Turkish Airlines Crash In Amsterdam

Stavros

SKY NEWS

A Turkish Airlines plane has crashed while trying to land at Amsterdam's Schipol airport.

The aircraft, carrying 135 passengers, split into three parts when it hit the ground next to the runway.

The plane is thought to be a Boeing 737-800.

All air traffic in the area has been suspended.

As many as 50 people are thought to have escaped injury, according to reports.

Is is me or are do there seem to have been more aircraft emergencies than usual this year?

There have been a few, fortunatly the ones i've heard of have been survivable, pretty cool how they seem to be building planes that can do that.

Is is me or are do there seem to have been more aircraft emergencies than usual this year?

I think it's you - and 24 hour news channels. There's an average of 57 people killed each month in aircrashes (last time I researched it). Though when times are hard and maintenance budgets tight it tends to creep up.

Though when times are hard and maintenance budgets tight it tends to creep up.

And the ground, don't forget when the ground is hard too!

From the news report I read, the ground where that plane came down was soft, otherwise there would have been a lot more dead.

There have been a few, fortunatly the ones i've heard of have been survivable, pretty cool how they seem to be building planes that can do that.

Very true. We here far more stories about plane crashes where people survive nowadays. 20 years ago surviving an airplane crash was pretty much unthinkable.

I read recently (can't remember the source) that between 1991 and 2001 some 55,000 Americans were involved in plane crashes and from that number roughly 54,600 survived. That stat doesn't say much about the likelyhood of planes crashing but it does show that in a plane crash death isn't a certainty. Nowadays it makes sense to read the safety and evacuation instructions on the planes whereas in the past there was little point as you'd die before you had chance to put on your lifevest, find the nearest exit and throw out the emergency door over the wings.

Archived