Move To Man ?

islandwoman

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cute train/tram wotsit ! Do most tourists use accomadation around Douglas ? And how often do locals/ tourists travel to Ramsay for shopping purposes ? Must say it sounds my sort of place tho won't need a mobility scooter just yet... Are your air links quite reliable ? Or does poor weather adversely and frequently affect them ? There is a decent link to Glasgow with Flybe and then onwards to home . I would intend to live between both places for at least the first year.

It's doubtful you'll see that tram in Ramsey.

It's also doubtful that I'll see any other tram in Ramsey. My t'other side of island stamps are out of date and they'll not let me back until I get it updated. Then I can't be arsed with packing a lunch and having a day trip 'n all. Been there, done that....

This place is a joke...I can't wait until my house is finished so I can sell it and get the hell away from this miserable place.....there is feck all to do for families, it is pitiful! Unless you are a sports jock, rambler or piss head you are going to be bored shitless...a safe place to bring kids up may well be the case but I would much rather my kids take risks and live well, education is average and the reality of being wealthier financially is a mirage when contrasted to the feeling of happiness. Local businesses are taking the piss, usual mark ups of 150% are the norm so it's no wonder people use the internet to shop, nobody minds anyone making an honest profit but the frofit margin for a lot of local business is astronomical. Yes, I agree that there are awful places to live in the UK but these are often thrust in our faces more than the fantastic places in the UK to live. That's my two penneth's worth! And yes I know there's a boat in the morning and I'm doing my best to be on it.

This place is a joke...I can't wait until my house is finished so I can sell it and get the hell away from this miserable place.....there is feck all to do for families, it is pitiful! Unless you are a sports jock, rambler or piss head you are going to be bored shitless...a safe place to bring kids up may well be the case but I would much rather my kids take risks and live well, education is average and the reality of being wealthier financially is a mirage when contrasted to the feeling of happiness. Local businesses are taking the piss, usual mark ups of 150% are the norm so it's no wonder people use the internet to shop, nobody minds anyone making an honest profit but the frofit margin for a lot of local business is astronomical. Yes, I agree that there are awful places to live in the UK but these are often thrust in our faces more than the fantastic places in the UK to live. That's my two penneth's worth! And yes I know there's a boat in the morning and I'm doing my best to be on it.

So where are these 'fantastic' places to live then?

Lake district, North Yorkshire, Devon, Cornwall, Cotswolds, New Forest, the list is endless......possibly too classy for cheesypeas, cheesybeans yes, but cheesybeans, a definite no!

So where are these 'fantastic' places to live then?

The only thing that I have found to be more expensive is food.

There's usually a 10 to 15% mark up on fruit and veg compared to the UK.

Supermarket meat has a 15 to 20 % or moremark up compared to UK.

I buy local veg whenever I can (better than the supermarket). I am happy to pay the premium for the veg/fruit ( they have to be shipped in anyways)

Local meat from the butchers ( more expensive than the supermarket meat from across)tastes better

The electronics/gadgets shops in the IOM is a rip off though. But you can order almost anything you want off the internet anyway.

There is a KFC and a Mc Donalds now. Prices a re a bit more expensive than the UK. ( For example a 99p item across will be around £1.04 here). Well that was the price 6 months ago anyway ;-)

Not much in the way of movies and shows but the internet 'solves' ;) that problem anyway.

Travel to and from the island is much more expensive compared to islands like Jersey etc So you might need to factor that into your business. Its better not to depend on a single airline since they either tend to get bankrupt/cancel routes/stop flying to the IOM whenever they want..

Archived