200+ New Jobs As Tesco Expands

AlexMcC

you've only to look at what happened when B&Q opened, places like Todhunter & Elliott, Gellings Foundry, John Bell, John North, Bon Ton Store etc. closed, depending what extra lines Tesco sell upstairs (clothing and electrical ?) it is inevitable that other businesses selling clothing and electrical stuff will become uneconomic and shed jobs or close. There is only a certain amount of demand for goods and to spread it about more thinly has an inevitable effect. The shops who used to provide a skilled service facility for electrical/electronic goods simply don't have that advantage now as the products are not made to be repaired any more, just skip it and start again as it's probably obsolete by the time the guarantee expires. I am dismayed that our Government seem to bend over backwards to facilitate some multinationals to come here by building them multi-storey car parks and giving them land for a song (including obliterating existing streets). If you look at other places such as the Lake District there are very few chain stores who have got a foothold and the place is alive with independant shops, Keswick I think has something like 16 outdoor equipment shops and a good number of bakers, grocers and clothing shops (and very few charity shops !)

I wonder what would happen to small electrical shops if there were a Tesco in Castletown :P

I suspect the 200 new jobs will be part time so exagerates the figure

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those in the competition who do not survive will hopefully be fit and bright enough to offer specilaist services or retrain

That's the whole point - it isn't a competitive market when everyone has to exist within the Tesco paradigm or die.

nobody has a problem with robinsons moving into the shopshites to share the roof.

Flouting the planning laws, which were laid out when Tesco first moved here is bad enough, but it's even worse for the island in the longer term. 200 jobs being created; look at the unemployment figures, they'll have to bring in staff.

Somebody's PR machine is at work here, I can't work out if its Tesco's or 'our' government's.

funny how those laws are basically a restrictive trade practice, which is also wrong?? the thing with all the little shops is that if you want certain items/makes you may have had to trawl round lots of little shops. it is easier for the customer for everything to be in one place. at the end of the day, right or wrong, society/consumer needs and wants have out grown the little corner shop. even the garages sell bread and milk, some even sell booze. tesco are doing what shopshite used to with a meat and fish counter where you can talk to someone and ask for things, not have to rummage through polystyrene trays in a futile search. shopshite cut the 'service', probably cos of cost, tesco's are still providing it. it would be nice to see the cafe back ( like M&S ) thinking about it, M&S seem to do it all, food, clothes, cafe, TV's, toys at crimbo, cards, bedding, crockery, and a multistorey carpark!! tesco would only seem to be asking for the same as what M&S already have, who's moaning about M&S??? where's their competition in this freedom to flounder??

the thing with all the little shops is that if you want certain items/makes you may have had to trawl round lots of little shops. it is easier for the customer for everything to be in one place. at the end of the day, right or wrong, society/consumer needs and wants have out grown the little corner shop.

I see the problem with Tesco and large supermarkets in general is that it began with convenience of 'everything under one roof' and cheap prices, but through growth and very aggressive practices they've stuffed everything else. Not just smaller local shops, but suppliers, the labor market, planning departments, everything's been bulldozed in their path, and then when you've only got tesco left, they can do what they hell they like.

Will you be happy when they've squeezed farmers so much that farms go under and Tesco buy everything abroad? When they've squeezed little shops and associated business so much that town centres are deserted, and the only jobs left are shelf stackers and checkout positions and the only place to go is a massive Tesco warehouse on the outskirts of town? When they control the price of not only food, but electronics, petrol, insurance and finance?

All for the sake of a few two for ones you didn't really need and a fiver off your weekly shop?

Use your heads, shop local, and keep the money local.

When they control the price of not only food, but electronics, petrol, insurance and finance?

I, for one, wouldn't mind Tesco 'controlling' the price of petrol here. They might charge a reasonable price, as opposed to the rip-off merchants that we're currently burdened with. Notice that petrol prices have been creeping up over the last few weeks - why?

Given the numerous negative comments on this forum about electrical retailers on the Island, their prices and shoddy service, it would seem that not everyone would be against Tesco becoming more active in this market either.

Face it, retailing has changed, for better or worse, along with everything else. We don't live in shoe boxes in the middle of the road or send 8 year-olds up chimneys any more.

the thing with all the little shops is that if you want certain items/makes you may have had to trawl round lots of little shops. it is easier for the customer for everything to be in one place. at the end of the day, right or wrong, society/consumer needs and wants have out grown the little corner shop.

I see the problem with Tesco and large supermarkets in general is that it began with convenience of 'everything under one roof' and cheap prices, but through growth and very aggressive practices they've stuffed everything else. Not just smaller local shops, but suppliers, the labor market, planning departments, everything's been bulldozed in their path, and then when you've only got tesco left, they can do what they hell they like.

Will you be happy when they've squeezed farmers so much that farms go under and Tesco buy everything abroad? When they've squeezed little shops and associated business so much that town centres are deserted, and the only jobs left are shelf stackers and checkout positions and the only place to go is a massive Tesco warehouse on the outskirts of town? When they control the price of not only food, but electronics, petrol, insurance and finance?

All for the sake of a few two for ones you didn't really need and a fiver off your weekly shop?

Use your heads, shop local, and keep the money local.

i see your argument, but what is local?? the only products the island produces are meat,fish, some veggies. fruit??? ( the odd strawberry?? ) and perhaps bread ( though they have to import flour this year? ) there isn't any other local produce, we don't make clothes ( in any volume ), TV's, cars, frozen foods ( except GOOD icecream and ready meals at mannin foods ). we can't buy local produce for many of our 'needs'! we can choose to buy imported products from wherever, whether that be arkwrights or tesco, and we certainly don't produce 'fuel' unless a few logs counts? the only people in the chain i have concerns for are the farmers,( that there are really too many of with the available land using modern farming practices ) they must be one of the few 'industries' where the BUYER tells YOU what they will pay for the product. everybody else works out the costs and sticks a markup on it, not farmers selling livestock to the one and only abatoir. i can see the utopian desire to keep Mr and Mrs quayle in the corner shop their grandparents used to have 50 years ago, but unfortunately times have moved on and not all ( very few really ) are happy to pay a premium for someone else's benefit. it is all about the bottom line, and going back to the good old days is i think an impossible dream, good though it was with actual community spirit and pride and respect etc. the greed of business in the name of shareholders is the root cause, but how can we stop it as many of us are the shareholders?? it's a turkeys voting for christmas scenario?? i'm sure as you predict, it will come and bite us one day, but for now we trudge merrily to the gas chamber in blissful ignorance.

i think this could be there way of getting permission out of town for a new tesco

You might not be too far from the truth there. Wasn't the original site for Tesco owned by the Manx Co-op and the planning permission obtained by them to build a store with petrol station etc. Then the Manx Co-op decided that they didn't want to build a store on the site but the land would be worth considerably more with the obtained planning permission? In walk Tesco, buy the land with planning permission and build a store.

So if Tesco are seeking planning permission to extend the store and errr... build a multi storey car park, what's to stop them from selling the store with planning permission for a 'multi storey car park' and then relocating their new store. Any new owner of the old site gets a plot with planning permission for a multi storey car park to create even more conjestion.

I could be completely wrong of course and the above is only my own speculation and thoughts....

i see your argument, but what is local??

I know very little is produced locally these days, but shopping "local" can keep more money in our economy rather than exporting that money to the UK. The more money circulating in our economy means there's more chance of it ending up in your pocket and less chance of people losing their jobs.

An example I gave ages ago in another thread -

If you want to buy a camera and buy in from Keigs or Morrisons then the cost price of the camera goes off island, but the profit stays on island and the expenses (wages, etc.) stay on island.

If you buy it from Jessops then the cost price of the camera goes off island, the profit goes off island, and only the expenses (wages, etc.) stay on island.

If you buy from Warehouse Express then everything goes off island.

If you buy it from Jessops then the cost price of the camera goes off island, the profit goes off island, and only the expenses (wages, etc.) stay on island.

Plus the VAT thing relating to non resident companies, which means the sales don't count towards our GDP so don't get included in our share of vat receipts.

to be honest, tesco have done more for the islands farmers then any other store on the island,

thay may be a hugh store, and in england thay do shaft the local famers, but here thay have really done the island well,

so bigger the better

Think you will find that Shoprite has done more for the local farmers with local produce going into all their stores, serving the whole of the island, not just one shop in Douglas.

If you buy from Warehouse Express then everything goes off island.

But you save enough money to potentially spend a bit on something where the profit definitely stays on island - perhaps a meal at Cheeky Boy's posh burger emporium.

If, say regulation, was to restrict trade such that people were forced to buy from small shops* --> then otherwise potentially viable long term self sufficient local trade would suffer from people having less free money to spend. Money saved buying a TV at Tesco, or online - might likely end up in the pockets of some other local business. Provided trade is not restricted.

*edited

Archived