Mutiny In Bangladesh

La_Dolce_Vita

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7912392.stm

I wonder if there will be any foreign intervention if it gets worse. I know Britain doesn't have the same East of Suez obligations as it did in the 1960s when it came the aid of Tanganyika, Kenya, and Uganda in ending mutinies there, but I wonder whether Bangaldesh will ask for aid.

I think the soldiers are doing the right thing. There are problems with pay and conditions and they are rightly occupying areas to gain leverage over the government. If the government wants to use force against these mutineers by sending in regular troops then expect fighting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7912392.stm

I wonder if there will be any foreign intervention if it gets worse. I know Britain doesn't have the same East of Suez obligations as it did in the 1960s when it came the aid of Tanganyika, Kenya, and Uganda in ending mutinies there, but I wonder whether Bangaldesh will ask for aid.

I think the soldiers are doing the right thing. There are problems with pay and conditions and they are rightly occupying areas to gain leverage over the government. If the government wants to use force against these mutineers by sending in regular troops then expect fighting.

Those were fun times. We had a machine gun post set up in our drive, and down in Tanganiyika HMS Bulwark sailed into Msasani Bay with three feet under her keel. Impressed the locals no end, and the mutineers fled.

I'm surprised you know about this little piece of forgotten local history, LDV. Part of your course, or did you google mutinies?

S

Those were fun times. We had a machine gun post set up in our drive, and down in Tanganiyika HMS Bulwark sailed into Msasani Bay with three feet under her keel. Impressed the locals no end, and the mutineers fled.

I'm surprised you know about this little piece of forgotten local history, LDV. Part of your course, or did you google mutinies?

S

I was thinking of doing a dissertation on it, viz., about whether East of Suez policy was vindicated by the suppression of East African mutinies. Find the East of Suez policy period very interesting, especially in its similarities with what Britain intends to do with its fleet now.

Where were you? Dar es Salaam or near the barracks (forgotten their name, Colito?).

To me this looks a lot more sordid than a pay and conditions dispute. 140 officers massacred etc - great way to get a pay increase - NOT.

Well now they won't be doing the appraisals it might not be all bad news. All that will be left for HR is the attendance records...

S

I was thinking of doing a dissertation on it, viz., about whether East of Suez policy was vindicated by the suppression of East African mutinies. Find the East of Suez policy period very interesting, especially in its similarities with what Britain intends to do with its fleet now.

Where were you? Dar es Salaam or near the barracks (forgotten their name, Colito?).

At the time I was a lad in Kenya. Much later I lived for a time in Dar, overlooking the said Msasani Bay. I don't recall there was much serious military action in Kenya. The mere appearance of British forces was sufficient to persuade the mutineers to see things differently. A handful of soldiers were killed in Dar.

S

I was thinking of doing a dissertation on it, viz., about whether East of Suez policy was vindicated by the suppression of East African mutinies.

I should have thought that the EA mutinies were a pretty insignificant episode in the whole EoS policy. But I suppose that since the three countries involved are still democracies of a sort today means that there was a beneficial effect, even though the beneficiaries were not, in the main, British.

S

I was thinking of doing a dissertation on it, viz., about whether East of Suez policy was vindicated by the suppression of East African mutinies.

I should have thought that the EA mutinies were a pretty insignificant episode in the whole EoS policy. But I suppose that since the three countries involved are still democracies of a sort today means that there was a beneficial effect, even though the beneficiaries were not, in the main, British.

S

It wasn't one of the biggest operations or the most important the Navy undertook during the 1960s especially when compared to Sarawak, Kuwait or Oman but the use of the commanda carriers in that role was exactly what had been planned for them. They were there to respond to any crises or requests for assistance.

I don't know the exact history of the mutinies but I know the issue was about pay. There were not aborted coups as far as I am aware, though it is something I have only touched upon in my reading.

Archived