Douglas Apocalypse

Max Power

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been trying to find out the equivalent in kilotons if a gas tank like those in Douglas went up...

Energy security

Liquefied energy gases.

liquefied natural and petroleum gases (LNG and LPG) are increasingly common items of commerce. A modem marine LNG tanker contains, at -260°F, enough gas to form a flammable gas-air mixture several hundred times the volume of the Great Pyramid of Cheops. Spilled LNG boils into gas so cold that it remains heavier than air. The plume can drift along the ground for miles before it ignites in a conflagration like a hundred Hindenbergs. Radiant heat from such a fire would cause third-degree bums and start fires a mile or two away. [...]

LNG is shipped by marine tanker into terminals, one of which is in Boston Harbor. Each terminal contains several LNG tanks, each equivalent in energy content to over half a megaton. The U.S. has about 50 additional LNG storage depots above ground, each equivalent to more than 130 kilotons. LNG is also delivered by trucks, each with a quarter kiloton of energy content, routinely traveling over key bridges. and through urban centers. Under suitable circumstances, one LNG truck falling off of Boston’s Southeast Expressway could fill with flammable air-gas mixture the entire Boston subway system, or the city’s major tunnels, or enough of the sewer system to blow up virtually every street in the city. LPG is shipped by marine tanker, high-pressure pipeline, ail, and ubiquitous trucks. Each LPG railcar contains energy equivalent to about three-fourths of a kiloton, releasable in a violent fuel-air explosion that can hurl large shrapnel and cause second-degree bums by radiation up to a mile away.

AFAIK the Hiroshima explosion was 15 Kilotons

LNG is shipped by marine tanker into terminals, one of which is in Boston Harbor. Each terminal contains several LNG tanks, each equivalent in energy content to over half a megaton.

Bostons only ever so slightly larger than Douglas - haven't seen many super tankers docking lately.

LNG is Bostons only ever so slightly larger than Douglas - haven't seen many super tankers docking lately.

Strangely, I was aware of that fact. I was trying to find some kind of information as to the kiloton equivalent should one tank explode. In my foolishness I though that this sentence...

Each terminal contains several LNG tanks, each equivalent in energy content to over half a megaton.

...might be relevant. Thanks for putting me right.

I'm in Onchan.. am i safe....?

:weee:

Your forgeting the tsunami that would emminate from the other side of the bay, 'what with the atomic explosion and all that'.

I'm in Onchan.. am i safe....?

:weee:

Frankly no! You have hoardes of alcopop swilling hooligans patrolling the streets and fighting with allcomers. Move to Ramsey!

Think i will take over the running of the cafe , up the top of that hill/mountain !!! :rolleyes:

You make it sound like Green Street, only thing missing is the football.

LNG is Bostons only ever so slightly larger than Douglas

Strangely, I was aware of that fact. I was trying to find some kind of information as to the kiloton equivalent should one tank explode. In my foolishness I though that this sentence...

Each terminal contains several LNG tanks, each equivalent in energy content to over half a megaton.

...might be relevant. Thanks for putting me right.

I see. would all that energy be released at once?

had a look at Bleve, where they had a pretty big incident - http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1260604/seoul_bleve/

edit - I've not got sound here so you'll have to tell me what they say. pretty big fire ball though however it seems thats exactly what it is - a fireball as opposed to a violent explosion that you would get from a nuclear blast - no where near the same shockwave. good compaison might be

- only half a kiloton of TNT compared to that gas tanker which supposedly has 62 kilotons of energy stored or around 2,600,000,000,000,000 joules.

Someone told me that if I was foolish enough to plumb in a gas hob whilst not being a Corgi member, it would almost certainly explode and release energy equivalent to a star collapsing in on itself after reaching the end of it's useful life. He did have a pair of underpants over his head though so it was quite hard to take him seriously.

Archived