200+ New Jobs As Tesco Expands

AlexMcC

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WE should be grateful to Teso's for employing persons who in years gone by would have been on benfits etc

And putting those currently in jobs and owning their own businesses out of work.

Research on retailing carried out in the UK on the impact of large supermarkets found that on average their arrival resulted in the closure of 40 local shops. So a doubling of Tesco into areas that it does not currently cover in any depth will probably result in the closure of say 10-20 shops to offset against the low level jobs they create.

John I don't think there will be much, if any, net gain in jobs as a result of this expansion as it will put other out of business.

Anyways I always shop local - Co-Op or Shoprite down South - so makes sod all difference to me.

What's local about the Co-op, apart from the fact that it has a few stores on the Island? They are part of yet another UK chain.

Anyways I always shop local - Co-Op or Shoprite down South - so makes sod all difference to me.

What's local about the Co-op, apart from the fact that it has a few stores on the Island? They are part of yet another UK chain.

Co Op is owned by the members and is a retail society rather than a chain.

In that sense I think that it is a local store.

Like Tesco, it also sells local produce.

The store in Ramsey has an excellent selection of wine. But no local wine yet.

And putting those currently in jobs and owning their own businesses out of work.

Research on retailing carried out in the UK on the impact of large supermarkets found that on average their arrival resulted in the closure of 40 local shops. So a doubling of Tesco into areas that it does not currently cover in any depth will probably result in the closure of say 10-20 shops to offset against the low level jobs they create.

John I don't think there will be much, if any, net gain in jobs as a result of this expansion as it will put other out of business.

Which local shops are going to be affected by this proposed Tesco expansion is the ultimate question - 40 local shops closing (are there 40 local shops that even could close due to Tesco?). 2,000sq m (21,000 sq ft) is just under half the current store's 45,000 sq ft, and slightly bigger than Shoprite's Chester St store.

If we take a Tesco Extra (my home town one) - that is now 111,500 sq ft for a town population of around 40,000, plus outlying villages, so catchment area is probably larger than the island's population, but we're not talking about something of that size. That store has clothing, electrics, homeware, children's section as well as the normal supermarket stuff. If we take that information, which shops is Douglas likely to lose?

Co Op is owned by the members and is a retail society rather than a chain.

In that sense I think that it is a local store.

The Co-Op has its headquarters in Manchester. It is a UK organisation, like Tesco, the only difference is that the dividends are (supposedly) paid to the customers rather than shareholders.

The Co-Operative Group - Wikipedia

If we take that information, which shops is Douglas likely to lose?

I bet Waltons, Colebourns and MTV are bricking it - I reckon they've taken a small hit already by M&S opening its AV department.

I'm assuming Tesco have greater buying power to undercut the local electrical stores.

If we take that information, which shops is Douglas likely to lose?

I bet Waltons, Colebourns and MTV are bricking it - I reckon they've taken a small hit already by M&S opening its AV department.

I'm assuming Tesco have greater buying power to undercut the local electrical stores.

You could be right about those stores. But they are already in competition with the internet. I think that there would be a good argument to say that only a big store with its own distribution network could realistically compete with the internet and survive, long term.

But it isn't like that any longer, is it Lee? You can't always look back and think times were better then, they weren't for very many people and had probably more social inequities than now. Fishing has gone so we will never see Douglas harbour like that ever again. What we need now is to envigorate it with other replacement commerces; Tesco and Dandara being less popular but the only apparent choices at the moment.

I'm not sure how you can argue that Tesco envigorates anything?

If you live in Port Erin the Co-Op is local, whilst Tesco is in Douglas. That's what Mutley meant.

to be honest, tesco have done more for the islands farmers then any other store on the island,

thay may be a hugh store, and in england thay do shaft the local famers, but here thay have really done the island well,

so bigger the better

Flouting the planning laws, which were laid out when Tesco first moved here is bad enough, but it's even worse for the island in the longer term. 200 jobs being created; look at the unemployment figures, they'll have to bring in staff.

Somebody's PR machine is at work here, I can't work out if its Tesco's or 'our' government's.

Archived