Move To Man ?

islandwoman

awwww bless, he is still upset after the hammering the DOT took in a past thred.

I liked the way he compared keyboarder to a snowboarder or skateboarder, it shows he has done his research and knows the forums folk well.

Back on topic, I have spent some time up at Benbecula/south Uist and loved the place. The Co-op/Low flyer and the Creagory were the big players in town :P

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only thing that I have found to be more expensive is food.

Only food?

The electronics/gadgets shops in the IOM is a rip off though.

Ok, food and eletronics.

Travel to and from the island is much more expensive compared to islands like Jersey

Ok, food and electronics and travel.

Only food?

The electronics/gadgets shops in the IOM is a rip off though.

Ok, food and eletronics.

Travel to and from the island is much more expensive compared to islands like Jersey

Ok, food and electronics and travel.

:blush::blush::blush::rolleyes: . OK. Food, electronics and travel. But almost all the electronic stuff can be ordered off the internet anyway. I am not a frequent traveller. So the only thing that affects me is food.

Illicit drugs are more expensive as well. I think the SPC must charge premium freight on those.

I think that's because suppliers are factoring in the higher tariff imposed by Moyley. A fine across translates to 6 months inside over here.

It's risk versus reward again.

S

God forbid anyone should disagree with your opinion.

I don't mind people disagreeing with me (although Spermann and Gladys didn't seem to disagree that shopping is better/more varied/cheaper across) - it's the

'i think it would be polite of me to suggest that you should think about removing yourself from this Island
.' (translation "F**K off if you don't like it") I take objection to.

I wasn't disagreeing with you Jim, in fact I was trying to reiterate your point even more. It is all very well to compare the size of the island with UK local town council districts for political purposes (the arguments for and against the many local councils we have here) as the population for those purposes is fixed to the location - i.e. the residents. However, comparing our shopping and other facilities with those in similar population sized areas in the UK will always make us look poor because although the population of a town may be similar the actual catchment area is likely to be much greater.

Not nitpicking, just pointing something out about comparing like with like.

Thanks for all the constructive answers to my questions and particular appreciation goes to the folks who PM'd with useful ideas. From my perspective as a producer/retailer on a small island, having to charge top dollar for products is a harsh reality for mainly 2 reasons. 1)Islands always attract high surcharges from suppliers for bulk carriage- a case in point is a new table of charges received yesterday from my main supplier who before was carriage free on orders over £350. It is now £23 for the 1st box, rising to £86 for 10 boxes, regardless of size (determined by the companies packers !) or spend and it will prove impossible for me to absorb all of those costs. So the price of my finished product will need to rise with immediate effect. 2) as far as white goods go- to get the sort of discount one sees in mainland stores , the owner of the outlet needs to reguarly buy in huge quantities ( done by the mother company and then distributed to its nationwide stores)- a place like Man or Shetland or the Scillies couldn't possibly achieve the criteria needed to fulfill the turnover requirements of giant companies, so if they exist on islands at all , they are usually more expensive than their mainland equivalents. The advent of Amazon and the like has helped the shopper obtain purchasing parity for some smaller items that won't carry high carriage costs but has not helped the independent retailer,who does not have this massive buying power and consequently loses out on more sales. On the other hand, people do seem to enjoy buying locally produced products and the good, more intimate service hopefully offered by these independent outlets,so it's not all doom and gloom for the small retailers.Man sounds an interesting and beautiful island with many plus points and I shall certainly continue with my research to live and work there. I fear cheeseybeef or whoever may be kidding themeselves with his/her opinion of Cornwall etc.- if they like wall to wall Argos, Next , Burger King etc, expensive housing, jam packed roads, a higher crime rate,higher taxes, poor public transport to cover a comparitively spread-out population , poor road links to the rest of the country and the lowest wages in the UK then they are going to reach their Utopia.It's a great county to be rich in .....

", Next , Burger King etc, expensive housing, jam packed roads, a higher crime rate,higher taxes, poor public transport to cover a comparitively spread-out population , poor road links to the rest of the country and the lowest wages in the UK then they are going to reach their Utopia.It's a great county to be rich in ....."

Next-1

BK-0

Expensive Housing-plenty

Jam packed roads-no

Higher crime rate-no

Higher taxes- definitely not

Poor public transport-average

Poor road links to rest of country-it's only 30mls long FFS

Low wages-higher minimum wage than UK

It's still a great country to be rich in though.

Archived