Move To Man ?

islandwoman

FYI....houses in the a lot of the places I mentioned are actually a hell of a lot cheaper, and in Shropshire a 4 bedroomed house with stables and a couple of acres goes for the same price as a one bedroomed flat here, so up yer arse!! Not all roads are jam packed it depends what roads you use and at what times. Crime rates are high in certain areas of the UK but there are an awful lot of places where the crime rate is lower than the sterile Isle of Man. You are correct about tyhe taxes though...having said that, it's not utopia I'm looking for, merely some place a bit more exciting and varied than this feckin rock......this Island is going tits up quicker than dolloy paton falling on her arse....you'll all be back eating tatties and herring and having sex with your family members...history turning full circle again :lol:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back on topic, I have spent some time up at Benbecula/south Uist and loved the place. The Co-op/Low flyer and the Creagory were the big players in town :P

You're just the person I'm looking for! I don't know anyone who has even been to Benbecula and a family member has applied for a traditional music course at Lews College, but is worried that Benbecula is devoid of life. Do you know anything about the college or pubs/music sessions - or what's there for young people generally? What did you love about the place?

", Next , Burger King etc, expensive housing, jam packed roads, a higher crime rate,higher taxes, poor public transport to cover a comparitively spread-out population , poor road links to the rest of the country and the lowest wages in the UK then they are going to reach their Utopia.It's a great county to be rich in ....."

Next-1

BK-0

Expensive Housing-plenty

Jam packed roads-no

Higher crime rate-no

Higher taxes- definitely not

Poor public transport-average

Poor road links to rest of country-it's only 30mls long FFS

Low wages-higher minimum wage than UK

It's still a great country to be rich in though.

Just to make it clear I was referring to the county of Cornwall, not Man in the above quote. Jehovah has quite rightly pointed out what are for me the positive differences between the 2 places. I also agree that island living is not for everyone, just as mainland life is not a lifestyle choice a lot of island dwellers would willingly make. But I do wonder why when a move to an island doesn't work out, the disappointed then become insultingly vitriolic about the people who choose to stay ? It's something I've observed on the other islands I've stayed on and don't understand . Surely the mature attitude would be to put it down to experience, and happily move on ? Surely one can't blame other folk for a lifestyle chioce you made that didn't work out as you'd imagined ?

What did you love about the place?

a few years ago I spent some time at the bottom end of South Uist - the old one-way spline road (since widened I hear) was a right pain to get anywhere - very little going on there as many houses isolated but some very few hotels cateriung for birdwatchers etc - flat maacha (sand) one side, boggy hills on other but with stunning views ; also local caugh shell fish etc.

S. Uist and Benbeculla are Roman cathoic outposts (Knox never reached them!) so quite jolly and hospitable places - as you get across the causeway into North Uist you are into calvinist country - Everything shuts on Sunday! - Benbeculla appeared to me to me a slightly upmarket army town (it was built to house the staff at the local rocket range since downrated (?closed by now) and sold off to Qineqic (or similar name) - there didn't appear much live in the times we passed through it but of course living in a place is quite different.

It always puzzles me, the different outlooks of 'comeovers' / 'stopovers' / and the indigenous Manx-born who have never lived anywhere else (because of family, work, choice or other), and Stu if course who is now 'Manx' by declaration !. Years ago (many years ago !) I was asked by a newcomer how long I had been living here, as if it was recently an uninhabited rock until the English (and the rest of the world) discovered it and started to colonise it.

I sometimes wondered if I were going to move to England would I log into an englandforum and say "hi, I'm moving over, any tips on where to live, what the shops are like, cinemas, theatre, schools etc. ?" what the response would be. Would I live in the south with the warmer climate but high property costs, or in the Lakes for the scenery or elsewhere for cheap housing and low poll tax or whatever they call it now.

.... but, there again, is England (or the UK) what it was, the rest of the world seems to want to live there and live off the state handouts but seem to be trying to turn it into the slums of the world they left behind, does England still exist other than on the front of a chocolate box, short trips 'across' don't give you a chance to get the real feel of the place and the undercurrents etc., and what you read in the papers and on tv is only what they want you to hear.

It would appear that if you sold up here you could buy a very nice property 'over there' and have a huge wad of notes left over to retire on

.....but ...maybe I'll just stay where I am then.... :unsure::whatever:

Back on topic, I have spent some time up at Benbecula/south Uist and loved the place. The Co-op/Low flyer and the Creagory were the big players in town :P

You're just the person I'm looking for! I don't know anyone who has even been to Benbecula and a family member has applied for a traditional music course at Lews College, but is worried that Benbecula is devoid of life. Do you know anything about the college or pubs/music sessions - or what's there for young people generally? What did you love about the place?

Devoid of life is a bit harsh, its certainly quiet but there are still plenty of things to do and there is a great community spirit. Music plays a big part in peoples lives up there, the Dark Island was a good haunt for us and had events most nights, if we were not in there we were in the creagory which was a proper yokel bar. We used to go up once a year to use the missile ranges up there, they are still active but only in an admin capacity as far as i can remember. The Army camp next to the airport allows civvies in to use the facilities including sports hall, gym and naffi bar.

It is only the same as say moving from one part of England to another that you do not know much about. Most folks would check out the area before commiting themselves into buying a house, good schools, nice place to live (there are a few left over here honest!!), make sure you aint buying near a nasty council estate etc. It is not exclusive to people moving to the IOM!!

Nothing wrong with council estates. There are areas of social depravation and upheaval OK, but they're not all council estates.

I'd rather live on any estate than fucking governors hill anyway, on an estate the coke arrives by lorry, not BMW.

Archived