invested some money in the Douglas and not other towns - Ramsey have the pier to look at after all. ;)

Seriously though is this the time to be investing in making the Retail sector look nice or will we be on an upward trend by the time this gets off the ground?

[Regeneration is not something that tends to happen in a recession. You regenerate when you have surplus cash to splash about to boost failing areas of an otherwise successful economy. Douglas is a sad dump of a town and I'm happy to say that because I grew up there, and I'd much rather money be spent keeping people in jobs and helping businessess to come through difficult times than tart up a dead town just so politicians can tick a box.

What happened to Douglas 2000 and all the other initiatives that we have wasted money on over the years? Millions spent and all we ended up with were blue railings and a few big blue plastic flower tubs. We should be looking at why these initiatives failed rather than how we might want to replicate them.

Archived