Are There Any Underground Music Clubs On The Island?

Gilligan

Hi all,

Apart from the usuall clubs (outback, havana, bbb...) are there any underground clubs?

The kind that plays tunes that aren't heard on the radio?

The reason I wanna know is that I want to hear dubstep, and grindy electro, and drum n bass...the only music i've heard so far when I've been out is chart music.

Thanks

G

Hi all,

Apart from the usuall clubs (outback, havana, bbb...) are there any underground clubs?

Bordellos dance floor is underground. Those stairs can be tricky when you've had a few.

Ditto Havana (allegedly with a genuine trogladyte DJ! :D )

Hi all,

Bordellos dance floor is underground. Those stairs can be tricky when you've had a few.

what they have a dj who lives in a cave

are you sure hes not one of thoughs monkeys that swings from the rafters at energy fm

Hi all,

The kind that plays tunes that aren't heard on the radio?

The reason I wanna know is that I want to hear dubstep, and grindy electro, and drum n bass...the only music i've heard so far when I've been out is chart music.

Thanks

G

Don't know of anywhere that plays dubstep / grime / d&b etc. exclusively, but the lads who run 'Sonic Jihad' certainly play some amongst the mix of styles they play, probably your best bet at the moment, the next one is on March 14th at the old Guys and Dolls on Walpole Avenue 9pm start. Theres never really been a club dedicated to 'alternative' music be that guitar or dance, but there are 'one off' or 'semi regular' nights that crop up here and there so best to keep your eye out for flyers / posters or check some of the local music websites like Manxbands which has calendar with lots of music nights / events / gigs listed.

Theres also a new night at The Traff in Douglas starting next saturday (March 14th) called 'Something Else', I'm sure DJ Fionn will play a pretty wide range of stuff, certainly a chance of some electro / techno amongst other punky guitar stuff and new wave, indie etc. Best check the above date with the venue as I'm not 100% sure whether its friday or saturday but its definately next weekend

Agreed with Buggane. Sonic Jihad will see you right. Also Bandage will be up and running more often soon.

Odd Shape Alpha tend to cater for electro (justice, Tigra, Riton type stuff) and Warp Records esque stuff.

Keep a look out on www.manxbands.co.uk as there will be gig / night updates on there too.

A nice drum and bass night would be good though.

Surely, if any clubs were listed here, they wouldn't any longer be, as it were, underground?

Agreed, there were a few going on at various places out of Douglas up untill a couple of years ago, But the Police were so tight they soon reined them in.

Hi all,

Hi all,

what they have a dj who lives in a cave

are you sure hes not one of thoughs monkeys that swings from the rafters at energy fm

lol I am far from a monkey although i look like one and have never worked for any radio station !!!!

:angry:

Archived