Dodgy Insurance Men

DRIVER

There are 20 uk insurance sales people on the island at the moment, real high pressure type selling, cold calling, very nosey, do they not need work permits ? :(

My mate has been approached by them. Gave them some deposit, they kept calling her for her bank details. She said she wants to cancel it and they asked for her bank details to refund the money...even though she paid cash. Had numerous calls from them, approached her in the street a few times about it. Hope they found the boat to get back on!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everybodys welcome here as long as they improve /enhance the quality of life of the local population !

If they don't they should not be issued work permits.

It should be the responsobility of their own gov/country to find employment for them :)

But that's like applying rules and standards where they don't exist on the Island. How many people enhance and improve the quality of life on the Island and how many don't?

there used to be people calling at my workplace with briefcases asking for a previous employee of the company who had not worked there for at least 15 years (well before I joined it), then proceeded to try and sell me stuff. For the next 2 years they did the same thing asking for the same person, and maybe I could be forgiven for giving them a hard time about getting their database up to date and showing them the door after politely telling them that I am already paying the national debt in insurances one way and another, and why would I consider using a company with such lousy record keeping !

I didn't see them again :D

Was that because nobody speaks english in London anymore?

Have you ever even been to London? I should imagine you'd be terrified......

It's good to see that you've given up trying to be witty

Stick to sarcasm and pissing people off,you're good at that :)

my residential address was the ISLE OF MAN .... When I finally returned to live on the Island full time the IOM Government taxed me on the earnings from over seas even after I proved that I had already paid them in the EU.

Are you saying that you were taxed by the IOM on all of what you had earned in the Netherlands during all of the more than 6 years that you were working there?

Did you become fully resident in the Netherlands during that time? I know that you said you applied. Were you somehow still officially resident on the IOM?

There is surely some factor which you have either missed out or not made clear because there is no way that you can be taxed for money earned off island if you are not living on the island. That would be crazy.

If people work during the week in the UK, say for extended periods, but are normally resident on the IOM, do they pay UK or IOM income tax? I would have assumed that they pay UK tax on their UK earnings.

Yes I was taxed for the whole six years I was away by the IOM Government, I could not pay the bill so ended up losing my flat which was on a Government morgage. I was granted residency in Holland but unless you notify the IOM Government that you will no longer reside on the Island, then you have to pay, and because I owned a home here it would have been hard to prove. May I also point out that I was not aware that I had to notify the Government.

Is that what is meant by a practicing lawyer?

Law and medicine are clearly the most difficult fields to master: even the best lawyers and doctors only stop practicing when they retire!

...and insurance actuaries. But I'd always prefer a lawyer, doctor or actuary who was not practising on me but knew what they were doing! One of those little pecularities of our rich linguistic heritage.

When I finally returned to live on the Island full time the IOM Government taxed me on the earnings from over seas even after I proved that I had already paid them in the EU. I took the case to court of apeal and lost, I was given double tax relief but what use was that when I already paid 49% tax in Holland. And By the way both my parents are English.

Under the wording abut double tax arrangements that the Revenue issue I understood that if you had already paid 49% tax in the Netherlands the IOM Revenue would net this off against your Manx tax liability. This would then have made the latter amount owing zero, given that tax rates here are much lower than 49%. Were you required to pay Manx tax on income that had already been taxed - ie they did not net off the 49%? Sounds odd.

When I finally returned to live on the Island full time the IOM Government taxed me on the earnings from over seas even after I proved that I had already paid them in the EU. I took the case to court of apeal and lost, I was given double tax relief but what use was that when I already paid 49% tax in Holland. And By the way both my parents are English.

Under the wording abut double tax arrangements that the Revenue issue I understood that if you had already paid 49% tax in the Netherlands the IOM Revenue would net this off against your Manx tax liability. This would then have made the latter amount owing zero, given that tax rates here are much lower than 49%. Were you required to pay Manx tax on income that had already been taxed - ie they did not net off the 49%? Sounds odd.

Yes I had to pay Manx tax on top of what Id paid overseas. I know of at least two others that worked away in the 70s that returned to the same problem and one of those also lost his home. The way I see it is if Id known about informing the tax about leaving the island or if id sold my place before I left things may have worked out. On the bright side I will get a small pension from the Dutch. The laws may have change since the 70s but im not sure.

The work permit office need to make themselves 'a bit more public' over the coming months, including writing to employers, if they have any sense, as they are likely to come under a great deal of scruitiny soon IMO. There are clearly already a number of disgruntled local workers (many now unemployed) who once a bit more organised will no doubt soon start taking them to task via MHKs etc. I also think they need to start thinking about extending their 'restrictions' to far more other areas too.

Yet more of your nanny state stuff Comrade Tatlock ? <- :)

The work permit system contradicts the "freedom to flourish" message IMO since, almost invariably, an open market and the free movement of labor are indivisible. Any restrictions ultimately restrict the economy and sends out a message that this is a place where it is difficult to do business because restrictive conditions apply.

I can remember hearing of a case (and the rules may now have changed) when a person was required to hold a work permit in order to open a business employing people. Crazy.

Actually my support of the WPS is about cultural protection in the main, already the Manx have become the minority over the past 20 years. If businesses had enough market leeway, on an island this size you'd eventually possibly see only a tiny minority of Manx and the bulk of employees e.g. cut price Eastern Europeans etc. 'Freedom to Flourish' doesn't mean 'Freedom to Undercut and wipe out the indigenous population and force locals to leave'.

Nothing remotely communist about that.

was this rock uninhabited before the vikings came?? doubtful, in which case most if not all the 'manx' are of scandenavian/danish decent anyway.

was this rock uninhabited before the vikings came?? doubtful, in which case most if not all the 'manx' are of scandenavian/danish decent anyway.

Do you mean Scandanavian/norse/descent?

In any case I think you'll find that we are mainly Celts and were living on this rock well before the Vikings arrived!

Law and medicine are clearly the most difficult fields to master: even the best lawyers and doctors only stop practicing when they retire!

To be pragmatic, I think it should be practising. ;)

To be pedantic it depends whether you use the English English or the American English spelling.

Archived