Move To Man ?

islandwoman

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She ellan aalin t'ayn, myr dooyrt Sebrof. Cha nel monney sleih cummal ayns shen agh, son shickyrys, t'ad feer chaarjoilagh.

S'mie lhiam yn phosts ayd ayns Gaelg! (Agh hug ad corree er Slim!)

is there anyware on island i can learn this

I think it's something like this:

It is a beautiful island Sebrof. Not without cause do the people who live there feel secure. That was Freggyragh, but I'm not convinced about my interpretation, lol,lol......... ; )

It's good for you to post in Manks! (Especially as it pisses off Slim!) That was Snaipyr, who is obviously a lot less fluent than Freggyragh. ; ))

Jim

I dont understand, if you have chose to live on a small island, why are you expecting lots of big shops?

i think it would be polite of me to suggest that you should think about removing yourself from this Island.

'Boat in the morning'?

FFS - if you read everything I wrote above you will see that I like living here. Yes the shopping (and some other things) are a drawback but the positives outweigh the negatives which is why I'm still here.

Islandwoman, in her original post, asked about the range of shopping and I told her straight. I forgot to mention the over-touchy manxies who jump down your throat if they think you are criticising any aspect of God's Own Island. :rolleyes:

It is God`s own Island - if the God in question is Manannan.

She ellan aalin t'ayn, myr dooyrt Sebrof. Cha nel monney sleih cummal ayns shen agh, son shickyrys, t'ad feer chaarjoilagh.

S'mie lhiam yn phosts ayd ayns Gaelg! (Agh hug ad corree er Slim!)

is there anyware on island i can learn this

Contact Adrian Cain at Greinneyder@mhf.org.im. He organises classes and produces the Manx Newsletter:

http://www.learnmanx.com

It's good for you to post in Manks! (Especially as it pisses off Slim!) That was Snaipyr, who is obviously a lot less fluent than Freggyragh. ; ))

Doesn't piss me off at all :)

My daughters very good at Manx, she does it at Ballakermeen. Often phone her up when I'm out walking asking what something means.

My daughters very good at Manx, she does it at Ballakermeen. Often phone her up when I'm out walking asking what something means.

I don't envy her the task. I have a natural aptitude for languages and can speak several. I've had a little look at Manks and can understand a very small number of words. But I believe that to learn a language to a useful degree, one has to, if only for a short time, totally immerse themselves in a culture where every social interaction is conducted in that tongue. Who hasn't visited eg France to find that their school taught eg French is all but useless? I have never encountered anything other than English to a meaningful extent on the Isle of Man. Although this is probably improving.

Don't believe Keyboarder!! My comment actually said 'I like your post in Manx, but it made Slim angry!

Don't believe Keyboarder!! My comment actually said 'I like your post in Manx, but it made Slim angry!

And I wouldn't go along with any gratuitous attack on Slim either. I happen to agree with Sebrof on more than a few subjects, but I respect and like character of Slim, even if I sometimes disagree with him.

Uuh, apart from a slipped tense, that's pretty much what I wrote? I'm patting myself on the back actually, I already have a finer grasp of Manks than the majority of Manx people.......... lol,lol.... ; )) And I've only had a superficial glance at it! I might just learn it - just to rattle the xenophobes you know..... ; )

And I wouldn't go along with any gratuitous attack on Slim either. I happen to agree with Sebrof on more than a few subjects, but I respect and like character of Slim, even if I sometimes disagree with him.

I like disagreeing with me, it's a dull forum where everyone has the same opinion. Sebrof's my current bestest favorite poster!

Keyboarder, your right about her studies. We did agonize a bit over it, she had to pick between German and Manx when she moved to high school. Having already done two years of Manx at primary voluntarily and obviously she enjoyed it so we said she could carry on, but lots of people advised against it, saying it was useless and a dead language. But she likes it, and appears to be good at it, I reckon that's important.

As a kid it must be brilliant to have a largely secret language you can use with your friends or brothers and sisters, which mum and dad and mostb teachers cant understand and pretty much no one off the island !

Really cool ! :cool:

Archived