Dodgy Insurance Men

DRIVER

Nobody begrudes a person the right to make a wage ,but this recession is just starting to bite here(as regards construction certainly) and for our Govm't to continue to allow migrant workers to come here earn money and send it back home to another economy whlst paying local workers to sit on their asses drawing jobseekers allowance , is madness ,

People from here are allowed to look for work anywhere in the UK - just the same as people from Yorkshire, Ireland, Scotland and anywhere else in the British Isles. Same rules should apply.

Construction has always been a business which has involved people going out into the world in search of the next place where people are starting to build again. People from all over these islands have always worked away for periods of time. Especially in construction. People from here would be annoyed if they suddenly found that they had been restricted from working away.

It is certainly a nervous time. The danger IMO is that by imposing or enforcing restrictive protectionist regulation, the island might risk future prosperity.

Not quite true, anyone with a Manx NI number is restricted to work in a EU country due to receprical agreements ( see Manx passport), also the laws have changed as far as Medical care is given to Manx residents visiting the UK.

But try and tell that to the 25 staff that have JUST been laid off from a major contractor here today

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
anyone with a Manx NI number is restricted to work in a EU country due

I think it is for Manx passport holders rather than those with Manx NI numbers, but there is an exception: you can have the 'not entitled to benefit from EU provisions relating to employment or establishment' endorsement removed from your passport if you have spent 5 or more continuous years living in the UK.

Not quite true, anyone with a Manx NI number is restricted to work in a EU country due to receprical agreements ( see Manx passport), also the laws have changed as far as Medical care is given to Manx residents visiting the UK.

But try and tell that to the 25 staff that have JUST been laid off from a major contractor here today

Not true

First any Manx person is able to work in UK, no restriction, no work permit

second any Manx person can work in EU as long as they are not 100% Manx. ie if they have a dad or grandad (or mum etc) born in UK or if they have ever lived in UK for 5 years

third any Manx person can work anywhere in the world, including EU, as long as they comply with local regulations and qualify

N I and health care as soon as you start paying in, because you are there and working, you are no longer a temporary visitor so you qualify for benefits and also NHS full health care, not just emergency

I have a couple of friends who are Manx born and bred who are either off to work in the UK or seriously considering it. Surely it's reciprocal?

When I worked in London I was never told that there was a boat in the morning?

Certainly people from the UK can work in the Isle of Man and vice versa without a work permit. However, citizens from other countries (including other EU countries) working in the UK under EU provisions relating to employment and establishment still require a work permit to work in the Isle of Man, subject to some limited exceptions.

CICA perhaps?

A reputable company with good products (just in case their lawyers are watching) but have been known to use commision based "cocks" to sell.

thay may be a reputable company, but dam me thay know how to make sure thay dont pay out on when u claim for something big,

i had a lot of stuff with them, a fair lump of cash a year thay got, have done from the age of 16, that was intill thay tryed to screw me over on a payment,

from that moment on i stopped evey one excepet the life insurance with them (as it was taken out when i was 16 its only penuts a year), and im still fighting the feckers now, 3 years on,

I have a couple of friends who are Manx born and bred who are either off to work in the UK or seriously considering it. Surely it's reciprocal?

Certainly people from the UK can work in the Isle of Man and vice versa without a work permit.

People from the UK used to require work permits on the IOM. Have the rules changed?

[quote name='Max Power' date='Feb 27 2009, 02:37 PM' post='404826

Was that because nobody speaks english in London anymore?

Mr Wright

I worked for a UK employer and was sent to EU country on contract, because I had a Manx NI number and my residential address was the ISLE OF MAN I was not covered under insurance or EU law. To get over this my employer transfered me to work direct for the EU company and applied for residency of Holland I was granted a permit to work but had to take out private insurance as well as having to pay Dutch NI and Tax. I spent over six years working in the EU returning to the island or UK every 13 weeks for a two week break. When I finally returned to live on the Island full time the IOM Government taxed me on the earnings from over seas even after I proved that I had already paid them in the EU. I took the case to court of apeal and lost, I was given double tax relief but what use was that when I already paid 49% tax in Holland. And By the way both my parents are English.

my residential address was the ISLE OF MAN .... When I finally returned to live on the Island full time the IOM Government taxed me on the earnings from over seas even after I proved that I had already paid them in the EU.

Are you saying that you were taxed by the IOM on all of what you had earned in the Netherlands during all of the more than 6 years that you were working there?

Did you become fully resident in the Netherlands during that time? I know that you said you applied. Were you somehow still officially resident on the IOM?

There is surely some factor which you have either missed out or not made clear because there is no way that you can be taxed for money earned off island if you are not living on the island. That would be crazy.

If people work during the week in the UK, say for extended periods, but are normally resident on the IOM, do they pay UK or IOM income tax? I would have assumed that they pay UK tax on their UK earnings.

Archived