Move To Man ?

islandwoman

But you really cannot compare the IOM to a town with a similar population as the town does not have a finite catchment area; people move from town to town to enjoy facilities, whereas here we are bound by water which makes that difficult.

All that is true. Which is why there are fewer decent shops on the island and the prices of goods in the shops are generally higher and you have less choice. If you live on a place like the IOM then this will always be the case.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have spotted a niche in the market it might be worth asking why no-one else has - if for example you are in upmarket tourist material then Douglas doesn't see the high spending American OAPs cruise ships that seemed on my visits to the Orkney + Shetland at least, to provide a regular income stream. I can't recall seeing any obvious shop on either of those places that didn't have a Manx counterpart though there were more upmarket knitwear shops for example in Kirkwall, not so sure re Lerwick however. For both these Island groups the nearest city shopping is Aberdeen which is quite a distance and time (eg overnight boat) away whereas the Island during summer at least has easy day shopping access via ferry to that capital of scouse culture Liverpool.

Apologies for chopping. I disagree with these statements in bold. Of course it depends on what you like to buy which is why it is a rubbish generalisation to say that 1) shops are poor compared to medium sized towns. The whole of the Island is far from the size of a 'medium' UK town.

and 2) prices are a rip off. All the things I want to buy here are priced fine.

I'm thinking about places such as Wigan( pop 80,000) , Chorley (pop 41,000) , Bolton (pop 73,000), Birkenhead (pop 84,000) and especially Southport (pop 90,000) which I would think should be fairly comparable to Douglas/IOM. They all have a much greater range of shops/restaurants and the prices of items in those shops (especially large consumer goods - electrical goods and furniture) are significantly cheaper.

Also they all have supermarkets such as Asda, Morrisons, etc which have a much larger range of goods than is stocked in any supermarket on the island and generally sell clothes as well, at prices far lower than anything you will see over here.

Not only that - if you live in any of these towns, you can jump in a car and, within half an hour you can be in a big city where the range of shops is even bigger. If you want to do that in the island you need to take the ferry, which is not convenient time- or cost-wise.

Jim

I dont understand, if you have chose to live on a small island, why are you expecting lots of big shops?

i think it would be polite of me to suggest that you should think about removing yourself from this Island.

Jim

I dont understand, if you have chose to live on a small island, why are you expecting lots of big shops?

i think it would be polite of me to suggest that you should think about removing yourself from this Island.

'Boat in the morning'?

FFS - if you read everything I wrote above you will see that I like living here. Yes the shopping (and some other things) are a drawback but the positives outweigh the negatives which is why I'm still here.

Islandwoman, in her original post, asked about the range of shopping and I told her straight. I forgot to mention the over-touchy manxies who jump down your throat if they think you are criticising any aspect of God's Own Island. :rolleyes:

Well thanks for all the helpful,interesting replies,everyone. Having lived on islands for all of my adult life, I am used to and can cope with limited shopping facilites, tardy links to the mainland and slightly higher shopping prices so could cope with what Man has to offer. I understand you have a theatre as well, you lucky Bunnies ? As to why no-one else has had this business idea - well, no one here had either and we went into profit, employing myself and 4 part time staff after 6 months of trading and we have a much smaller population/tourist base than yourselves so I am hopeful you would like what we have to offer.I am quite interested in the new development one of the forum mentioned. Anyone else got any views on this ? My concern is that Douglas would still be the main shopping venue whatever and my business would definitely benefit from passing trade.O and what is your main food outlet ? If it's the Co-Op, think will quietly open a main vein and give up the ghost right now...

God forbid anyone should disagree with your opinion.

I don't mind people disagreeing with me (although Spermann and Gladys didn't seem to disagree that shopping is better/more varied/cheaper across) - it's the

'i think it would be polite of me to suggest that you should think about removing yourself from this Island
.' (translation "F**K off if you don't like it") I take objection to.

There is a co-op - actually had a facelift and considerable improvement in last few months but I fully understand your comments though the Coops on the Scottish islands did provide a reasonable range in the smallest of outlets (tho that at Stromness was excellent though for examplr that in the much smaller Brae in Shetland was much more limited but better than our smaller co-ops) - Tesco's dominate with local 'Manx' Shoprite next (large outlets in major towns)

Now you see why MF is notorious.

Tesco isn't the main shopping store. There is only one on the island, the main store would be shoprite, there's at least one in every town, a cheaper version of somerfield. There are co-ops, small convenience versions mainly that open late and are good for emergency buying and topping up your meter.

Douglas has most footfall, but it is only passing trade and the shops are not really serious shops altogether. True, that's where the likes of Boots, Woolworths (closed) and M&S have their only outlets but there's also a lot of crap shops, Poundstorer, Moochers, Sure telecom, TKMaxx.

Try Ramsey, nearly all independant traders, loads of speciality shops and easier, free, parking. You can BUY a shop in the main street for 150k with accommodation . Rental around 7 -900 a month is usual. Unlike Douglas it has two shoprites, two co-ops, many small workshops that can accommodate all your needs. It also has that 'island' feeling about it, not being a huge urban sprawl. Easy access to the reat of the island with it's own shipping company and commercial docks, cheaper than the Steam Packet for importing goods. A train station within 100yds of the main shopping street.

If you like the sea, a 4 mile sand beach to the south of the pier and another 5 miles to the north of the harbour. Views of the mountain and hills and a nature reserve 5 miles away. Less crime than Douglas and a friendly population, a bit more elderly than the capital but with more disposable income.

Come to Ramsey, you'll not be sorry.

Archived