Jersey's Health Agreement Scrapped From 1 April

Cronky

I knew it was on the cards. My question is are they likely to bring the date forward as they have done in Jersey?

Did they bring the date forward? The formal notice date was issued earlier for Jersey and Guernsey, I don't think those dates changed at any point. We haven't had formal notice yet, so no date is set.

From the Jersey Evening Post:

Health agreement with UK to end next month

ISLANDERS who fall ill or have accidents in the UK will soon have to pay for their treatment, Health announced today following confirmation that the UK is scrapping the reciprocal health agreement from 1 April

This seems a bit hurried. Are we next?

I've never understood how these agreements were 'reciprocal' when they can be discontinued by one side.

I don't know if this means the agreement between us and Jersey will also end?

I feel we shouldn't end the agreement and keep treating folks from Jersey and UK. The costs of admin to end it would quickly outstrip any saving to be made. Also any visitors might be more inclined to visit us knowing they can save money on insurance and have ease of mind.

I feel we shouldn't end the agreement and keep treating folks from Jersey and UK. The costs of admin to end it would quickly outstrip any saving to be made. Also any visitors might be more inclined to visit us knowing they can save money on insurance and have ease of mind.

it won't exactly help the tourist industry of people realise they have to take out health insurance for a trip to the IOM.

I've never understood how these agreements were 'reciprocal' when they can be discontinued by one side.

It's the medial treatment that's reciprocal, not the agreement itself. We treat theirs, they treat ours.

it won't exactly help the tourist industry of people realise they have to take out health insurance for a trip to the IOM.

That's what I mean, we could use it as a marketing tool.

"One less thing to pack, come to the IOM"

Archived